ECN Forum
Posted By: JRCAINSR Grey wire nuts - 02/09/05 03:22 PM
Can you properly splice 6 or 8 #12 under a grey wire nut. I have had nothing but problems with splice coming apart.
Posted By: Roger Re: Grey wire nuts - 02/09/05 03:38 PM
You can splice up to (6) #12's, go to the link below for one manufacturers info.

click on the "Wing Twist" type
http://www.idealindustries.com/wt/TwistOnWireConnectors.nsf

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 02-09-2005).]
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Grey wire nuts - 02/09/05 05:34 PM
Try stripping all the wires, lining them up together and wrapping tape tightly around them near the end. This keeps them all lined up. It's easier if you're using stranded wire. If it still gives you trouble, use a split bolt.

Dave
Posted By: hbiss Re: Grey wire nuts - 02/09/05 05:47 PM
People usually have problems because the conductors are too short to hold and/or the stripped ends are not lined up or long enough.

When I do this I strip a little more than what is needed, line them all up, pre-twist, then cut the end off to the proper length. Never had a problem with even more than 6 or 8 #12s and the proper wire nut.

-Hal
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Grey wire nuts - 02/09/05 06:24 PM
I have never been a great fan of that many wires under one wirenut whether it is a gray or a big blue. My work around in those same situations is to make what I call a bridge splice. Its simple - four of the wires under one wire nut and four of the wires under another wire nut with a jumper from one wirenut to the other one. Granted you will use an extra gray wirenut, but for me its peace of mind. Or go with the split bolt as has been said. Those cost $6 bucks for the #2 size here nowadays.
Posted By: earlydean Re: Grey wire nuts - 02/09/05 06:57 PM
If you go with the split-bolt you run the risk of a red tag. Split bolts are listed for 2 conductors only.
Posted By: SolarPowered Re: Grey wire nuts - 02/09/05 07:36 PM
I recall reading that, in Europe, they have splicing devices that consist of an insulated bar with individual holes to recieve each wire, and a compression screw for each wire. Very neat, and very secure connections. Is anything like that available in the US?

[This message has been edited by SolarPowered (edited 02-09-2005).]
Posted By: winnie Re: Grey wire nuts - 02/09/05 08:00 PM
There are various block of this sort available in the US, eg:
http://www.polarisconnectors.com/index.html

I don't know if there are _smaller_ size versions available, but the large ones are a great replacement for split bolts.

-Jon
Posted By: SolarPowered Re: Grey wire nuts - 02/09/05 09:24 PM
That's exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of. The smallest one they have is for #4-14, so it's really huge for splicing #12.

Is there anything smaller around?
Posted By: highkvoltage Re: Grey wire nuts - 02/09/05 09:53 PM
If your look at any container that wire nuts came in they have a chart on the side. I have never seen on any of those charts show you can put more than 5 wires under a single connector. I believe method of shoving all these wires under one wire nut is poor. This must be a heck of a big juction box.
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Grey wire nuts - 02/10/05 04:04 AM
I would use a Wago for this, definately not a split bolt.
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Grey wire nuts - 02/10/05 04:24 AM
If you go with the split-bolt you run the risk of a red tag. Split bolts are listed for 2 conductors only.

Ilsco makes a listed 3 conductor split bolt. The listing limitation of 2 wires is 2 wires of the max size for the bolt- for instance a #2 split bolt has a listed max for 2 #2 conductors. When used with smaller conductors such as #12 the amount allowed is raised.
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Grey wire nuts - 02/10/05 12:23 PM
When used with smaller conductors such as #12 the amount allowed is raised.
No. You can only install the listed wire combinations in any splicing device.
Don
Posted By: iwire Re: Grey wire nuts - 02/10/05 01:09 PM
I have never seen on any of those charts show you can put more than 5 wires under a single connector. I believe method of shoving all these wires under one wire nut is poor.

Ideal #30-454

3 to 6 12 AWG

5 or 6 14 AWG

If you make the splice as Hal (hbiss) described it will be a fine splice.

This thread is a good illustration of how we each have are own methods of working and each way is 'right' for us. [Linked Image]

For myself

The 'bridge' method described by macmikeman would be a last resort for me.

I would need a gun to my head to use a Wago as described by Electric Eagle.

A split bolt for 6 or 8 conductors, not a chance.

To each their own as long as it meets code. [Linked Image]

Bob
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Grey wire nuts - 02/10/05 02:30 PM
I believe method of shoving all these wires under one wire nut is poor
The trick is not to shove the wires under the wire nut. If you can make a good splice it does not matter if you have five or six wires as long as the wirenut is rated for it.

[This message has been edited by Electricmanscott (edited 02-10-2005).]
Posted By: BillK Re: Grey wire nuts - 02/10/05 05:33 PM
Try the Ideal In-sure connectors. I picked some up at Depot. Work for 2 to 8 wires I think. Here is a link.
They also have a test port.
http://www.idealindustries.com/IDEAL-EZ/products.nsf/ItemMasterLookup/p30-688?OpenDocument
Posted By: iwire Re: Grey wire nuts - 02/10/05 06:00 PM
Bill those are another kind of 'Wagos'

[Linked Image from idealindustries.com]

There are UL listed and could be used for the splice the opening post asked about.

I will not use them.

Back stab receptacles where / are UL listed also and their history of failure is high enough in my mind not to use them either.

I have a hard time believing that the small piece of spring steel that makes contact with the wire makes a connection as reliable as a properly installed wire-nut.

That is just my opinion and how I choose to work, as I said earlier to each their own. [Linked Image]

Bob
Posted By: BillK Re: Grey wire nuts - 02/10/05 06:49 PM
Yep

Sorry my first response was inteded for the opening question.
Posted By: iwire Re: Grey wire nuts - 02/10/05 07:01 PM
Bill no reason to be sorry and welcome to ECN. [Linked Image]

Don't let my personal opinion(s) keep you from expressing yours.

We all have an equal say here, it is an open forum.

I may have 'Moderator' under my name but that does not mean my opinion is anymore valid then a new member.

Keep on posting. [Linked Image]

Bob
Posted By: tkb Re: Grey wire nuts - 02/10/05 07:34 PM
The only place I would use the Wago type connectors is in a fixture for a ballast change. Most of the sockets are push in and so are some of the ballasts. The fixture manufactures also use them to extend the wires for an 8' fixture.
Posted By: iwire Re: Grey wire nuts - 02/10/05 07:46 PM
Welcome TKB. [Linked Image]

Yes in low current applications like you described I will use them too.

Bob
© ECN Electrical Forums