ECN Forum
Posted By: Duane Switch Box Removal - 03/27/05 02:47 PM
I'm an Industrial Electrician. Don't do much Residential. Is there an easy way to get a plastic 2 gang switch box out of an insulated wall? I didn't wanna leave it in the wall cavity. 2 nails holding it in. I replaced it with a 3 gang. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Gregtaylor Re: Switch Box Removal - 03/27/05 03:56 PM
Take a hack saw blade with tape as a handle, and cut thru the nails along the stud.They're usually pretty soft steel. Turn the box on its back and slip it out sideways.
Posted By: denny3992 Re: Switch Box Removal - 03/27/05 05:14 PM
TRACE THE 2 GANG OUT, CUT THE OPENING, THEN PUT A SCREW DRIVER BETWEEN THE STUD AND THE BOX AND PRY IT OFF. THEN WHAT I DO IS CUT THE NAILS WITH MY DYKES. EASY CHEESY
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Switch Box Removal - 03/28/05 02:08 AM
Hi Duane,
Welcome to ECN!. [Linked Image]
Personally, I screw the boxes to the studs,
for this very reason.
Makes later removal, where this is required, much easier. [Linked Image]
Posted By: sierra electrician Re: Switch Box Removal - 03/28/05 02:49 AM
Trumpy, if use screws inside a NM box the screws must be grounded.

My method for box removal is: Shove the sawzall blade between the box & stud, cut the nails and pull the box straight out.

The new box going in gets screws as Trumpy described.

Rob

[This message has been edited by sierra electrician (edited 03-27-2005).]
Posted By: e57 Re: Switch Box Removal - 03/28/05 11:23 AM
I'm with Rob on this! Just remember to put a 16 - 24tpi blade on. A demo blade with 4 - 8 tpi will pull that sawsall right into the wall when it catches the nail.

A hammer works well to, if you're not concerned with the finish. [Linked Image]

An my personal favorite for 3 gang or larger is a metalic masonary box. (Why pay less!) And lots of room too. You can park your truck in there, and the only thing a Graffic Eye dimmer will fit in.
© ECN Electrical Forums