ECN Forum
Posted By: northstar electric pool heat pump's - 05/05/05 11:10 PM
does anyone have suggestions for GFCi protection on these things. at the unit or breaker. Does it matter. thanks in advance.

NORTHSTAR ELECTRIC
Posted By: Trumpy Re: electric pool heat pump's - 05/05/05 11:56 PM
northstar,
I wouldn't recommend it, these units are like a refrigeration plant and the Compressor leakage currents that are comon with this sort of equipment could trip the GFCI out.
Just to clarify that statement, I wouldn't personally fit one to any air con or refrigeration gear.
I would however use one on anything else. [Linked Image]
Hope this helps.

{Message edited to clarify statement} [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 05-05-2005).]
Posted By: renosteinke Re: electric pool heat pump's - 05/06/05 01:03 AM
Trumpy's advice has certainly stood the test of time....and, I might add, reflects upon the stormy history of the GHI- which is why I am also leery of the new AFCI mandates! But that's another thread....

For the past two years, GFI's have been manufactured to a different standard, one that supposedly reduces nuisance tripping with motor or compressor loads. Or, so they say...

It is interesting to note that there do exist GFI's, intended for use with older pool lights, that are set to trip at a higher level (20ma, I think). And AFCI's are essentially 30ma GFI's.

Now, if this is a 220v. piece of equipment, the GFI would be in the form of an expensive breaker. So would anything over 20 amps.
Best suggestion I can make is- call the heat pump maker and ask!
Posted By: Trumpy Re: electric pool heat pump's - 05/06/05 02:29 AM
Yes,
I would agree with John:
Best suggestion I can make is- call the heat pump maker and ask!
It kind of makes me wonder about the legality, or indeed the safety factor of running a piece of equipment like this, where a winding may short to ground.
This is amplified by the fact that people will be immersed in the water supplied by a unit like this.
One other recommendation I would make is ask your Inspector or AHJ about this one.
If there are GFCI's now that can overcome these Compressor leaksge currents, that would be a great leap forward.
Nuisance tripping is usually the first reason why most safety systems are either bypassed or removed completely. [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums