ECN Forum
Posted By: BigB Old General Romex Wheel - 10/15/04 02:32 AM
I was at a salvage yard today when I spotted an old cast aluminum romex wheel sitting there for $15.00. It separates in two so you can load the romex or even MC. It bolts to a board for stability or can be hung on a rafter by it's handle. It has a steel spindle and a brass bushing. The people at the salvage yard had no clue what it was!
Anyway it works great, except the brake. There is a screw on the side which must have pushed on something when you tightened it which would in turn rub against the wheel. I can still see the mark where it rubbed. I rigged up a piece of rubber fuel line for now which actually works pretty good, but I'd like to have the original part if I can find it, or I can make one if I knew exactly what it was.
The casting is marked "General Machine Products Co ESO 623395"
A web search turned up nothing. Anyone familiar with this product? Anyone know when cast aluminum was first available?
Thanks, B
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Old General Romex Wheel - 10/15/04 02:39 AM
What....no pictures????
Posted By: BigB Re: Old General Romex Wheel - 10/15/04 02:45 AM
Dave I had some issues with my camera software and with posting photos. I haven't taken the time to reload the software and give it another shot but I guess this would be as good a time as any. I just hope I can figure put how to post them.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Old General Romex Wheel - 10/15/04 02:52 AM
Big B,
I can post them for you if you'd like.
Just send them on over. [Linked Image]
Posted By: BigB Re: Old General Romex Wheel - 10/15/04 03:37 AM
Trumpy, There in your email. The first one goofed up, they're all in the second one.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Old General Romex Wheel - 10/15/04 08:15 AM
Guys,
You can find the pictures here! . [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Old General Romex Wheel - 10/15/04 04:09 PM
Big B,
Sorry about the mix-up on my part!. [Linked Image]
The right sized and clearer pics can be found as linked in my last post.
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Old General Romex Wheel - 10/15/04 04:40 PM
Thanks for the pictures, BigB. That was a steal at $15. I like the hook option. I've been trying to come up with a compact spool dispenser for THHN wire for awhile now. I don't really like the typical racks and two-wheel trucks I see. I thimk I'll start a new thread about that.

Dave
Posted By: hbiss Re: Old General Romex Wheel - 10/15/04 04:49 PM
What makes you think it was designed for Romex or even electrical wire? GMP is a company that makes products for telephone and CATV line work. They still make that thing- http://www.gmptools.com/80470.html

Apparently they even make a replacement brake assembly...

-Hal

[This message has been edited by hbiss (edited 10-15-2004).]
Posted By: BigB Re: Old General Romex Wheel - 10/15/04 08:52 PM
Wow thanks Hal. I sure couldn't find them on a search but then I'm sort of a computer bozo. Well it sure works great for romex and MC. Although I didn't take it on a job yet I tested it out at home. From the looks of the screws holding the old rotted board to the bottom I am guessing mine is from the sixties. Thanks for the link now I can get a brake.
Posted By: BigB Re: Old General Romex Wheel - 10/15/04 09:03 PM
Just called Graybar the wire reel lists for $265.00.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Old General Romex Wheel - 10/16/04 12:21 AM
Graybar isn't the cheapest on stuff like this but you got a bargain for sure. You might try Anixter. Either should be able to order what you need. Might be a good idea to check directly with GMP before ordering to make sure it is in stock and whether it will work with your vintage reel. Contact information should be on their home page somewhere.

-Hal
© ECN Electrical Forums