ECN Forum
Posted By: Redsy Where are you? - 08/31/01 02:54 AM
I often check profiles of our members to see where they are writing from. And I also am often disappointed when that field is left blank. It is not only interesting to know, but helpful in seeing different regional practices or local codes(SE Cable not allowed, NM cable banned due to rodent nibbling).
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Where are you? - 08/31/01 03:14 AM
(Heee hee hee hee hee) Do I really have to tell you?!?!

Lol! (Just kiddin' Redsy)

Yeah, c'mon guys and gals, don't be shy... Where are you from and what are your first names!

-Virgil (Uh... West "By God...")

[Linked Image from kellyelectric.electrical-contractor.net]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 08-30-2001).]
Posted By: Dallas Re: Where are you? - 08/31/01 04:47 AM
I'm just a postin' fool tonight. [Linked Image]

My little shop (pole barn) is in Brownsburg, Indiana, about 15 mins west of Indianapolis. I live another 30 minutes on west of B'burg though.

And my name really is Dallas (its Gaelic, by the way, not Texan) [Linked Image]
Posted By: sparky Re: Where are you? - 08/31/01 08:49 AM
I live in Chester Vermont, pop approx 2800, double during foilage season.
the entire states pop. is that of Boston Mass.
Chester is near the NH boarder ( which is the Conneticut river) about a 1/3 of the way up the state.

I'm Steve ....
good postin' with ya's [Linked Image]
Posted By: Redsy Re: Where are you? - 08/31/01 10:54 AM
I appreciate the effort. However, those willing to, should update their member profile so the info. is easier to find, as opposed to having it buried in this thread.

JOHN
Bucks Co. PA (NE suburb of Phila.)

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 08-31-2001).]
Posted By: Redsy Re: Where are you? - 08/31/01 10:56 AM
Originally posted by sparky:
I live in Chester Vermont, pop approx 2800, double during foilage season.
the entire states pop. is that of Boston Mass.
Chester is near the NH boarder ( which is the Conneticut river) about a 1/3 of the way up the state.

I'm Steve ....
good postin' with ya's [Linked Image]

The land of Phish and Ben & Jerry's?
Posted By: electure Re: Where are you? - 08/31/01 11:39 AM
Scott from Anaheim CA, about 3 miles away from Scott35, and about 5 miles away from Mickey Mouse.
Dallas, does that make you fairly close to Rockville on the 36?
Let's hear from some of you "anonymous location" guys!

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 08-31-2001).]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Where are you? - 08/31/01 12:35 PM
Bill, (Duh?) [Linked Image]
Centereach, The "Heart of Long Island"
(I think it's the center) Long Island, NY

Bill
Posted By: Matt M Re: Where are you? - 08/31/01 01:30 PM
My address is Laporte, Minnesota (pop. 100), but I'm actually about 6 miles from there. The wife and I really live in the toullies! My home is in a secluded area of the Paul Bunyan state forest on 40 heavily wooded acres. The headwaters (source) of the Mississippi river is just minutes to the west at Lake Itasca. If you trip and fall here, its very likely that you'll fall in a lake.

The nearest town of any size is Bemidji (pop 11,000), at 25 miles away. For you Bullwinkle fans, its the next town south of Frostebite Falls LOL. Bemidji is the first and northernmost city on the Mississippi river, and home to the famous statues of "Paul Bunyun" and "Babe" his blue Ox, which sit downtown on the shores of Lake Bemidji. If you ever visit the area, you'll note that darn near everything is named after them, ie. Paul Bunyan rural telephone co-op, Blue Ox lounge, Paulbunyan net, ect.

Matt Marsh
Posted By: WARREN1 Re: Where are you? - 08/31/01 03:10 PM
Well, it looks as if the South will have to rise again. The first name is Francis. I work at a large engineering, procurement, construction company in Greenville, South Carolina. I live 32 miles away in a small college town, Clemson, ya know the Clemaon Tigers? Well, I think they will be more like kittens this year, unless Tommy Bowden can pull out a miracle.
I get into very little construction, since I am in engineering, but I did spend a year in West Point, Pa not long ago (1999), so I know where Bucks Co. is.
I learn a lot from the post on this forum. We do all of our design per the NEC, however, all of our work is related to industrial or commercial.
Just a little about me.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Where are you? - 08/31/01 03:45 PM
[Linked Image from military.com]

Gee! We could visit each other! How about an ECN membership meeting sometime in the near future, can we have it at the ECN shop or in Vermont or WV?

Can somebody pick me up in Boston?

