ECN Forum
Posted By: WiCeltic Now What? Old Electrician - 10/14/01 03:18 AM
Been involved with maintenance/electrical work since 18 yrs old, now at 55, my knees and back are shot, plus arthritis. Currently hold a state masters license, and self employed. Working mostly by myself, good help hard to find, not sure how much longer the body can hold up. What other career options are out there? Been thru the factory maintenance routine, companies fold up or move, and your out! Electrical contracting around here is tough, everybody and his brother is a electrician, and you should work for $10.
Been reading a lot of the topics over the past months, and find a large mix of opinions and advice. So finally thought I'd ask about some career advice. Appreciate all comments. This is a great forum!!

Mick
Posted By: Steve T Re: Now What? Old Electrician - 10/14/01 03:43 AM
Inspector, Home inspector, these don't require quite the physical labor.
Posted By: Dallas Re: Now What? Old Electrician - 10/14/01 04:44 AM
I almost lost a leg to a serious infection a few years back, (before employees) and since I really enjoy computers, I looked hard into programming and repairing them. I could sit at a bench or desk, and still make electricity work for me. Just in a different way.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Now What? Old Electrician - 10/14/01 09:03 AM
Mick,

Welcome! You've got a couple of years on me, but not many. I've been having some of the same thoughts and as a result, went through some training in Fiber Optics (technician) recently. It was a great experience for sure! I found it very interesting, and well within my capabilities. I'm not sure what I'll do with the experience, but at least I know that it's a viable option. It may even be something that someone could do from home, making patch cords, test leads, etc.

I wrote an Article on my 'experience' for the August CEE News. If you've got any questions about it I'd be happy to help if I can.
See >> 'Old Dogs'

[Linked Image]
Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 10-14-2001).]
Posted By: sparky Re: Now What? Old Electrician - 10/14/01 10:44 AM
HI Mick !
you certainly bring a good point to the forum. I've thought along those lines myself, as field construction sometimes reminds me of boxing, there's always someone faster & stronger awaiting thier debut.

You have no sick days as a contractor, and if you should sustain an injury it's best to keep it to yourself because people will not hire damaged goods.

anyways, it makes one think...
Posted By: electure Re: Now What? Old Electrician - 10/14/01 02:22 PM
Hi Mick, & Welcome!
If there are any larger contractors in your area, you might try a supervision/management position with them. It's just as hard for them to find good people to fill these positions as it is to find good labor help.
I'm nearly 50, & recently went back out in the field after a few years in management (I decided the old bod could take some more).
Although I'd like to keep my tools on until the day I drop, I realize that it won't be possible. [Linked Image] I'll end up back in an office.

Bill, that's a great article, and illustrates a good point. You're never too old to learn, and if you apply yourself you can be anything you want to be (NFL quarterback excluded). [Linked Image]
Posted By: Frank Cinker Re: Now What? Old Electrician - 10/14/01 02:52 PM
Mick,

I once read that in some States if you hold a Master Electricians License it qualified as a teaching license. For example, teaching at your local Technical School an an Electrical Instructor. Check you State requirements.

Frank
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Now What? Old Electrician - 10/14/01 05:24 PM
electure,

Surprisingly, I found that the knowledge and understanding needed to work with Fiber Optics was not very extensive at all. I'm not talking system design or anything like that. But the knowledge and skills necessary to work with this stuff - pull it and terminate it are easily within the reach of us all I think. We 'old(er) dogs' may even have an edge on the younger 'pups' in this occupation because a good part of it involves patience and following established procedures.

If you enjoy things like building models and have an attention for detail this could be right up your alley (might even enjoy it!). Most work being performed in clean, well-lit, temperature-controlled areas is not too hard to take either.

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: sparky Re: Now What? Old Electrician - 10/14/01 11:05 PM
Is there such a thing as 'electrician's knee' , cause i've already had one done. The bright side is i never need a wheather report, and had such a good time in the OR on that quailty hospital dope I was tellin' the doc's to do the other knee...anyways, i'm turnin' this into a 'whinebag' thread' [Linked Image]

I think we'd all like to end up in some sort of trade 'nitch' , some suggestions here sound more viable than my 'sorority light buld supervisor' retirement plan [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Now What? Old Electrician - 10/14/01 11:29 PM
Hi Mick,

I only do electrical contracting part of the time. I have an electronics background and a home workshop, so I'm in my element repairing TVs, VCRs, Hi-Fi etc. With today's "throw-away" equipment, there's not enough in that line to bring in full-time income but in combination with some other work it helps.

If the electronics side isn't your thing, with the lack of decent repair shops these days you might find a call for servicing vacuum cleaners, power tools, and so on. Even with a modern microwave oven and its complex programming, many problems are down to faulty interlock switches, shorted rectifiers and other easy-to-fix faults. I've found that there ARE still some people who wlll pay to have an appliance repaired rather than buy new. Many simply don't know of anywhere that will take on these jobs anymore, so I get a fair amount of work from word-of-mouth & personal recommendation.

