ECN Forum
Posted By: DougW Happy Veteran's Day! - 11/11/04 02:18 PM
Or "Armistice Day" if you're old enough!

Thanks to all the men (and women) who've served our countries with distinction (Noting the international flavor of ECN), and thoughts and prayers for those currently serving, especially in "hot spots".
Posted By: Bert66 Re: Happy Veteran's Day! - 11/11/04 03:11 PM
Doug I couldn't have put it out there any better. I would like to ride on your shirt tail here and would proudly support the folks for the service. CONGRATULATIONS
Posted By: Admin Re: Happy Veteran's Day! - 11/11/04 03:15 PM
Amen,

Please keep comments here simple and respectful folks.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Happy Veteran's Day! - 11/11/04 03:17 PM
Do the British also observe some kind of Veterans day? I heard something on the BBC radio news last night, but wasn't paying close attention.
Posted By: mamills Re: Happy Veteran's Day! - 11/11/04 04:56 PM
My prayers and my profound gratitude to all servicemen and women...past, present, and future.

God bless them...

Mike (mamills)

[This message has been edited by mamills (edited 11-11-2004).]
Posted By: dougwells Re: Happy Veteran's Day! - 11/11/04 05:00 PM
This was shared with me on another forum, It does bring a tear to my eyes. Sorry it is a Canadian video Clip though. The winamp version video wouldnt open for me but the Quicktime player link work.

http://www.terry-kelly.com/pittance/pittance_en_video.htm
Posted By: CharlieE Re: Happy Veteran's Day! - 11/11/04 09:11 PM
Sorry it is a Canadian video Clip though.
Our brothers and sisters to the north all bleed the same. Even though we have philosophical differences, we came from the same place and fight together for the same freedoms.

Even though I "put in my time", I have the utmost respect for others who have given to the freedoms that we have. That includes all races and all countries that have supported us in our fight for freedom. It is too bad that freedom is not free but we appreciate it more because of the sacrifices of those that have gone before us and those that are fighting for us now. Thank you. [Linked Image]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy
Posted By: Roger Re: Happy Veteran's Day! - 11/11/04 09:49 PM
I was listening to a local disk jockey today who brought up a good point, not only do we owe thanks to the veterans themselves, but also to the families who have lost loved ones defending our freedoms.

Thanks to all!

Roger
Posted By: e57 Re: Happy Veteran's Day! - 11/12/04 05:13 AM
"For those who have served, the sound of Taps will ring for a very long time, and longer still these days.

Reguardless of politics, or for that matter even what side you're on. In the end, for the fallen to be counted, and measured against history and the fact that we have not learned from it."

-Anonomous Soldier WWII (Believed to be German)

That always stuck with me, and it is well know that during the Cival War that both sides would stop for the playing of it.
Posted By: Big Jim Re: Happy Veteran's Day! - 11/12/04 10:12 AM
A phrase that sticks in my mind is, "Freedom isn't free."
Hopefully, the holiday will sharpen out menories so we think about the costs and those who paid them more often.
Posted By: PAUL0510 Re: Happy Veteran's Day! - 11/12/04 10:34 PM
A simple thanks to all who serve,past present and future.

Paul
Posted By: pauluk Re: Happy Veteran's Day! - 11/13/04 05:24 PM
Do the British also observe some kind of Veterans day?

We do indeed, although it still goes by the name of Armistice Day, with Remembrance Sunday being the second Sunday in November, on which services are held.

Many offices and businesses observe a two-minute silence at 11 a.m. on Armistice Day as a mark of respect.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/remembrance/

Grateful thanks to all the men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice in their fight for freedom, for those who do so today, and for those who will continue to do so in the future.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 11-13-2004).]
Posted By: CharlieE Re: Happy Veteran's Day! - 11/13/04 06:41 PM
Thank you, I now understand the two minutes in the video. I do remember when we called it Armistice Day. [Linked Image]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy
Posted By: dougwells Re: Happy Veteran's Day! - 11/11/05 07:41 AM
I would like to bump this
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Happy Veteran's Day! - 11/11/05 09:49 AM
Lest we forget.

