ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Moderator or Arbitrator? - 09/05/04 04:28 PM
Is a Moderator supposed to be an Arbitrator too? If so, by what authority?:

Arbitrator: A person chosen to settle the issue between parties engaged in a dispute.

One having the ability or power to make authoritative decisions; an arbiter.
www.dictionary.com
Posted By: iwire Re: Moderator or Arbitrator? - 09/05/04 04:39 PM
I am a Moderator so I guess that makes me an arbitrator under the authority of Bill. [Linked Image]

However this only applies to the NEC section of this forum and considering the high caliber of the members here moderators are close to unnecessary. [Linked Image]

Bob
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Moderator or Arbitrator? - 09/05/04 04:45 PM
Thank you Bob for you answer here.

I am the one of the Moderator's of my forum at: www.joetedesco.com/nec so I guess that I can be considered as one too, when a situation arises that may need an Arbitrator, right?
Posted By: iwire Re: Moderator or Arbitrator? - 09/05/04 05:03 PM
Yes I would agree at the forums that you are listed as a moderator you have the power to be an arbitrator within the confines of that forum. [Linked Image]

Bob
Posted By: harold endean Re: Moderator or Arbitrator? - 09/06/04 12:57 AM
Joe and Bob,

I have the utmost respect for both of you guys, You can either moderate or arbitrate or capitulate and even speculate. In my eyes you guys are great and you must give up so much of your time to work with these boards, that I don't know how you have time for any thing else.

Harold
Posted By: LK Re: Moderator or Arbitrator? - 09/06/04 02:07 AM
Just a Thank You, for your time spent here at ECN

LK
Posted By: iwire Re: Moderator or Arbitrator? - 09/06/04 12:32 PM
Thanks guys but I get back whatever I give here. [Linked Image]

I am always learning something new from my time spent here.

I thank Bill for giving me the chance to be a part of a great web site. [Linked Image]

Bob
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Moderator or Arbitrator? - 09/06/04 12:39 PM
Joe and Bob,
I have the utmost respect for both of you guys, You can either moderate or arbitrate or capitulate and even speculate. In my eyes you guys are great and you must give up so much of your time to work with these boards, that I don't know how you have time for any thing else.

Harold

Just a Thank You, for your time spent here at ECN
LK

Thanks Harold and LK, we do have fun here!

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 09-06-2004).]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Moderator or Arbitrator? - 09/06/04 08:36 PM
I just have to say thanks to all the great members of ECN who make it unnecessary to really do much in the way of moderating or arbitrating anyway.

Anytime I edit somebody else's post in the non-U.S. area it's almost always just to correct a typo in a link, remove an obvious accidental double post, or something of that nature.

There really isn't much moderating as such needed. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Moderator or Arbitrator? - 09/06/04 10:44 PM
Ditto Bob and Paul's remarks. [Linked Image]
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Moderator or Arbitrator? - 09/07/04 04:03 AM
I'm with Harold. I appreciate what Joe and Bob do here.

Folks like them make me proud to be in the trade. [Linked Image]

Russell
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Moderator or Arbitrator? - 09/12/04 05:11 AM
Moderator,
As far as I am aware, should mean a person that is charged with the knowledge in thier particular Area, and also to give guidance and information, should it be required.
Another aspect of Moderator-ship, is the fact of encouraging further discussion, on a certain topic.
But at the end of the day, here at ECN, I've never had to remove a post in the OSD area,it is just the calibre of our Members that makes our Moderator's jobs so easy!.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: CharlieE Re: Moderator or Arbitrator? - 09/12/04 06:03 AM
Joe is like me or am I like him? Anyway, we both are stubborn and tend to get carried away when butting heads. Joe is one of the most intelligent persons I know and has a tremendous knowledge of the Code. Since we don't always see eye to eye, we need a moderator to cool us down.

It is interesting that we are both moderators on different forums but neither of us can moderate ourselves. After saying all that, I still see Joe as a friend, even after we argue (I just wish we could keep from being personal but I tend to get carried away). [Linked Image]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy
Posted By: sparky Re: Moderator or Arbitrator? - 09/12/04 01:43 PM
posters seek thier own level in true free speech chat rooms where no intervention is necessary

unfortunatley that doesn't happen here

~S~
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Moderator or Arbitrator? - 09/12/04 07:12 PM
posters seek thier own level in true free speech chat rooms where no intervention is necessary

unfortunatley that doesn't happen here
Sparky,

I really wish that you had more energy going in a positive direction.

Bill
Posted By: sparky Re: Moderator or Arbitrator? - 09/12/04 07:23 PM
yes Bill,
you find me upsetting because i don't usually subscribe to the status quo controlling our trade.

i call them as i see them Bill, suck up to no one, and make no appologies for my views

~S~
Posted By: iwire Re: Moderator or Arbitrator? - 09/12/04 07:38 PM
Sparky I am an idiot, please explain in straight forward terms that are easy to understand what you mean and what you would like to see done?

I am only able to decipher a small percentage of your posts.

Bob
Posted By: Roger Re: Moderator or Arbitrator? - 09/12/04 07:46 PM
Hmmmm, I wonder if the members here are refraining from "seeking thier own level of free speech" or if maybe they are still respectfull enough to one another that no intervention is neccessary.