I agree, and I will beef up my profile. I wonder why we have a few members who have not even included their e-mail address?

I see where on another BB that they have to give this information so it will appear right on the screen.
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Where are you? - 08/31/01 03:57 PM
Is it my imagination or did they spell WV "WY"?

Darn typos...

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 08-31-2001).]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Where are you? - 08/31/01 04:41 PM
Well, my location IS listed, but here's a little more information.

I currently live in Eccles On Sea, which is in Norfolk (county) in the east of England. It's right on the coast (hence the name), and for any of you with a world atlas it's about 20 miles from Norwich, the largest city in the area. London is about 130 miles south-southwest.

I'm from London originally, but no way would I live in any big city - Too much noise, crime, and congestion, not to mention sky-high property prices. Also lived in some other parts of the country, as well as working in the U.S (Nebraska).

Eccles has about 300 homes, and is pretty much off the beaten-track. There's also a caravan site (trailer park to you) which isn't for permanent living but for holiday accommodation. Very peaceful and safe, lovely in summer, but a little wild and windy in winter.

WARREN1/Francis:
I visited Greenville, S.C. when I toured around the South a few years ago. Drove all around your area in Pickens & Oconee Co.in the mountains - Anderson, Seneca, across to Toccoa, Ga. Beautiful part of the world.
Posted By: Redsy Re: Where are you? - 08/31/01 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Joe Tedesco:
[Linked Image from military.com]

Gee! We could visit each other! How about an ECN membership meeting sometime in the near future, can we have it at the ECN shop or in Vermont or WV?

Can somebody pick me up in Boston?

Uncanny!
I actually wondered about a get-together this morning!
Maybe someday.
Posted By: George Corron Re: Where are you? - 08/31/01 06:55 PM
That's why I used my name the way I do. Northern Va by the way,work in Wash. DC, Maryland, and WV (WY???) also. Been in the trase 29 years, but the last two, I fell into an evil crowd and became a QA inspector (also AHJ) at Dulles airport for an engineering firm. I go to sleep in shame every night, but waddaya gonna do ? Get together??? OK, but ya gotta figure to do it somewhere where drankin, and scrappin' ain't looked down on....Hey Sparky66WV !!!! But as relates to my remarks on the quote, I reserve the water tower. Hee Hee
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Where are you? - 08/31/01 07:56 PM
[Linked Image from members.aol.com]

Wyoming County is in West Virginia!

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 08-31-2001).]
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Where are you? - 08/31/01 08:04 PM
Lol! Good point Joe! Hee hee!

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Where are you? - 08/31/01 08:42 PM
>I wonder why we have a few members who have not even included their e-mail address?
Because I already get too much e-mail.

Some folks think that because I answered questions on a public forum that I will answer their questions or follow-up questions privately. I don't believe in doing that because no one else can challenge my answer and it makes me personally responsible for my advice. And sometimes I don't read my e-mail for 3-5 days. If someone was waiting for me to answer, then I feel bad about it.
Posted By: sparky Re: Where are you? - 08/31/01 08:50 PM
The land of Phish and Ben & Jerry's?

yuppy,
and civil unions!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Where are you? - 08/31/01 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Joe Tedesco:

Wyoming is in West Virginia!

Plenty of people in England who would probably believe that!

I've seen people answering game-show questions here who think that Los Angeles is a state, Fla. is on the west coast, and Chicago is right next-door to NYC. Then they have to cheek to complain about Americans not knowing much about British geography. Go figure!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Where are you? - 08/31/01 10:22 PM
County Wyoming is in West Virginia. Joe was not kidding.
Posted By: Fred Re: Where are you? - 08/31/01 11:02 PM
I'm about 40 miles east of Indianapolis right along I-70. Nearest town of any size is New Castle, pop. 20,000 or so. Home of Steve Alford, if you're a basketball fan. I'm about 20 miles north of Rushville, home of Tony Stewart, if you're a NASCAR fan.
Posted By: Fred Re: Where are you? - 08/31/01 11:06 PM
Dallas, are you going to the Steam & Tractor Show @ Billie Creek Village in Rockville this weekend? If so, may see you there and not even know it!
Posted By: njelectricmaster Re: Where are you? - 09/01/01 02:42 AM
Hello From Colorado!!!!
I Know I have not been making any posts as of late and I am sorry, But I'm Back now!

I am glad to see that someone finally decided to address the problem of people not saying who they are or where they are from. I like to know a little about who I am talking to.

As for me, It is no secret that I am from Colorado Springs, Colorado. Live right in the heart of town, and dead center of Denver and Pueblo.
I am married to the love of my life, have two beautiful children, and the greatest job I have ever had is being an Electrician!!

