ECN Forum
Posted By: umagooma Color code - 04/24/05 10:20 AM
Hello everyone,
Got a question I hope you can help me with. My brother just got some machinery from japan that we need to put plugs on. The 220volt machines have the following colored wires in the cord: green/yellow, brown, and blue. Which one of these wires is the ground. I would say the green/yellow but want to make sure. Thanks for the help..........Jim
Posted By: jooles Re: Color code - 04/24/05 10:45 AM
Green/yellow = earth/ground.

Brown = live (hot)
Blue = Neutral.
Posted By: iwire Re: Color code - 04/24/05 12:06 PM
Jim, I agree with jooles color code.

I just want to add that when in doubt a simple continuity test from the machinery's electrical enclosure to the conductors in the cord will determine the true grounding conductor.

Bob
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Color code - 04/24/05 04:59 PM
The blue shows up in 400.22(C)

[This message has been edited by gfretwell (edited 04-24-2005).]
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Color code - 04/24/05 05:15 PM
And- if the machine has receptacles mounted on it- they will be only 100 volts...even if it looks like a standard receptcal!
Posted By: Roger Re: Color code - 04/24/05 06:27 PM
From Umagooma,

umagooma
New Member posted 04-24-2005 01:56 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks everyone for the quick replies! I do agree to take a continuity test but the machines are at my brothers house half way across N. Caroilna. He is getting a qualified person to hook this up for him but I just wanted to check here for myself. I forgot to mention that these machines are rated 220volts(5.6 amps) and are from China, not Japan. They are mixers for ink as he is a color chemist and will be using these mixers to come up with colors. Thanks for all the help..Jim

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 04-24-2005).]
Posted By: umagooma Re: Color code - 04/24/05 07:20 PM
Sorry Roger and thanks, will do...Jim
Posted By: Roger Re: Color code - 04/24/05 07:37 PM
Jim, no appology needed, and you're welcome.

Roger
Posted By: pauluk Re: Color code - 04/24/05 07:45 PM
This color code is now the standard on appliance cords throughout almost all of Europe, as well as many other countries, including Australia and New Zealand.

In fact brown, blue, green/yellow is virtually the standard system now for anywhere outside the American and Japanese spheres of influence.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Color code - 04/24/05 09:06 PM
Same color codes in France on domestic single phase equipment= green/yellow for ground (earth), blue always for neutral and brown for hot (live). I have an idea that these colors were chosen because of possible color-blindness by end users. However, in house wiring here there are a lot of old 3-phase house installations, or single phase conversions from 3-phase. ANY color other than blue must therefore be considered a possible 'hot', and a real problem is DIY Brits' wiring neutrals in black in French houses and baffling French electicians.
Paul- Question- wouldn't the importer have to ensure compliance with US standards on equipment in order to bring it into the United States- similar to the European CE mark?
Alan
Posted By: pauluk Re: Color code - 04/25/05 11:42 PM
I have no idea about the legalities Alan, but I would imagine that a small quantity of privately imported equipment would not be covered by general rules for mass import/sales anyway.

That's how it works here anyway: Importers intending to re-sell new equipment may have to comply with the latest requirements, but you can have gear sent to you privately with few restrictions. I've had lots of U.S. equipment sent to me over the years.

To take another example, importers selling thousands of new cars here have to fit tail lights with the European approval mark and separate amber turn signal. If you're just importing one car privately from the U.S. though, there's no problem keeping the DoT lights, red turn signals, etc.
© ECN Electrical Forums