ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy Test before Livening? - 12/02/04 10:53 AM
Now I could be wrong here,
But from what I can gather, testing of Electrical Installations isn't high on the list of priorities, before a given job is livened, in the US.
Sure you might say, an out of town guy having a dig at you fella's.
I would also like to say that, because of where I work (the local PoCo), I'm required to hand in Certificates of Compliance for all of the work that I connect to a supply, every week.
How many of you guys actually get the Megger out or do a Continuity test or even a test on the wire that leads to the Ground Rod?.
Have you ever seen a house or other installation hooked up with the wrong polarity, because someone couldn't be bothered to test the wiring?.
Another question, how many of you guys have a Megger and use it for things other than Fault-finding?.
Over here, I'll sign a Certificate of Compliance only after I see the Electrician perform the tests and write the results on the CoC, I'm not an Inspector, but I have to have a certain paper-trail as well in case there is something that does go wrong.
This is bound to cause some discussion, but please, only useful comments. [Linked Image]
Posted By: shortcircuit Re: Test before Livening? - 12/02/04 12:24 PM
Installations in my area are inspected by the local AHJ before power is hooked up...then we test with the power applied.The POCO tests the SE conductors for polarity before connecting.I don't test with a megger at all on new installations.I'll do a continuity test if I suspect damage by nails or screws to a wire.

Last time I used my megga was for testing the leads going to electric driveway heating mats to make sure they weren't damaged during shiping and to see if they were damaged during installation before power was applied to the mats.

shortcircuit
Posted By: Bert66 Re: Test before Livening? - 12/02/04 01:36 PM
well I'm sure this is not the perfered choice by a long shot, but we run from our temp. service to the primary side of the main breaker. Then test all 120v circuits (lights, recpt., etc.). The only things we don't check this was are the 220v items.
Posted By: Steve Miller Re: Test before Livening? - 12/02/04 01:43 PM
Are you sure "livening" is a real word? (just returning the dig). We don't meg the installations but we do the "high tech" test. My Grandfather showed me this back before time began. Ohm out the svc to be sure it's ok. Then put a light bulb in series with the phase right at the breaker. (on the old Edison base fuse panels we'd screw the bulb into the fuse shell) If nothing is hooked to the circuit and the bulb comes on we have a prob. Like I said .. we're not high tech.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Test before Livening? - 12/02/04 02:06 PM
Steve,
Are you sure "livening" is a real word? (just returning the dig).
It is in the NZ Dicshonary!. [Linked Image]
I like your style and I must say that we still use the Series test method here, I have a panel made for it in my workshop and I agree, the brighter the bulb the lower the resistance.
Although under current H&S legislation here, the Series test system is banned.
OK then, I'll call it "Prior to Final Connection".
Posted By: pauluk Re: Test before Livening? - 12/02/04 09:14 PM
I like your style and I must say that we still use the Series test method here,
Series bulbs are useful not just for AC mains tests. I've also used a similar arrangement on high-power transmitter HT supplies, and for TV sweep circuits.

Many years ago I also constructed electronic model train speed controls using a pair of 12V headlights bulbs in series with the feed. They served a dual-purpose of protecting the output transistors in the event of a derailment and short, and acting as an overload indicator.

Sorry, that's drifting off topic a little.... [Linked Image]
Posted By: richard Re: Test before Livening? - 12/02/04 10:41 PM
I have always wondered of a a method a former boss used to troubleshoot dead shorts. He would put a temp socket with a 100 watt a lamp, and connect to a breaker and the circuit with the short. When the bulb went out the short was cleared and he was that much closer to the source of the problem. But is that safe?
Posted By: Electric Ian Re: Test before Livening? - 12/03/04 12:02 AM
quote:
---------------------------------------------
It is in the NZ Dicshonary!.
---------------------------------------------

Now come on, Dicshonary is not a word
© ECN Electrical Forums