ECN Forum
Posted By: Electric Ian Smoke Detectors - 05/22/05 01:25 AM
When adding a smoke detector in a finished attic addition, is it required that it be interconnected to the other smoke detectors in the house.
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Smoke Detectors - 05/22/05 01:33 AM
I believe so, and would want it done so anyway. What's the point of a detector where nobody can hear it?
Posted By: Electric Ian Re: Smoke Detectors - 05/22/05 01:51 AM
I agree, I'm just a little concerned about compatability. Are most brand line voltage smoke detectors compatable with each other relative to being interconnected?
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Smoke Detectors - 05/22/05 09:29 AM
Most important is the location. A smoke detector must be placed so it can detect the fumes. In the wrong place, they won't detect anything till a blaze is well underway. We have one that goes off if we make toast with the kitchen door open- funny thing is, our Shitz-zui (supposedly a dog?) starts howling seconds BEFORE it goes off, so we got two!
Alan
Posted By: iwire Re: Smoke Detectors - 05/22/05 04:18 PM
Depending on where you live smoke detectors may not be suitable for attic mounting.

Many have a minimum ambient temperature that they can be exposed to.

Here that rules out smoke detectors in unheated spaces. In these spaces we use heat detectors which are also interconnected.
Posted By: Speedy Petey Re: Smoke Detectors - 05/22/05 06:01 PM
I am surprised no one mentioned the fact that this is purely a local building code issue.
These requirements are nowhere in the NEC.

I suggest contacting a local AHJ office for the exact answer.

From a personal opinion, I would say yes, interconnect them. Also use the same (or compatable) brand.

*Typo*

[This message has been edited by Speedy Petey (edited 05-22-2005).]
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Smoke Detectors - 05/22/05 07:14 PM
Here that rules out smoke detectors in unheated spaces. In these spaces we use heat detectors which are also interconnected
This is not an adopted requirement however.
Posted By: Speedy Petey Re: Smoke Detectors - 05/22/05 11:59 PM
This is not an adopted requirement however.
In who's jurisdiction?
It seems it is a requirement in Bob's (iwire) area.

Like I mentioned before, different areas have different SD requirements.
Posted By: iwire Re: Smoke Detectors - 05/23/05 12:26 AM
Speedy, Scott and I live only about 45 minutes apart. [Linked Image]

Scott is correct, I did not mean to imply it was required.

My point really was do not install smoke detectors in unheated spaces.

If fire detection is wanted or required in these areas use heat detectors.
Posted By: Speedy Petey Re: Smoke Detectors - 05/23/05 02:44 AM
Sorry guys, didn't mean to stick my nose it didn't belong. [Linked Image]

I think we need a little spot for our locations like some other boards have. [Linked Image]
Posted By: LK Re: Smoke Detectors - 05/23/05 03:03 AM
Speedy,

Good point, on location, it can cause some confusion, on rules and regulations, laws and requirements differ from towns, counties, and states, It may be better if we had some way to identify the area we were from on the post, like STATE/COUNTY displayed on our post.
Posted By: John W decker Re: Smoke Detectors - 05/25/05 11:06 AM
I install alot of fire alarms systems for people with disabilities in the state of New York. I always put heat detectors in the attic that are interconnected. The different tempatures in our state can cause problems with some smoke detectors. We all need to remember that the code is just the basics and we need to use our own judgement in adding extra smokes and heat detectors to ensure proper coverage has been done.
Posted By: Ron Re: Smoke Detectors - 05/25/05 11:49 AM
NFPA 72-2002
5.7.1.8 Unless specifically designed and listed for the expected conditions, smoke detectors shall not be installed if any of the following ambient conditions exist:
(1) Temperature below 0°C (32°F)
(2) Temperature above 38°C (100°F)
(3) Relative humidity above 93 percent
(4) Air velocity greater than 1.5 m/sec (300 ft/min)
Posted By: LK Re: Smoke Detectors - 05/25/05 09:14 PM
On smoke installations, we had a call from the fire inspector, he wanted us to install strobe lights on an interconneced system,
it appears when he went to the home to inspect, the owner, had to put his hearing aid on, while he was talking to the inspector.
just one more thing to check when installing fire safety devices.
© ECN Electrical Forums