I don't recall an idea or opinion ever being censured here, however personal attacks, rudeness, profanity, politics, religion, yes.

If these are some of the issues that are qualified as "Free Speech" and being sqelched here, then so be it.

Roger
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Moderator or Arbitrator? - 09/12/04 08:03 PM
To put some more perspective here. Sparky has been chastised in the past (and threatened with suspension) for repeatedly introducing Politics and unsupported innuendo into his posts.

No apologies here either,
Bill
Posted By: capt al Re: Moderator or Arbitrator? - 09/12/04 08:24 PM
sparky, please explain "The status quo controlling our trade".

Al
Posted By: e57 Re: Moderator or Arbitrator? - 09/12/04 08:36 PM
I too have had a post or two removed, for passing the "G-rating" line, and warned privately about it. Although, sometimes I think the "G-rating" is slightly different for each of us, and hard to tell where that line begins and ends, I do at least try to respect it.

Just my two pennies...

Back to topic, I enjoy most of the forums and find them very edjucational and informitive. Although, sometime opinion can seem to flare into near argument at times, most members can articulate their opinion well enough, and know when to let go.
Posted By: sparky Re: Moderator or Arbitrator? - 09/12/04 08:47 PM
sparky, please explain "The status quo controlling our trade".

it's simple Al, just follow the money...

offer up critique that may impede the wallets connected and see how fast you'll be splapped down

~S~
Posted By: sparky Re: Moderator or Arbitrator? - 09/12/04 08:56 PM
I don't recall an idea or opinion ever being censured here, however personal attacks, rudeness, profanity, politics, religion, yes.

well Roger,
are you going to deny that our trade has no political aspects to it?

i would say it's become very political in fact

so why are the pro's and con's, movers and shakers etc, not subject to debate here then?

~S~
Posted By: e57 Re: Moderator or Arbitrator? - 09/12/04 09:39 PM
Sparky, check your e-mail!
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Moderator or Arbitrator? - 09/12/04 09:48 PM
sparky,
offer up critique that may impede the wallets connected and see how fast you'll be splapped down
I made a large number of anti AFCI posts on this site and I wasn't "slapped down" nor were my posts removed. I will admit that a couple of theads on that subject were removed, but that was because some of the posts and responses between myself and and another member were getting personal and out of hand. In general there has been no supression of free speech on this site.
Don
Posted By: trekkie76 Re: Moderator or Arbitrator? - 09/12/04 10:14 PM
I agree with Don, I am allowed to put my foot in my mouth all the time [Linked Image]
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Moderator or Arbitrator? - 09/13/04 12:17 AM
Charlie is correct we are our own worst enemies and we never hold a grudge!

Ditto!

Joe is like me or am I like him? Anyway, we both are stubborn and tend to get carried away when butting heads. Joe is one of the most intelligent persons I know and has a tremendous knowledge of the Code. Since we don't always see eye to eye, we need a moderator to cool us down.
It is interesting that we are both moderators on different forums but neither of us can moderate ourselves. After saying all that, I still see Joe as a friend, even after we argue (I just wish we could keep from being personal but I tend to get carried away).

Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy

Before this thread gets locked I remain!

A pitcher of Rolloing Rock here please! [Linked Image]
Posted By: harold endean Re: Moderator or Arbitrator? - 09/15/04 01:33 AM
I have posted this before and I am sorry if I am reapting myself, but I have been hanging around these kinds of boards for YEARS. Just ask Joe T. The best thing I can say about this board is that everybody is given the right to speak their mind. this board has plenty of fine members, they are a great bunch of people. I have been on other boards where if you say just one thing you will be shot down in flames in a hurry. Some of the other boards the people were very bitter to each other and always putting each other down. On this board if we make a mistake, ( and we all do.) the people here don't condemn you for it. They might ask you again, to restate your position again to make sure that they read it correctly. It is difficult to read words and not get the drift or the intent of the speaker with out hearing the tone of his voice. The smiley faces help a bit, but even so, it is still very easy to get a meaning wrong. I can go on about how we have to treat each statement fairly and as correctly as possible, but I spoke too long. I will get of my soap box now. Sorry I took so long.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Moderator or Arbitrator? - 09/15/04 10:31 AM
I too can be very stubborn about things I feel passionately about, and moderating oneself is probably the hardest job of all.

We should be able to criticize the status quo, or question the generally perceived "correct" way of doing things, so long as it is done in a way which does not result in personal insults or degenerates into a "Did not!" / "You did too!" slanging match.

I can see Sparky's point regarding safety vs. politics/money. Those of you who follow the topics in the non-U.S. area will be aware of the new British "Part P" building regulations which will control the installation of wiring in domestic premises for the first time in England.

I am not alone in coming to the conclusion that these new regulations have more to do with control and raising revenue and will have very little real effect in improving safety.

There can be a fine dividing line between arguing the politics of the specific case and getting drawn into a wider political discussion.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 09-15-2004).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Moderator or Arbitrator? - 09/15/04 03:29 PM
This particular topic could get rather nasty, I hope that it does not become that way, for the the good of ECN. [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums