ECN Forum
Posted By: ToHo bathroom heater - 01/20/05 07:57 PM
A customer had asked if I knew of a heater unit that could be placed in a shower area. This is a custom home with a rather large stall shower area. It would have to be ceiling mounted. Does anyone know of such a unit that is designed for this type of application.I am not sure if a heater is permitted in this type of location. Thanks ..ToHo
Posted By: Megawatt Re: bathroom heater - 01/20/05 10:20 PM
I have just finished the rough on a large remodel, that used Tile Warmers, in the Master Bathroom. But they have to be installed well in advance of the finish work.
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: bathroom heater - 01/20/05 11:32 PM
Nutone makes heater/ fan/ light combos.

Would that work?
Posted By: Dave55 Re: bathroom heater - 01/20/05 11:54 PM
How about a steam shower unit, I think they can be installed as add-ons.

Dave
Posted By: HLCbuild Re: bathroom heater - 01/21/05 01:10 AM
ToHo,

I also had this same request a year ago. The only thing I could find was a radiant heat waterproof panel that would mount on the ceiling and drop down about an inch and it was UGLY. It required a seperate remote t-stat and gfi protection. I don't remember the company that made them, but i found it doing a search for bathroom heaters.
Posted By: kinetic Re: bathroom heater - 01/21/05 06:07 AM
Is it in the shower on the dryoff area?
Posted By: ToHo Re: bathroom heater - 01/21/05 02:30 PM
The location of the heater would be in the shower area(wet location).
Posted By: Bert66 Re: bathroom heater - 01/21/05 03:15 PM
ToHo, I don't know where your customer is from. But in my shower, if I put the water on while I'm getting undressed. The water is hot enough to warm me. Maybe you should get the plumber to lable the HOT & COLD knobs.

I hope you can enjoy the humor.

But, sorry I personnaly have not been asked of such a heater. The only heaters I've ever installed aside from the central unit was your basic H/V/L types in bathroms. But I'm sure there are tons of different units that I have not seen yet.
Good luck in your search!!!
Posted By: ToHo Re: bathroom heater - 01/21/05 04:19 PM
The problem that the customer explained to me was that when they are not directly under the water in the shower ..they feel cold.The shower enclosure is bigger than a standard shower stall.I can definitly appreciate the humor. You never know what someone is going to ask you to install!!!
Posted By: Dave55 Re: bathroom heater - 01/22/05 12:22 AM
I have a 50 gallon water heater which I have set RATHER HIGH. When I take a shower I have to be careful I don't burn myself, but I don't "feel cold".

Dave

BTW This is best done in a small bathroom with the exhaust fan off so the whole room gets warm .

[This message has been edited by Dave55 (edited 01-22-2005).]
Posted By: Speedy Petey Re: bathroom heater - 01/22/05 05:55 AM
I know the cold feeling they speak of. When you step out of the water stream the air is moving quite fast with the very hot air raising out fast. Cooler air from outside the stall makes up for it.

OK, that said, why are the out of the water stream? I can only think of one reason, someone else is in it. [Linked Image]
In my not so humble opinion, if you have company in the shower that should remove most of the cold you are feeling while out of the water stream.

Rich folks and their requests can be a PIA sometimes. Sometimes.

Like has been said, a typical H/L/F unit over the shower with GFI protection.

[This message has been edited by Speedy Petey (edited 01-22-2005).]
Posted By: caselec Re: bathroom heater - 01/22/05 06:13 AM
The standard Nutone, Broan, Panasonic, etc. heaters are not listed for use over tub or shower enclosures even with GFCI protection.

Curt
Posted By: HLCbuild Re: bathroom heater - 01/22/05 04:03 PM
ToHo,
You might look into GMark Products. It is a little hard to find once you get there, but they make a stainless steel, silicone sealed radiant panel that can be used over the shower. A couple of years ago I spoke with their technical dept. about the same issue. I built a 5x5 shower on an exterior wall in a house without fan forced heat and it was cold. A word of warning: it was about $400. for the panel and t-stat. Good luck.

HLCbuild
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: bathroom heater - 01/23/05 12:22 AM
For dwelling units, I cannot see heat being added to the shower area [Linked Image]. If necessary, tell them about supplemental heat for the room in the form of a ceiling heat fan that can be located fairly close to the shower area, or a wall unit with a fan that blows in the direction of the shower.

Pierre
© ECN Electrical Forums