ECN Forum
Posted By: Steve McKinney Seperate "Business" Forum? - 11/10/04 09:06 PM
e57 had a good idea about seperate forums. I was wondering if there is enough interest on the "Business" side of business. Seems there are several threads concerning this as we compare notes. I feel this is easily my "weakest link".
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Seperate "Business" Forum? - 11/10/04 09:19 PM
I'll give you a vote. (But it's really up to Bill.)
Also a few years ago I drafted a letter by hand for my secretary to type up. She came back to my office with the typed letter and said "Kent, don't forget that there is a rat in separate." Ha! I have not forgotten.
Posted By: Steve McKinney Re: Seperate "Business" Forum? - 11/10/04 09:38 PM
Thanks Kent, I'll remember that!
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Seperate "Business" Forum? - 11/10/04 09:59 PM
I'll go along with that one if Bill is willing. An area with discussion on estimating, dealing with customers, generals, inspectors, and employees would be very helpful, as well as tips to make the work easier. The business chat room is good, but fewer can participate in a chat.

Dave
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Seperate "Business" Forum? - 11/10/04 10:27 PM
Steve,

Making new areas is not a problem, but I think having too many gets annoying to a lot of people. Too many to jump in and out of and more get hidden down the bottom if you don't scroll.

How many is too many??
What do you all think?

Bill
Posted By: Active 1 Re: Seperate "Business" Forum? - 11/10/04 11:25 PM
A business forum would be of intrest to me. How about a "not strangeling you customer" forum or "getting paid". They could also work in a Business forum.

Tom
Posted By: kinetic Re: Seperate "Business" Forum? - 11/11/04 01:32 AM
I think a business only forum would be good. I have a hard time making it to the chats. I have alot of questions to ask and I am sure alot more information could be openly shared with a dedicated forum.
Posted By: e57 Re: Seperate "Business" Forum? - 11/11/04 02:17 AM
Bill I disagree, Many things end up in the general area that are lets say out of context of say A Tel/Data, or bussiness forum, and often get lost there in the general forum. Not that I'm one to go around dictating etc. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Jps1006 Re: Seperate "Business" Forum? - 11/11/04 02:54 AM
Bill, I agree. Too many could get annoying. This is the only BB I go to because it is simple.

But then you ask a good question:
How many is too many?

I don't think you are close to too many yet. I personally couldn't put a number on it, but I'd know it when I saw it.

If a "business" forum were to appear I know I'd use it.

I don't know if internet speed makes a difference (because I'm cable modem) with the jumping in and out of forums.

One last thing about too many forums. It might make more of a difference to a new comer getting confused as to where to go. I browse here enough I won't get lost.
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Seperate "Business" Forum? - 11/11/04 03:08 AM
I like it just the way it is. I rarely look at the other sections and might miss something interesting if it were a seperate forum. Business topics will get more replies here than in another section.
Posted By: DougW Re: Seperate "Business" Forum? - 11/11/04 02:15 PM
I like the current format, but if there's a lot of support for a separate "business" forum, I wouldn't mind too much.
Posted By: Bert66 Re: Seperate "Business" Forum? - 11/11/04 02:59 PM
I try to visit the fourm at least once a day, I find the info very helpful. I've been in the electrical trade for over 16 yrs. and recently started my own electrical business. So with that in mind, I too would support a business fourm. All new comers in the business could use some advise from the more sucessful and more business savy guy's out there that are willing to help the younger generation.

I feel that it would not be hard to keep up with or be confusing as the light bulb on the side will alert you to any new postings since your last visit. At a glance you will know if there was anything new that you may have missed. Then simply check in for a moment to see if it would be of any interest to you.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Seperate "Business" Forum? - 11/11/04 05:29 PM
HHmmm,
I will post on this again.
I have been on both sides of the fence.
Worked in the field for 19 years or so, Was in a partnership with the senior partner who was a "business" person and not an electrician. Sold my shares and now have my own business.

The difference between working in the field and running a business IMO are night and day. I learned much about the business end of things during the seven years I spent in the partnership as well as a few college courses I took on construction/electrical construction management

The knowledge base on this forum with regard to electrical work is incredible to say the least. I have not found anything on the net that can touch this site and my hat goes off to Bill for creating it.

It is not possible for me to make it to the Wed business chat because of a promise I made to my wife and family on how my evenings are spent. (Although many of my days start in the office at 3AM.)

Running a one man company has been interesting to say the least. My days are split between business paperwork, bidding projects, sales calls both phone and in person and purchasing for/ managing projects.

I must say that I miss the busy office environment and being able to bounce ideas and suggestions with others. In fact I do my bidding with a lap top and take every opportunity to spend time in electrical contractors offices to do my take offs and bids in their offices, off of their paper plans, rather than have them courier plans to my office. I do this more to be around people than for any other reason.

Oh, By the way I design and sell fire alarm systems these days with an occasional install on small projects.

With that said I would really like to see a business forum as well. I see that quite a few members who are running one man / small companies. I do not claim to be a business wiz but I would be more than happy to share what I can as well as learn from the rest of the gang.
Posted By: dougwells Re: Seperate "Business" Forum? - 11/11/04 05:54 PM
I would really like to see a business forum created also. There has been many threads started on business in the last while that i have noticed in the general section. It would be very helpful just to be able to search business topics.
Posted By: Tom Re: Seperate "Business" Forum? - 11/11/04 09:44 PM
I'll also like the idea of a business forum.

Tom
Posted By: Steve McKinney Re: Seperate "Business" Forum? - 11/12/04 09:28 PM
Thanx 4 all your input fellas. This site by far is head and shoulders above any that I have "visited". I find myself checking it 4 or 5 times a day now. I'm hooked! There is such a vast pool of resources that you are willing to share, it really speaks volumes for the kind of tradesmen you/we are. I understand what you are saying about too many sites will dilute the input. That is probably true. But I would like to think I will have a couple of mouse clicks in me when I log in. As we bust our bottoms to make it in this business, a fresh new insight on how to run it would be most welcome. As I tell my guys, "None of us is as smart as all of us". I despise losing money on a job, and I have done my share. But if I can help someone else from making the same mistake, it seems to take some of the sting out of it. Bill, you have created a wonderful site here, and I really appreciate it. Whatever is decided will be fine with me. I try to make Wednesday night chat, but often times I can't. Posting is perfect and I find myself looking forward to checking for responses. As we raise the level of compentency and image of our trade, which we must love, I just want to make sure we all get paid for it!
© ECN Electrical Forums