ECN Forum
Posted By: BuggabooBren quick note/request - 10/07/04 01:51 AM
Hi all - - just a quick note to ask for your prayer support for our family & mostly for my 9-year old son, Cody. Cody was diagnosed with T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia on Saturday. We're already starting chemo after a whirlwind weekend.

Cody is my favorite boy on the entire planet (of course) and is one super-awesome-cool kid. We anticipate he'll do well since he's ready to "kick some white cell butt", and we believe he'll be healed, as well as begin a bald-hair fashion craze. Well, of course some guys already got the jump on Cody in that respect but now they'll definitely be on the inside track of the Cody-fashion craze.

We will gratefully accept all the prayer support available so please feel free to add Cody to your local prayer lists.

Thanks so much!
Bren
Posted By: Anonymous Re: quick note/request - 10/07/04 02:47 AM
May the Lord Keep You, and your family...
I and my family will pray for you and yours.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: quick note/request - 10/07/04 03:49 AM
Bren,

We're all in your corner.

Bill
Posted By: Edward Re: quick note/request - 10/07/04 04:45 AM
I am a 2 week old dad. I know what kind of a love a dad has for his family.

May lord hold you and your family in great hands.

I like your and your son's positive attitude, that is one of the greatest defense against any illnese.

Edward
Posted By: Roger Re: quick note/request - 10/07/04 05:46 AM
Bren, consider it done.
I know all will be fine.

Roger
Posted By: DougW Re: quick note/request - 10/07/04 06:22 AM
Thoughts and prayers your way...
Posted By: Trumpy Re: quick note/request - 10/07/04 07:23 AM
Bren,
Sorry to hear the bad news. [Linked Image]
My prayers and thoughts are with you and Cody.
Best wishes,
Mike Trump. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Gloria Re: quick note/request - 10/07/04 10:24 AM
I Ask you to take all, that life offers you, as it is, good or bad.
Please try to accept all that comes with an open, good heart and understanding.
It is hard, but keeps you stay strong whatever happens. And sometimes your help needen in the last minutes! If you are worried and tired of all you cannot help only if you remain the same they know, as happy and reliable.
God doesn't cause pain to anyone.
I wish you all the best, and I ask for some assistance of my God to your family! [Linked Image]
Posted By: KBSHORTS Re: quick note/request - 10/07/04 10:40 AM
Bren,
Sorry to here that but remember, most treatment is succesful! I was diagnosed with Hodgkins disease in 1989, surgery, radiation, chemo and bone marrow harvest just in case. Gotta love that chemo hair cut. It took a while but I returned to work pulling wire. I have a son too, I will remember yours in prayers.
KB
Posted By: tomselectrc Re: quick note/request - 10/07/04 12:28 PM
my familys prayers are with you
Posted By: circuit man Re: quick note/request - 10/07/04 09:10 PM
hi bren, hope all goes well with cody. i had a brother -n- law that had leukemia last year. this was his second time. my wife(his sister) donated bone marrow for him.now he's fine. been over a year.just rember with GOD all things are possible!tell him to kick them bad white cells butt!we'll be thinking about ya! ERWIN :-)
Posted By: aland Re: quick note/request - 10/07/04 09:42 PM
Bren, you and your family stay strong our thoughts and prayers are with you. God bless you all.
Alan
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: quick note/request - 10/07/04 11:20 PM
Bren: I am not religous so I don't pray, but I do wish you all the luck in the world. I hope that all goes well for you and the family.
Posted By: jayson Re: quick note/request - 10/08/04 12:44 AM
I pray for the good Lord be with your family
Posted By: Dave55 Re: quick note/request - 10/08/04 12:49 AM
God be with you through these difficult times, Bren. We wish you the best and will keep you in our prayers.

Dave
Posted By: BuggabooBren Re: quick note/request - 10/09/04 02:34 AM
To give an update, Cody is now on day 5 of his 108 week chemotherapy protocol. He was released from the Pediatric Oncology floor at the nearby (sorta - - 100 miles from home) University Hospital. We were a little surprised at how quickly they released him and I guess we weren't the only ones because one of the residents and one of the nurses said that Cody must be breaking the speed record on getting released after two days of chemo. We are delighted to be home in spite of the fact that it pushed our cleaning and organizing into mega-overdrive in order to protect him before his system becomes unable to fight off any germs or viruses. It was very encouraging to have the out-briefing nurse tell us to be watchful of both kids and adults worrying that Cody might die. She said that they are not thinking that's likely but if it were they certainly would be talking about it and that they fully anticipate curing him.

He's doing incredibly well in every aspect - physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually. In fact, once he got his 'silly' back after a couple of arduous days and the ill-effects of the chemo, I knew he was bouncing back fast. He kept calling me "Fluffy" and I thought, "Uh, ... ok, whatever" until he called me the 'full' name of Mrs. FluffyBottom which stemmed from a very early game we played when he was about 4 and was known as Mr. ... can't tell you since that's his 'secret' nickname and I'm not telling it.