Another thing you might consider is writing articles for various trade journals. I've been doing this for electronics publishers for about 15 years now.

All of this is on a self-employed/freelance basis, which may not suit everybody, but I like the flexibility and variety of work.

(For the record, I'm only 35.)
Posted By: Redsy Re: Now What? Old Electrician - 10/15/01 12:08 AM
Mick,
I like the teaching idea. I actually did it for 6 months a few years ago at a private trade school. The pay wasn't that good ($12.50/hr.), but the work is easy. And in conjunction with Social Security or a pension, it would be something I would do again after I "retire from field work".
Give it a try.
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Now What? Old Electrician - 10/15/01 02:31 AM
The good news:

I've finally got a $30 per hour job at the Greenbrier Resort Housing Project...

The bad news:
I wrenched my back catching a slipping ladder as a lineman was getting off a roof the other day... It hurts worse than any "typical" back pain I've ever had, I can hardly walk, much less work...

The inspection thing is looking better to me too...
Posted By: sparky Re: Now What? Old Electrician - 10/15/01 11:16 AM
hmm,
such an increpit lot!
oh well....
shall we quote the ol'
(The older I get, the better I was)
line here??
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Now What? Old Electrician - 10/15/01 01:51 PM
Good for you Virgil!

Maybe the PoCo owes you some Dr. visits/Therapy?

I hope that it all works out for you.

Bill
Posted By: WARREN1 Re: Now What? Old Electrician - 10/15/01 04:57 PM
Mick
Good to have a new member here on this forum.
I have a few years yet before I retire altogether (probably) or go into semi retirement, either going into teaching the code (if I can find a job), or inspections. At your age, you might consider those, as have been suggested, or you might consider going to school taking a CAD course such as Microstation or AutoCad. Being in the design end of the electrical business, I grew up with both and have never taken a formal training course on either. There are many others here at work who are very willing to help me when I get stuck. Don't know where you are, but getting a job with an electrical contractor, or one of the larger design firms may require you to move. And as you know, as we get older, we are less inclined to do that. I am sure you will make the right decision, because only you know what your interest are.
Good luck, and if we on this board can be of any other assistance, just let us know.
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Now What? Old Electrician - 10/15/01 05:34 PM
This is the same PoCo that wouldn't own up to having the bad splice at the drop that caused the TV, and a few other appliances to burn up. The customer is in possesion of the new compression fitting that solved the problem before I changed the service, but no paper work can be found on the repair!

Besides, I was the one who moved the ladder a few feet at the lineman's request, and I thought I had it on solid ground...

It was my own fault and I couldn't let him fall...

It feels a little better today, may get to work tomorrow (I hope)...

Yeah, Joe Musser of Musser Electric has his foot in the door at the Greenbrier and there's 10 to 15 years worth of work, and he's covered up and wants to team up on it.

Apparently it will be bid work, but he wants to base the labor figure at $30. That's about as good as it gets around here!
Posted By: sparky Re: Now What? Old Electrician - 10/15/01 11:58 PM
Virgil,
but ya didn't let the dude fall....your heart speaks volumes more than your words can

[Linked Image]
Posted By: electure Re: Now What? Old Electrician - 10/16/01 12:33 AM
Hey Virgil!
By the time you're done with your next job, you'll be older than I am now!!! [Linked Image]
Congrats
Posted By: George Corron Re: Now What? Old Electrician - 10/19/01 07:00 PM
Mick,
Don't get to check in much anymore, gonna get better soon. Your story is pretty personal with me, a motorcycle wreck took my knees (20 years later, arthritis) Knee replacement they don't wanna do, yet, so what now ?? I became an electrical inspector with an engineering firm, been a real good way to make a living, and I was surprised how much it was worth, lotsa opportunities.

Also was self employed for 12 years,had up to 20 employees, but the "depression" of '90 made me just close up shop, people were taking work for the cost of my materials, I can go broke better fishing thanks. Also been teaching for 17 years, and always hold that out as an option.

Been working at Dulles airport for 2 1/2 years, just quit there to go to the Pentagon....hmmmm, doesn't seem all that smart. George
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Now What? Old Electrician - 10/19/01 11:10 PM
I'm only 35 years old...

I've got 1700' of 3" PVC to lay on Tuesday.
I'm a week behind on a rewire.
I've got a trimout before 11-1-01.
And a few other jobs popping up...
Plus the $30 per hour thing with Musser once I get "caught up"...

And (drum roll please) I have a possible herniated disc, if it isn't yet it will be if I continue working and will require surgery. I'm not supposed to drive or even sit down, much less work. (lying in bed and standing only... of course I'm sitting at the 'puter now...cold pack on for 20 minutes, off for 40 minutes... no lifting more than 10 pounds... etc.)

The only thing paying my bills is deposits for upcoming work!!!

I am so screwed... (Sorry if that ain't PG)

Moral: get really good health insurance...

I really can't pin the blame on AP... it was my own fault plain and simple.
© ECN Electrical Forums