ECN Forum
Posted By: donles 2" KO in panel among smaller KO's - 07/09/04 12:31 AM
I'm upgrading a service and running new 2" pvc through the foundation wall. The panel is actually a subpanel because the main is pole-mounted 150' from the dwelling. If I run pvc straight to the sidewall of the panel enclosure (what's a better name for this?) it is an area populated with 1/2 KO's, closed of course and not likely to be used in the future. I'd like to locate a 2" conduit hole in this area. Is this kosher? I could make the hole and sandwich ko reducers to avoid having the smaller ko's drop out or to cover the holes in case they do.
My other option is to offset higher up on the side with 45's.
I'm going to look this up to see if the NEC specifically addresses it.
Don

[This message has been edited by donles (edited 07-08-2004).]

[This message has been edited by donles (edited 07-08-2004).]
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: 2" KO in panel among smaller KO's - 07/09/04 12:48 AM
I would say do it with reducing washers and you'll be fine. [Linked Image]
Posted By: OreElect Re: 2" KO in panel among smaller KO's - 07/09/04 12:49 AM
Sounds like you need a Electrician.
Posted By: electricman2 Re: 2" KO in panel among smaller KO's - 07/09/04 01:42 AM
He is one according to his profile.
Posted By: caselec Re: 2" KO in panel among smaller KO's - 07/09/04 02:23 AM
What size wire are you going to be pulling? It sounds like you are planning on entering the panel (loadcenter) opposite the branch circuit breaker area. If that is the case there isn’t enough wire bending room for large wire. You should either offset the conduit to enter the top or bottom of the side or install a pull can beside the panel to offset the wire into the correct area of the panel.

Edited to add NEC reference. See 408.35

Curt

[This message has been edited by caselec (edited 07-08-2004).]
Posted By: donles Re: 2" KO in panel among smaller KO's - 07/09/04 07:32 PM
Ryan_J and caselec

Thank you for your opinions and the code reference. I'll use 45's.

This forum is a pleasure to read and take part in due to helpful and considerate members such as you. That is true 99% of the time.
'nuf said.
Don
© ECN Electrical Forums