ECN Forum
Posted By: frankft 200 Amp Service Upgrade - 12/24/04 02:07 PM
A friend of mine and myself were kicking a idea around and I wanted some more input.

A multi family house I looked at has a 100 amp panel but it has reached its load ampacity and needs to be upsized. The existing work looks fine. There is plenty of room to put a 200 amp panel on the wall also. My question is after I mount the 200 amp panel, which is the better path to go.

1. Install a 100 amp breaker in the 200 amp panel and just refeed the old panlel.
or
2. Remove the old panel, install multipule J-Boxes and reinstall all the branch circits back into the new panel.

Just looking for ideas.
TY
Posted By: iwire Re: 200 Amp Service Upgrade - 12/24/04 02:35 PM
If the existing work looks good and I could easily isolate the grounded conductors from the grounding conductors I would simply leave it in place and feed it with a 100 amp breaker.

You did say

a 100 amp panel but it has reached its load ampacity

Does this mean it has tripped the main?

If yes I would still leave it in place but move one or two of the largest circuits over to the new panel. A range, dryer, AC unit, etc.

Hard to really say what I would do without having seen everything. [Linked Image]
Bob
Posted By: frankft Re: 200 Amp Service Upgrade - 12/24/04 02:43 PM
Thanks IWIRE

The main has not triped, but the owner wants to add another electric range which would make 3 in all. It needs to be upsized! lol It seems like I should be able to isolate the grounding and the grounded wires easier than moving all of the circuits.

Thanks again.
Posted By: SJT Re: 200 Amp Service Upgrade - 12/28/04 08:08 PM
It sounds like a typical service upgrade, where the existing panel would be removed and a new 200 amp 42 ckt. panel would take its place. When the job is done, you have 1 panel there and everything is made neat. Happy New Year
Posted By: Wirenuttt Re: 200 Amp Service Upgrade - 12/29/04 01:45 AM
I agree, I would make it all into one panel. It's cleaner looking and less possible future problems to deal with.
Posted By: CharlieE Re: 200 Amp Service Upgrade - 12/29/04 03:14 AM
Frankft, what does TY stand for? Perhaps Todd?

By the way, welcome to the forum. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: 200 Amp Service Upgrade - 12/29/04 03:27 AM
what does TY stand for?
I'm betting on 'Thank You'

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: SJT Re: 200 Amp Service Upgrade - 12/29/04 02:57 PM
If TY is thank you, then YW.
Posted By: frankft Re: 200 Amp Service Upgrade - 12/29/04 08:43 PM
The existing 100 amp panel I'd say was installed in the 1980's. Its is full now and with the new circuits I will be adding, the new 200 amp panel will be close to capacity and then soon there will end up being a sub panel added anyways. I can change out the panel, but with the circuits being extended, I'm not sure that would give the customer the best job when I'm done.
Posted By: Wirenuttt Re: 200 Amp Service Upgrade - 12/31/04 02:54 AM
Sounds like you may want to do a load demand calculaion on this home. With that many circuits you may want to consider a 400 amp service with two 200 amp panels. There are also 400 amp double main breaker panels so you can add a second 200 amp MLO right next to it or anywhere it needs to be. This panel also is listed for a second sub feed which allows up to 125 amps.

[This message has been edited by Wirenuttt (edited 12-30-2004).]
© ECN Electrical Forums