Anyway, he's home and loves being in his own bed and taking credit for cleaning the disaster area known as his bedroom. Perhaps it was ME that was in a two-day delerium because I distinctly remember him being at the hospital while me, my sister and her mother-in-law cleaned like madwomen to get it ready.

We are very, very blessed to have such a great support system, both near and far. We'll continue to cherish your good thoughts and prayers and hope that your kindness and strength will be rewarded magnificently.
Posted By: spkjpr Re: quick note/request - 10/09/04 02:40 AM
Bren, my thoughts and prayers are with you. I have a little sister that had stage 3+ Breast cancer. That was 5 yrs ago and just got the news today that she is still cancer free and her counts are normal. I know the pain and worry.
Posted By: sparkync Re: quick note/request - 10/09/04 03:16 AM
Bren, My prayers and thoughts are with you. I love children very much. I have 3 children and 3 grandchildren. I know what a dad's love is.
God bless and keep you all... Steve [Linked Image]
Posted By: electure Re: quick note/request - 10/09/04 03:47 AM
Our thoughts and prayers are with you & yours, Brenda.
Posted By: CharlieE Re: quick note/request - 10/09/04 11:50 AM
Bren, I have hesitated to answer because of thinking about my wife in the process since she has terminal ovarian cancer (I suspect that this is her last Christmas season).

Many large strides have been made in fighting cancer and the young are more resilient. With our prayers and God's help, I trust Cody will have a long and bright future. In the meantime, you will be going through a lot of pain and stress. Turn that over to God and lean heavily on Him for strength so the both of you will have it to give to Cody (trust me, it works [Linked Image] ).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: quick note/request - 10/09/04 12:25 PM
Prayers for your son and family Bren.

Russell
Posted By: BuggabooBren Re: quick note/request - 10/09/04 01:54 PM
Thank you all, each of you, for your words of encouragement and your prayer time.

Charlie, I appreciate your post as I can't imagine facing the harsh realities you and your wife may be facing.

I mentioned to our pastor that I am "eternally optimistic" in both the figurative and the literal sense. I'm optimistic that Cody will do well and be cured in the immediate sense but I'm also optimistic in his eternal future as well just as I am with my other kiddos. As many know, I lost an infant daughter to a chromosome abnormality (similar to Down's Syndrome but fatal) and took great comfort after her death as each season and holiday approached that she was safe and enjoying eternity in God's kingdom and she surely understood more than even I did about the holy and joyful meanings behind the holiday celebrations like Easter and Christmas from her firsthand view.

Believe me, if it were solely up to me to carry this burden I would've fallen down and not gotten up a long time ago so I know to give it to God and not lean on my own understanding or strength! Cody's in good hands, that's for certain! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by BuggabooBren (edited 10-09-2004).]
Posted By: pauluk Re: quick note/request - 10/09/04 07:26 PM
Bren,

So sorry to hear about this, but keeping an optimistic outlook is half the battle, and you seem to be doing well on that count.

Some years ago the 11-year-old daughter of some friends of the family was diagnosed with a form of leukemia, and for a while it seemed very touch-and-go as she underwent treatment and continual flushing of the bloodstream. She pulled through with flying colors, and the last time I saw her before I moved away from the area she was a happy, healthy 16-year-old girl who wanted to go into nursing.

God bless.
Posted By: Roger Re: quick note/request - 10/09/04 09:11 PM
Charlie, you and your's have been added to the prayer list. I lost a sister inlaw to ovarian cancer when she was just 35, I know that there will be a time when all forms of cancer will be beaten, It just can't come fast enough.

Roger
Posted By: CharlieE Re: quick note/request - 10/09/04 09:55 PM
Thanks Roger but it was not my intention to draw any attention away from Cody and Bren, this is their thread.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy
Posted By: BuggabooBren Re: quick note/request - 10/10/04 03:53 AM
Not to worry from this end, Charlie. There's plenty of encouragement and prayer support for all. Cody's much more comfortable being in a friendly crowd rather than having the limelight solely on him. My prayers include my online acquaintances, too.
Posted By: Gloria Re: quick note/request - 10/10/04 11:46 AM
You guys are amazing! I wish I had friends like you all! [Linked Image]))
Posted By: CharlieE Re: quick note/request - 10/10/04 12:04 PM
Gloria, yo do. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Gloria Re: quick note/request - 10/10/04 08:41 PM
Thank you!
[Linked Image]
I'm religious, but I keep all these things inside, so I couldn't say "I add someone to my list" I guess my life gives enough attention to someone above there, but this is not about me. I pray inside verery day and night, awake or sleep, all my thoughts are my friends here, my relatives, my close relatives, especially when I see how people behave with their close relatives, looks like they are bored of them or something, until something bad happens.
I'm glad to have a place like this that I can always turn to for a little hope, but I guess I deserve no more than I have.
Maybe a man, who now I love very much will someday feel bored of me, I hope he will not, but this time I ask you to pray for yourselves not to loose your interest and love for your relatives in your life!
Apathy kills! Be good to each other! It is easy and makes you feel good!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pat@Amber Re: quick note/request - 10/12/04 02:54 AM
I thought I was having a bad month until I read your post. Give Cody a giant hug for all of us. I'm gonna go upstairs and cuddle with my 19 month old son for a while. My thoughts and prayers will be with you.

