ECN Forum
Posted By: stmarys Are these still available? - 10/20/04 08:35 PM
Hi All! New member here.

I work maintenance for a large church built in 1850. A lot of things we have around here have been here a long time, including these:

[Linked Image from stmarysoswego.org]

They are used to stop people from switching off breakers that shouldn't be touched (ie. refrigerators, water heaters, etc.). Anyone know if and where these are still available?

Thanks,
Joe
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Are these still available? - 10/20/04 08:43 PM
I don't know about those items, stmarys, but you can get LOTOs that will keep people from turning off the switches.

Dave
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Are these still available? - 10/20/04 08:45 PM
Hi there Joe.
Welcome to ECN!. [Linked Image]
I don't personally like the idea of fitting a device to a circuit breaker that prevents it from tripping, it sort of negates having the breaker in the first place. [Linked Image]

Mike :]
Posted By: CharlieE Re: Are these still available? - 10/20/04 09:15 PM
Mike, circuit breakers are required to be trip free. That means that even if the handle were locked, the internal mechanism would still operate. What it will do is prevent you from resetting the circuit breaker after it trips. [Linked Image]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy
Posted By: iwire Re: Are these still available? - 10/20/04 09:15 PM
Mike not to worry our breakers will trip even if you glue the handle.

All these do is keep people from turning off breakers that must stay on.

The one in the picture fits Square D breakers and is still available
Posted By: ComputerWizKid Re: Are these still available? - 10/20/04 09:16 PM
How does one go about putting that on? and trumppy when a breaker trips it will trip even if the handle is held in place (I think) thants why you have to reingage the handle after it trips by pushing all the off and back on
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: Are these still available? - 10/20/04 09:52 PM
Click here --> Square D handle lock QO1LO
[Linked Image from ecatalog.squared.com]
Posted By: stmarys Re: Are these still available? - 10/20/04 11:28 PM
Thanks a lot everyone! To address the question of whether the breakers will still trip with this clamp in place, yes. We've had them trip before. A special thanks to ElectricAL! I'm going to order a bunch tomorrow.
Posted By: golf junkie Re: Are these still available? - 10/20/04 11:42 PM
They are commonly found on Fire Alarm and similar loads in my area.
Posted By: e57 Re: Are these still available? - 10/21/04 02:25 AM
"question of whether the breakers will still trip with this clamp in place, yes. We've had them trip before."

Not that they will trip, but "trip free" (Very important!), not all breakers will trip free, meaning that the handle can be held closed and the breaker mechinism will still trip free of the handle. Not all breakers will.
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Are these still available? - 10/21/04 02:40 AM
We are required to use those or simlar devices as lock outs on appliances in some jurisdictions. The breaker will still function when install as locked on.
Posted By: Norstarr Re: Are these still available? - 10/21/04 03:51 AM
That device can not be used for lockout. It does not allow for a lock to be attached. Easily removed with a dime. SqD carries a different device for lockout. The QO1LO just prevents a breaker from accidently being turned off, or on for that matter in a non maintenance situation. Unfortunately, in order to install or remove one you have to turn the adjacent breaker off and if it is unmarked your subject to making someone mad when their computer dumps. Learned from experience.
Ron
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Are these still available? - 10/21/04 10:56 AM
D'oh!,
I never realised that the breakers had a trip free mechanism in them over there.
Sorry guys. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Are these still available? - 10/21/04 10:56 AM
Not that they will trip, but "trip free" (Very important!), not all breakers will trip free, meaning that the handle can be held closed and the breaker mechinism will still trip free of the handle. Not all breakers will.
If they aren't "trip free", they must be very old. The requirement has been in 240-80 since the '68 code or before. Maybe much before that. The oldest code I have is the '71 and there is no vertical change line next to that section in the 71 code.
Don

edited to correct spelling

[This message has been edited by resqcapt19 (edited 10-21-2004).]
© ECN Electrical Forums