As for a get together? I think I will have to stop off in Nebraska and pick up Golf Junkie on the way, cause that's the only way I would be able to make a cross country trip....Company for the drive!!!LOL

JON
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Where are you? - 09/01/01 02:57 AM
Doh!... But you inadvertently cut the "West" out of "West Virginia"! That is a capital offense here! (Hence West "By God" Virginia)

Hee hee... No offense taken...

(That is a map of counties in Southern WV BTW...)

Well, maybe we could all meet in Wyoming County West Virginia!! (Sure'd make it easy for me to get there!) Manifest Destiny?

Posted By: Mike Re: Where are you? - 09/01/01 03:39 AM
Hi, Boys! I live 150 miles southeast of Seattle and 200 miles southwest of Spokane in a town named Moxee. Just about dead center in Washington state. Moxee is French and named as such because of the early French pioneers who landed here. It's strictly agriculture country. Got lots and lots of hops. You know, used to flavor beer (mmmmm). Plenty of apples too. Temperatures reach 95-100 degrees in summer and usually mild in the winter, 30's and 40's. Although it can get downright cold somteimes. Say 0 to minus 15 degrees.
We call the Cascade mountains (Mt. Rainer, et al.) the "steel curtain." Duly named because they divide the westside (Seattle area) and the eastside where I live. East and West are like night and day. From the landscape to the politics. Green in Seattle. Desert brown country here. Liberal politics in Seattle and conservative here. Enjoy this BB a bunch. Have a safe and enjoyable Labor Day! God Bless America!

[This message has been edited by Mike (edited 09-01-2001).]
Posted By: stingray Re: Where are you? - 09/01/01 05:32 AM
Hi all, I'm from Loomis, CA. about 20 miles north east of Sacramento. It's interesting to see where you all are from.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Where are you? - 09/01/01 10:01 AM
Dspark:

I realized Joe wasn't kidding. I've even found Wyoming Co., W.Va. in my trust Rand-McNally road atlas.

I assure you though that plently of people here couldn't place either WV or the STATE of Wyo. on a map, and they certainly don't realize just how anyWashington, Lincoln etc. counties exist in different states. Even met someone who thought Washington D.C. must be in Washington State.

I suppose 3000 mi. is close enough!
Posted By: electure Re: Where are you? - 09/01/01 03:41 PM
Paul,
There was a test given to post graduates from the University of CA Los Angeles (UCLA) a few years back. If I remember correctly, about 40% of them were unable to find Los Angeles on a US map, or Russia on a World map. I find this sad.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Where are you? - 09/01/01 04:19 PM
Originally posted by electure:
Paul,
There was a test given to post graduates from the University of CA Los Angeles (UCLA) a few years back. If I remember correctly, about 40% of them were unable to find Los Angeles on a US map, or Russia on a World map. I find this sad.

40% of people at a university couldn't place their current location on a map??? Oh boy....

I'm not that good at world geography, but I can place all the major countries on a world map. If I do say so myself, at least I can place all 50 U.S. states on a map, name the state capitals and place all the major cities. Didn't go to university either!
Posted By: electure Re: Where are you? - 09/01/01 06:50 PM
Here's a neat thing. Terraserver. You can find any place in the US and get an aerial view.
This is set for my place (circ driveway at top, left of center, zoom out and you'll see what an anthill this is) but you can use the "find" feature above and get yours. Copy the lengthy url, and post it!
Virgil & I played with this a little. http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn....&X=2054&Y=18717&Z=11&W=0

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 09-01-2001).]
Posted By: nesparky Re: Where are you? - 09/01/01 09:18 PM
name is ed am from omaha nebraska
enjoy these posts lots of good info.
virgil-- like your web site
Posted By: Dallas Re: Where are you? - 09/01/01 09:24 PM
Scott, Yep Rockville is fairly close. Occasionly we even do a little work near there. How are you familiar with it? Come to the Covered Bridge festival?

Fred, this weekend is the North Salem Old Fashioned Days. Somehow we get volunteered to make sure the town doesn't go up in sparks after the farmers/organizers do the temp wiring :eek

Jon (njelectric); I have a good friend that lives out on the plains (Pritchett) He's a EC there, and one of my former apprentices. He's always trying to get me to pull up stakes and move out there somewhere. My wife and I really like Canon City, might just move there one of these days
Posted By: Nick Re: Where are you? - 09/01/01 11:45 PM
Well you can figure out my name. [Linked Image]
I live in Hesperia, CA about 70 miles outside of LA. Also about 70 miles from Scott35 and electure. Spent a lot of time working on Mickey's house. I haven't posted here much (just found it recently). I've been in Mike Holts forum for a while but I am enjoying this one just as much! Looking forward to participating more.
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Where are you? - 09/02/01 03:20 AM
Wow, Paul, I'm impressed!