Alan
Posted By: KBSHORTS Re: Happy Veteran's Day! - 11/11/05 11:05 AM
Thank you all!
KB
Posted By: mxslick Re: Happy Veteran's Day! - 11/11/05 07:19 PM
As a veteran myself, I want to thank all those who keep us in their thoughts and prayers, and even support us when the situation is not popular or clearly defined.

And to those still serving all over the world, (and thier families) my thoughts are with you all and come home safe!

Tony (USAF, USANG)
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Happy Veteran's Day! - 11/12/05 12:16 AM
I forget the source, and my memory may not be perfect...but an appropriate quote for today is:

"Gentle folk sleep in peace because rough men stand ready to protect them."

Remember these words some $#@@$ complains about war being 'too messy.'
Posted By: skingusmc Re: Happy Veteran's Day! - 11/12/05 01:47 AM
Reno -

I believe you are referring to George Orwell:

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. - George Orwell"
-----
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -GEORGE ORWELL

God Bless all our Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marine. And not to forget the Coast Guard.

Steve
Posted By: dougwells Re: Happy Veteran's Day! - 11/11/06 04:41 AM
Bump
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Happy Veteran's Day! - 11/11/06 04:58 AM
No Marines? Today (Nov 10) is Marine Corps birthday OooRah!

I guess they are all out tossing back a cold one.

Not a Marine myself but I lived with them a few times.
Posted By: mxslick Re: Happy Veteran's Day! - 11/11/06 05:09 AM
As former Air Force, I say thanks to all for thinking of everyone who has served, and keeping our current servicemen, wherever they are, in your thoughts and prayers!

Cheers!!
Posted By: LoneGunman Re: Happy Veteran's Day! - 11/11/06 02:41 PM
Happy birthday Devil Dogs
Posted By: e57 Re: Happy Veteran's Day! - 11/11/06 04:33 PM
We went through some of the traditional toasts of the Marine Corps last night in the chat room.

The Oldest, the Yongest, and the Fallen.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Happy Veteran's Day! - 11/14/06 02:06 PM
Good on ya Mark and the rest of you's.
Soldiers (regardless of politics) have to be remembered.
Cheers guys. [Linked Image]
Posted By: dougwells Re: Happy Veteran's Day! - 11/10/10 01:52 AM
bump

Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Happy Veteran's Day! - 11/10/10 03:02 AM
Marine Corps birthday 11/10 (Wed), so Happy OooRah!

Remember those that served, past & present, those who are not with us, and those that are doing what they have to. God Bless, and stay safe to those in harms way.

And another big thank you to Doug!!!
Posted By: ghost307 Re: Happy Veteran's Day! - 11/10/10 08:27 PM
Semper Fi.

I was going to make my post longer...but that says it all.

Thanks to everyone who serves and served.
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Happy Veteran's Day! - 11/11/10 04:25 AM
From one vet to all Vets, Thanx!

US Regular Army 88-91
US Army Reserves 92
Michigan National Guards 92-95

King of Battle
Field Artillery
OOOSHAAA!!!
Posted By: wire_twister Re: Happy Veteran's Day! - 11/11/10 02:07 PM
To all our vets,

Thanks for your service, and sacrifice, we would not be here without you. I could not serve myself( bad back), but I come fron a strong millitary family and I know of the sacrifice you all had to make. Dont ever let anyone tell you what you did was not a great thing, or any of the other liberal, verbal vomit they come up with. You guys are all heroes in my book. Happy Veterans Day!
Posted By: harold endean Re: Happy Veteran's Day! - 11/15/10 02:02 PM
My dad was a vet, I almost got drafted but the war was canceled at the last minute. My thanks to all of the vets though! Bless them all!
© ECN Electrical Forums