ECN Forum
Posted By: slumlordworker whia vs klein - 11/19/04 03:09 PM
which screwdriver do you perfer whia or klein
Posted By: NJ Wireman Re: whia vs klein - 11/19/04 04:18 PM
Well up to today i had never heard of wiha but i just checked out their web page and i must say there stuff looks kinda lower end? I am going to have to say i guess i would stick with my Kleins. I would rather pay the bigger bucks and have it last.

Kenny
Posted By: goodwill Re: whia vs klein - 11/19/04 04:33 PM
Klein also has that great return policy. I've already turned in a 5 year old offset screwdriver no problem(i think it even had rust on it)...for a new one off the shelf.
Posted By: goodwill Re: whia vs klein - 11/19/04 04:37 PM
"SLW", did you mean "Wiha" tools? I found Wiha tool site, but all I found for Whia was some precision automotive tools.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: whia vs klein - 11/19/04 04:47 PM
Klein #1 and larger.
Would not be with out my Wiha precision set however.
Posted By: velect Re: whia vs klein - 11/19/04 05:06 PM
All Wiha tools are top notch
Posted By: John Steinke Re: whia vs klein - 11/20/04 01:47 AM
Whoever claims that Klein makes absolutely the best screwdrivers is showing their lack of exposure.
Don't get me wrong; Klein makes excelent screwdrivers, and many of them fit electrical screws better than more general types.

That said, AT&G drivers positively jump into your hand and beg to be used. Bahco drivers look simple, but also fit the hand well, and their two-handed big one is great. As for Wiha, I have their set with the shafts that go all the way through the handle- no fear of hitting these with a hammer!

My only problem with Klein drivers came when I worked around machine shops some; the 'cushion grip' caught metal shavings- which then cut me.

For most electrical work, I'll stick with Klein for most of my needs.

Oh- the worst screwdriver? Probably Channellock brand. Harbor Freight has them beat by miles!!!
Posted By: bp-redbear Re: whia vs klein - 11/20/04 03:02 AM
Go to www.wihatools.com.

WIHA tools are THE best tools I have ever seen and used. Absolutely no doubt.
Their line of insulated (1000V) screwdrivers, nutdrivers, strippers, pliers are so well made and ergonomic that there is no comparrison IMHO.

Their expert selection of steel and superior heat treating processes make their tools last longer than others.

I have yet to see a Wiha screwdriver with a worn out tip, but most Klein's that I have seen become rounded. (I personally own only 1 Klein, but a co-worker has almost exclusively Klein, and they all look worn out to me, and he hasn't been in the biz very long, he does not abuse his tools either.)

I do use my Klein 10-in-1 on a daily basis, though, and am very pleased with it.

Wiha has a line of heavy-duty and extra-heavy-duty screwdrivers, the latter having the shaft run solid all the way through the handle, having a solid steel striking cap. (As an industrial mechanic, these are awesome to use, though I only use the cap to strike with, not wanting to strike my screwdriver with a hammer, but, you could, with I am sure no damage to the tip whatsoever.)

(Use the insulated ones for electrical work, though. [Linked Image] )

Wiha tools are guarranteed, too. Nothing against Klein, I love my Wiha.
Posted By: Sandro Re: whia vs klein - 11/20/04 12:55 PM
the website a few posts ago has a typo...try this www.wihatools.com
Posted By: e57 Re: whia vs klein - 11/20/04 05:45 PM
Wiha, and several other companies, like http://www.knipex.com make tools that Klien fail to compare to. The notion that Klien is the top end is a farse. Don't get me wrong they make other things outside of pliers and screwdrivers that other companies can not hold a candle to either. But as far as hand tools go, they really haven't kept up with technology for making lighter, stronger more ergonomic tools.
Posted By: CRM Re: whia vs klein - 11/20/04 06:21 PM
In my opinion nothing beats Klein tools, especially the cushion grip screwdrivers, and their D-2000 series lineman pliers, by the way what are (ergonomic tools.)
Posted By: slumlordworker Re: whia vs klein - 11/20/04 06:21 PM
e57 like what klein tools are you talking about. i for one don't care for their hacksaws or adjustable wrenches,pilers.
Posted By: bp-redbear Re: whia vs klein - 11/20/04 08:36 PM
CRM

"Ergonomic tools" means that they fit the hand superbly, allowing the user to deliver the most torque to the fastener with less fatigue and discomfort (like blisters) to the hand.

That's what I mean by ergonomic.
Posted By: e57 Re: whia vs klein - 11/20/04 11:21 PM
I too don't like thier hack saws, but the Klien "golden tri-cut" blade is the only one I'll use. But klien does make excelent line grips, fall protection, and other items that are supurb. Was not my intent to bag on Klien for those items, but the basic hand tools like pliers and screwdrivers have not changed with the times. For instance, I now consider Klien Phillips, and flat head screwdrivers disposable, as they will last only 1/4 of the life of a Knipex/Witte, or Wiha, before they start to cam out, or dull. And it would be a simple fix for them to change the alloy used. And klien linemans wiegh enough to be used as a hammer, Knipex pliers weigh half as much, and stay sharper longer.
© ECN Electrical Forums