There ain't much in Wyoming County...

Greenbrier has the Greenbrier Hotel Resort for it's worldwide fame... Five Star!

Many well name celebrities frequent there.

It also has the debunked bunker for the big ones during the big one. (How's that for witty ambiguity!)

There's rumor of 500 framed houses going in... about 10 to 15 years worth of work... I'm trying to get a foot in...

Look's like it's more than rumor:
http://www.greenbrier.com/docs/land_press.html
Posted By: pauluk Re: Where are you? - 09/02/01 10:04 AM
Virgil,

After I came back to England from working in Nebraska, I was considering going back to the States, and WV was one state I looked at very closely. I've never been to WV, but I did go as far as getting guides from the state tourist office and contacting real estate agents (over in Greenbrier/Nicolas Co. area - Summersville etc.). WV seems to be a very attractive state in many ways.

Due to family commitment here though, I never got to follow through in time, and my green card expired because I'd been out of the country over a year.

Crazy thing is that if I'd known, I need only have bought a cheap round-trip to NYC (about $300), spent one day there before returning, and then my card would have been OK for another year.

Had I done that I might be in WV today!

P.S. Like the pics. on your site of single-lane country roads. They still look quite good compared to many country lanes in England!
Posted By: aldav53 Re: Where are you? - 09/02/01 04:04 PM
Chandler, AZ
Posted By: electure Re: Where are you? - 09/02/01 04:59 PM
Nick, I think I need you here! You know the ridiculous California Codes! It's pretty tough explaining this stuff to anybody. Thanks, Scott
Posted By: Phil H Re: Where are you? - 09/02/01 08:47 PM
I live in Tujunga, CA, a bedroom community in the north-east corner of the City of Los Angeles. I work for a firm that designs and engineers large water fountains (features/displays not drinking), and manufactures the specialized components. I work with the manufacturing of mechanical components and assemblies but have a keen interest in electrical. I am learning a lot from all of you. Thanks

[This message has been edited by Phil H (edited 09-02-2001).]
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Where are you? - 09/03/01 04:05 AM
Hey, Dspark, what's your first name?

No email... Just your first name...

And which state are you in? No need to narrow it down to the city... C'mon, we're just curious...

You're among pals here!

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 09-03-2001).]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Where are you? - 09/04/01 08:36 PM
Dennis (hence the "D") from Pennsylvania.
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Where are you? - 09/05/01 10:49 PM
I'm Scott from Anaheim.
As electure Scott said, I'm 3 miles from him, but only 2 from Disney [more like 1 mile from the edges of D town [Linked Image]].

70 miles from Nick, who lives in the high desert amongst the Joshua trees and Yuccas and right atop one of the greatest train spotting places in So. California... Cajon Pass!!!

See ya!!!

Scott SET
Posted By: Ember Re: Where are you? - 09/06/01 11:50 PM
First name is Michael and I am new to this forum, and enjoying the input. I work for a local contracting firm and teach a couple of classes a year for Sign Electrican and Master Electrican Exam preperation. I live in the woods of Pinehurst, Texas approximately 40 miles North of Houston.
Posted By: gpowellpec Re: Where are you? - 09/07/01 02:36 AM
Name is Gerald Powell. Currently living in Irving, Tx (hopefully in the future to be the former home of the Cowboys). We need to put more of our sales tax money in mass transit instead of a new stadium for Jerry. The land TX Stadium is on could be used for some nice manufacturing or office facilities so a lot of people can make weekly paychecks instead of some making parttime wages and a few making millions. Sorry for going off on another social tangent.
Posted By: Redsy Re: Where are you? - 09/07/01 02:39 AM
Originally posted by gpowellpec:
The land TX Stadium is on could be used for some nice manufacturing or office facilities so a lot of people can make weekly paychecks instead of some making parttime wages and a few making millions. Sorry for going off on another social tangent.

Making millions for working a few hours a day, a few months a year!
Posted By: donles Re: Where are you? - 09/07/01 02:16 PM
Name is Don and I'm in South Fayette Township. It's a suburb of Pittsburgh in southwestern Pennsylvania. I'm an electrician (23 years) in a steel plant and a sole proprietor of my business that I started last year. I like the side business the most!
© ECN Electrical Forums