ECN Forum
Posted By: Electric Eagle Electric Generators - 12/10/04 03:42 AM
Does anybody have a really good (cheap) source for permanently installed generators for homes?
What brand do you guys use?
Realistically what size is large enough to serve a house if they want to use A/C? I think a 15KV unit would be OK if they manage their power usage.
What happens if they try to draw more than the unit can produce? Brown out? Something trip?
Posted By: slumlordworker Re: Electric Generators - 12/10/04 03:46 AM
guardian for residental is fairly low priced and not bad quality. being able to us ac will depend on what else is on the generatpr panel and is being used at the same time the ac is.
Posted By: NJ Wireman Re: Electric Generators - 12/10/04 03:55 AM
Might want to stick to a feew fans around the house rather then the ac!!!!!
Posted By: OreElect Re: Electric Generators - 12/10/04 04:25 AM
http://www.gen-tran.com/
Posted By: u2slow Re: Electric Generators - 12/10/04 04:30 AM
Generac & Caterpillar supplied generators for the last two highrise projects I was on [Linked Image]

Onan runs ads for generators in the "Cottage" magazine I get.
Posted By: mhulbert Re: Electric Generators - 12/10/04 05:00 AM
I'm trying to figure out the generator thing too, have a customer asking about one.

Ran across a cut sheet from Kohler, says it can start and run a 4 Ton A/C. I wonder if you could put a soft start on an AC condensor?..... http://www.kohlerpowersystems.com/pdf/G4097.PDF

Does anybody know what brands are the most reliable? Who do you order these from? I doubt my supply houses have accounts with these companies
Mike
Posted By: slumlordworker Re: Electric Generators - 12/10/04 05:11 AM
we are lucky that we order ours direct from generac and onan they have factory reps in our state.

check their web site for a factory rep near you
Posted By: KBSHORTS Re: Electric Generators - 12/10/04 11:36 AM
We install a lot of gen-sets but most are in larger commercial applications. I have become a big fan of Caterpiller, excellent equipment, support from our local dealer. Just completed start up on a small, 30KW, Caterpiller last week. It was a sweet little unit and be great on a larger residence.
KB
Posted By: trekkie76 Re: Electric Generators - 12/11/04 12:08 AM
The units have overcurrent protection on them. a 15KW has a 70 Amp breaker on it. The Guardian brand can have a 12 circuit pre packaged transfer switch with it, or you can get a whole panel transfer, in 100 or 200 amp configurations. They have started making them with main breakers in them, and are service rated. So, it depends on connected load, what the customer wants to run with the generator, and what kind they want(Brand, liquid or air cooled). Big price difference between the to, also the 15KW turns at 1800 istead of 3600, so noise can be a factor to the customer. the guardian line is very user friendly, but have had so cold starting issues. Onan is also a good quality brand, but very pricey.
Posted By: golf junkie Re: Electric Generators - 12/11/04 03:46 AM
"Just completed start up on a small, 30KW, Caterpiller last week."

We have a bid due next Tuesday that includes a 350kw Cummins. If we get the job that will be the biggest unit I've installed.
Posted By: sjtek Re: Electric Generators - 12/13/04 09:14 PM
Kohler had a great product a few years ago when I was still a biomed tech- I'm sure still does.

I ran a 55KW 3 ph Kohler w/ 4 cyl turbocharged John Deere diesel with auto transfer switch that was online in ~5 seconds after power failure. Sat on its own day tank mount which held ~150 gallons of diesel (no road tax for generator fuel- we should have run it more often than the weekly warm-up) Of course it was expected to be that fast since it was backup for a hemodialysis clinic.
© ECN Electrical Forums