ECN Forum
I work with a group that if it is newer than 1940 technology it just will not work. Or so they believe. 2 years ago we bought a Burndy Y644M Dieless crimper they seem to like it on 480 volt work they were not sure about it at first but they did come around. They absolutly refuse to use it on 2400 and 13.2KV work. Their argument is that it makes a triangular shaped crimp with rounded corners and indented base it would create uneven stress around the lug or butt splice and cause the splice or termination to fail.I talked to the Burndy rep and he said their conserns are unwaranted.What is your all experinces with dieless crimpers on HV work. THANKS HYPRESS
Hypress,
All I can say is:
Absolute bunkum!. [Linked Image]
Provided that you are only using that sort of crimp on Copper conductors, I can't see a problem.
We've used this sort of crimp profile here for years in New Zealand and in some cases, it's more reliable than Hex-Crimp profiles.
We use that tool for 5 and 15 kv terminations all the time with no problems. I do take the precaution of filling the indent with semiconductor tape before intalling the stress cone.
Don
I've never used anything else and it regularly passes a hi-pot test.
Whats HIPOT mean? I see it on all of my computer parts?
The term HI-POT is a slang term for high potential testing of elecrtical wiring and equipment. Itis generally done with several thousand volts. There are standards you go by for new equipment and old equipment. It is generally done with DC however there AC HI-POTS.
© ECN Electrical Forums