ECN Forum
Posted By: Ron Hoback Hammer Fasteners - 03/13/05 06:33 PM
Does anyone have a trick of the trade for removing a breaker panel that has been secured to the concrete wall with a hammer type nail in fastener, such as a Ramset Surelock. The basement waterproofing guys are going to patch a rod hole behind the service panel, so I have to remove the panel and then put it back up when they are done. I don't want to disfigure the panel.
Thanks
Ron
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Hammer Fasteners - 03/13/05 06:41 PM
Normally I'd use a large bar, but considering you want to reuse it you may be able to drill the heads of the pins off (start with a very small bit). Hopefully the drill bit is harder than the pin-head. In the future you might consider fastening the panel by another method.

Dave
Posted By: CRM Re: Hammer Fasteners - 03/13/05 06:42 PM
We usually use an angle grinder, to grind the head off the fastener, it works good, doesn"t damage the panel.
Posted By: livetoride Re: Hammer Fasteners - 03/13/05 07:41 PM
Drilling works for me, I have also ground them off. In real tight spots I have used a dremel tool to grind the head off. Rod
Posted By: Ron Hoback Re: Hammer Fasteners - 03/13/05 10:33 PM
Thanks everyone, I appreciate your advice. Personally I have never used these hammer fasteners for mounting panels. I usually use plastic anchors with #10 x 1" hex head sheet metal screw. They secure the panel rigidly, and they enable you to remove the box or panel if you need to.
Ron
Posted By: NonLinearLoad Re: Hammer Fasteners - 03/13/05 11:09 PM
You can also reshoot over the existing head without a new fastner loaded in the gun.

It disorts the panel a little, yet can be beaten back into shape, then a little caulk to seal back up if necessary.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Hammer Fasteners - 03/14/05 01:35 AM
Try tapping the head of the existing fastener with a drift pin....I don't know about concrete, but this often causes cement block to break free of the fastener, allowing it to be easily pulled free.
© ECN Electrical Forums