ECN Forum
Posted By: hypress GFCI Trivia - 11/25/04 05:01 AM
Today we were checking out some wiring .We carry 800MHZ trunked radios I have no idea what the output of the radios is .But we were checking 2 GFCI's in a weatherproof box.One of the GFCI was powered the other was not.When I would talk on the raido the powered GFCI would try to trip you could hear the relay in the GFCI chatter.When I put the weatherproof cover back on the box and keyed the raido the relay would not chatter. I just thought you might light to know. HYPRSSS
Posted By: NJ Wireman Re: GFCI Trivia - 11/25/04 05:37 AM
THese radios are very powerful, I have a great bit of exp. with them as being a firefighter of many years. They have been known to set of car alarms, phone pagers, our fire pagers make our cell phone drop a call. and much much more.
Posted By: twh Re: GFCI Trivia - 11/26/04 12:12 AM
...and damage DC drives and even start a PLC controlled motor.
Posted By: JCooper Re: GFCI Trivia - 11/26/04 10:48 PM
We had a problem with out VHF radios would actually smoke a GFCI when keyed up within about 10'. They were doing a drill in some new construction when somebody keyed up the radio and smoke came out of the GFCI, it was only on one frequency with one brand of GFCI, which have all been replaced.
Posted By: Big Jim Re: GFCI Trivia - 12/01/04 06:47 AM
RFI from walky-talkies can raise cain with all kinds of devices that have embedded microprocessors. Before we upgraded computers, we needed a sign outside the computer room telling people not to use their radios within 20 feet. My favorite, though, was a certain vending machine that would dispense something if you happened to "need" to talk on your radio in front of it.
© ECN Electrical Forums