ECN Forum
Posted By: dride2324 light bulbs - 02/10/05 09:54 PM
Has anyone come up with a reasonable explanation for why light bulbs keep burning out (various types)very often
Posted By: BPiersel Re: light bulbs - 02/10/05 10:09 PM
What type of light bulbs? For incandescent bulbs, bulb life can be shortened by a supply voltage that is higher than the rated voltage (even 125V on a 120V lamp will reduce lamp life by almost 40%), excessive vibration, and frequent switching (added stress caused by applying full voltage to a cold filament).
Posted By: denny3992 Re: light bulbs - 02/11/05 01:13 AM
any body else think that you plant "bulbs" in the ground to grow flowers and you put lamps in a fixture??
Posted By: Norstarr Re: light bulbs - 02/11/05 01:26 AM
I put lamps in my living room and my wife puts bulbs in the garden. lol
Posted By: dride2324 Re: light bulbs - 02/11/05 02:14 AM
Thanks BPiersel
that helps explain what is happening to the incandescent bulbs (temperture and vibration)
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: light bulbs - 02/11/05 02:56 AM
Welcome to the newcomers......

Installing a simple dimmer to control the lighting instead of a switch results in increased bulb life also.

The #1 reason the lamps 'burn out' quick is that the majority are made "CHEAP", and there is a job security issue underlying also.

John
Posted By: e57 Re: light bulbs - 02/11/05 04:36 AM
The government conspiracey called "Planned Obsolecence" and its the LAW!

The only things allowed to be built to last are Military and farm equipment.

Things like lightbulbs are the expendables that keep the economy going. You could make one last much longer, but you would sell fewer of them.

Anyway, resistive connection in circuit, or lamp-holder. Ohm out in 20k range.
Posted By: Clydesdale Re: light bulbs - 02/11/05 04:43 AM
how many electrical contractors does it take to screw in a light bulb?...none, they have their apprentice do it!(and so they should, too). [Linked Image] yeah, constantly changing bulbs, too. and i have long thought the govt. let the roads get the way they so that people had to buy new cars, parts, ect.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: light bulbs - 02/11/05 05:51 AM
Somebody gave me a box of "sign bulbs" 15 years ago and I have never had one burn out. The problem is they are only 30w but I use them for soft lighting in my screen cage and they are perfect.
Posted By: marcspages Re: light bulbs - 02/11/05 09:26 AM
... and if you really want to stop spending your hard-earned cash on lamps, this is a solution many friends have found to work a treat! You'll have to convert the figures for your side of the Pond.

M.
Posted By: Steve Miller Re: light bulbs - 02/11/05 11:32 AM
Get (incandescent) bulbs rated 130v. A 130v bulb with 123 volts applied will last almost 3 times the rated life. By contrast a 120v bulb with 123v applied will last .7 times the rated life. If you're really curious I can dig out the formula for you. It's in one of my text books.
Posted By: LordError Re: light bulbs - 02/11/05 11:52 AM
i want to know your formula dude. email me last_resort9948@yahoo.com. or why not post it here so others can see it also.

thanks!!

cheersss!!!

marcus
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: light bulbs - 02/11/05 12:29 PM
If you use 130 volt lamps your light output is dereased. Just something to keep in mind.
Posted By: winnie Re: light bulbs - 02/11/05 01:51 PM
This PDF is written for low voltage DC halogen lamps: http://www.walamp.com/lpd/files/applicationnotes/isl297a.pdf

It isn't going to apply exactly to ordinary 120V lamps, but the general trends will apply, since the physics is pretty well similar.

The higher the applied voltage, the more current will flow. The greater the current flow, the more heat generated. The more heat generated, the hotter the filament will get. The hotter the filament, the greater the filament resistance. Net result: unlike an idea resistor where current is proportional to resistance, the current in a filament lamp goes up more slowly than the applied voltage.

The higher the temperature of the filament, the greater the light output and the greater fraction of the light output in the human visual range. At higher voltages the lamp will be more efficient.

The higher the temperature of the filament, the faster the evaporation of the tungsten. The lamp will have a much shorter life.

The relations are pretty significant exponentials. If you increase the voltage to a lamp by 10%, expect a decrease in life by something like 25%. The PDF above has approximate equations for the power, light output, and life of lamps.

-Jon
Posted By: BPiersel Re: light bulbs - 02/11/05 04:38 PM
Somebody gave me a box of "sign bulbs" 15 years ago and I have never had one burn out.
Sign bulbs have a sturdier filament and more filament supports (typical residental lamps support the filament only at the ends) to allow the lamp to withstand vibrations. You will find a similar construction in "rough service" or "garage door opener" lamps.

Also, operating lamps at a lower voltage will also produce a more yellow light due to the lower filament temperature.

BTW, I used to work for a company that makes programmable message boards and scoreboards, so I'm quite familiar with incandescent lamps, especially those made for signs. If you have more questions, ask, and I'll see what I can remember.

Brian
Posted By: Steve Miller Re: light bulbs - 02/11/05 07:57 PM
This is from memory, I'll dig out the text when I get home and add post then. It's from "Electrical Wiring - Commercial"

(Rated Voltage/Actual Voltage)^13 = (Actual Life/ Rated Life)

e.g. Assuming a bulb rated 130v and 1000 hr and receiving 123 volts ...
(130/123)^13 = (X/1000)
2.054X=1000
X = 2054 hours of actual life

In reverse: 120v 1000hr rated and receiving 123 volts
(120/123)^13 = X/1000
.725X = 1000
X= 725 hrs actual life

I'm home now and the formula is correct.
The text is "Electrical Wiring Commercial" Ray Mullin & Robert Smith (Delmar publishers)
It's in unit 14 if you have the book

[This message has been edited by Steve Miller (edited 02-11-2005).]
© ECN Electrical Forums