Pat
Posted By: mustangelectric Re: quick note/request - 10/12/04 03:05 AM
Hope your son gets to feeling better real soon....hang in there!

You have a lot of friends around here..

Best Wishes..

Mustang
Posted By: Steve McKinney Re: quick note/request - 10/12/04 08:50 PM
Bren, unfortunately we live in a fallen world where bad things happen to good people. No matter how hard we try, it is too much for us to understand. Life is not fair. I believe we are given loads to carry to help show others how, or not how, to carry them. We have a serious health problem with our baby daughter. I can get mad, cry, and scream at the world, but it won't make a bit of difference. It is not until we turn it completely over to Christ that we feel the burden lightened. And somehow in your "knower", you know all be alright. May God continue to bless you and your family Bren. Cody is a very fortunate young man to have such a caring/loving family. Each day is a gift.

Steve McKinney
Posted By: Megawatt Re: quick note/request - 10/13/04 11:21 AM
Bren, Sorry to hear about Cody's condition, but God's word tells Us that " The steps of a righteous Man are ordered by the Lord "
It may take some time before this situation will make any sence to Your' family, but I'm confident there will be people's lives touched through Your familys trial, that may never have known this Peace that passes all understanding !!!
Our Prayers are with You...
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: quick note/request - 10/15/04 11:32 PM
Bren,

I haven't posted much lately, but upon seeing your post of Oct. 6, I was moved to reply. I don't know how I would feel if I were in your shoes, but I want you to know that I am concerned about your life, and the life of your son. I'll be thinking about you.

God Speed,
Doc
Posted By: BuggabooBren Re: quick note/request - 10/18/04 02:19 AM
Thanks again, all. We're doing pretty well. My kiddos and hubby are all getting to be hand-washing fanatics along with my existing habit.

My son began to lose hair in a serious way today. He's been testing by tugging on it a little each day but today he finished with a handful of blonde hair. I think he & hubby are going to get the clippers out and shorten both of their styles quite a bit so it's not as much of a shock when Cody's is all gone.

Thanks again for all the prayers & good thoughts - it really does help us to be encouraged.
Posted By: LAwireman Re: quick note/request - 10/23/04 02:00 AM
Bren,

I admire your positive attitude, that is exactly what is needed from Cody, during times like this. my mother had breast cancer when i was in high school so i understand the task ahead. your faith will be tested but, dont ever lose it. we will pray for Cody's speedy recovery and wish you and your family the best of luck.
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: quick note/request - 10/23/04 12:35 PM
... I'm sorry Bren,I only saw this thread this morning or I would've posted earlier.

... I will ask Christ Our Savior to help you and Cody to become strong both physically and mentally,as well as Spiritually,in order to overcome this illness.I will Pray for the best for you both.Keep us posted,Bren, You both will make it through this,.. You are his Rock,Bren,and it seems like you're doing a great job so far.. God Bless!!
Regards Home,
Russ
Posted By: mvpmaintman Re: quick note/request - 10/23/04 05:35 PM
Bren-
Been away awhile too, may the Good Lord's blessing continue to give your heart strength and to help your son to heal.

I know it might sound strange, but take some time for yourself too, and make sure your other children know how special they are as well.

Dave
Posted By: harold endean Re: quick note/request - 10/23/04 09:22 PM
Bren,

Consider him part of my prayers too. Lets all hope and pray for the best.
Posted By: BuggabooBren Re: quick note/request - 10/24/04 05:06 AM
Thanks again, guys, I appreciate the uplifting notes!

Dave, good point about my other kiddos! In fact, the twins birthday was this past Thursday and Cody and I had to head for the hospital for a spinal tap. We got home early enough to buy a cake, wrap some presents and cook a birthday dinner for them. Today me and the girls had a 'girls only' outing and had fun shopping while my hubby & Cody hung around the house. We bought each of them a fleece cap since they have short, short hair.

Cody's hair started coming out and we got the clippers out and shortened it up so it would be less of a mess. My dh, Ed, and my dad let me give them each a buzz-cut in support of Cody.
Posted By: Jps1006 Re: quick note/request - 10/26/04 03:16 AM
Bren, I really admire your strength. My heart breaks when I think about what you're going through, but then encouraged when I see your faith in how you are handling it as well as the fine company we keep at this site.

My wife & I just had our second girl in August. Since this was first posted it's been on my mind. For a while there I was up pretty regularly for a 1:00AM or 4:30AM or anywhere in between feeding. It would be about an hour or so in the glider in the moonlight (we need blinds for her room still). But I bring this up because I would be rocking my baby and then I would think of you and yours. Talking to God in that setting is second nature, and it's been easy to add you to my prayers.
Posted By: KennyFrank Re: quick note/request - 10/26/04 11:59 AM
Bren,
Count my wife and I as being part of your support, we will include Cody, you and your family in our prayers. There is a lot of power in prayer, especially when so many are involved... could be the Lord listens to the squeeky wheel [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums