ECN Forum
Posted By: PEdoubleNIZZLE Clamping push and pray connectors - 07/03/04 08:07 AM
I have always hated seeing outlets that had the wires in the back instead of on the screws, but I have seen a new (well, somewhat new) type of backwire, where yu put the wires in the back and tighten the screw and it holds the wire securely into place (and has more surface contact area - i took apart a GFCI with this kind of connection). I would lke to know, whether opinion or study, how safe this is compared to wrapping the wire around the screw (assuming wire is Cu and the proper gauge)
Posted By: iwire Re: Clamping push and pray connectors - 07/03/04 10:42 AM
What follows is opinion. [Linked Image]

Almost all of the commercial grade outlets we use have the clamping type connections you describe.

For stranded wire they are much better than trying to wrap a screw.

For solid wire they also work great, I do not see them failing like the spring type back stab connections.
Posted By: winnie Re: Clamping push and pray connectors - 07/03/04 10:43 AM
Those sort of 'back wire' terminals are found on high end receptacles, and more and more on things like GFCI receptacles.

I _love_ back wire terminals, especially for _stranded_ conductors.

-Jon
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: Clamping push and pray connectors - 07/03/04 12:29 PM
... In my honest opinion,they should stop producing the back-stab,spring loaded connection,I can't believe UL lists that method as a sound,good connection,...and use only screw terminals,or..back-wire with screw terminal compression,like in the GFCI's as previously stated.
Russ
Posted By: Active 1 Re: Clamping push and pray connectors - 07/03/04 02:31 PM
Anyone try these plug in pig tail rec. from pass & seymour yet? I wonder how well they work in the long term.

Tom

http://www.passandseymour.com/
Posted By: sparkync Re: Clamping push and pray connectors - 07/05/04 01:59 PM
I agree with Russ, I think they should stop making the back stab recpts. Just yesterday, I had to go to a neighbors house to troubleshoot a problem with a room of recept. not working. Once again, the back stab connection was the culprit. I've found this problem over the years more than I can count. This time the wires had burnt in the back of the recpt. I've found them both ways; just loose in the back of the recpt. and also burnt up in the back. Years ago when aluminum was on the "go", it was really a bad fire hazard; seen them really destroy the wires and recpts [Linked Image] Steve

[This message has been edited by sparkync (edited 07-05-2004).]
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Clamping push and pray connectors - 07/05/04 05:09 PM
I'll pretty much go with everyone else here,
The backwire outlets seem to have a much higher failure rate in general... the amount of surface contact on the connections is too minimal IMO.. I pull out backwire outlets all the time & the wires just pop out [Linked Image]..
The outlets with the pressure plates which you tighten down via the side terminals are built much better & these are what I generally use (P&S BR15/20) I've never had a call back on them yet...
Tom, I've never come across those outlets yet, they 'look' pretty well built...

While on the subject, has anyone ever come across these yet??? http://www.protectconnect.com/index.htm

-Randy
Posted By: iwire Re: Clamping push and pray connectors - 07/05/04 07:14 PM
I agree the back stabs are junk, I am not so sure the NEC should stop the use of junk.

That to me is more of a job specification issue.

I also think whether we like it on not we may see the return of back stabs on devices for 12 AWG.

Right now in this area these (or ones like these) are becoming very popular.

[img]http://www.idealindustries.com/IDEA...3232?OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=jpg[/img]

No-twist connection

Low insertion force for fast, easy application

Accepts #18 to #12 AWG solid wire

Accepts #18 stranded (7 strands only)

Accepts #16-#14 stranded (19 strands or less)

Check port for continuity testing

Clear shell makes connection easy to inspect

UL Listed and CSA Certified

Rated to 600V maximum

Shell rated to 105° C

I can not see why the device manufacturers will not ask for fair and equal treatment and we will end up with 12 AWG back stabs again.

I see a lot of service calls in the future. [Linked Image] Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 07-05-2004).]
Posted By: sparkystudent Re: Clamping push and pray connectors - 07/06/04 04:44 AM
i wire we have several tubs of these show up at work some of the guys like them i personally dont, but in checking them i dont find a list/label for stranded wire, am i just missing it or has the label changed i the last year. guys like them for the rotozip repais so common on agressive cuttin boxes.....(gotta love the roto zip) [Linked Image] As for me personally we backstab only one brand of device(by bosses orders) if its not brand X then it gets the screw terminals i remember the old ones rated for 20 amp and remember doing a lot of R and R after they melted i dont mind them on brand x for a 15 amp. but im leery of the 20 a on the ideal setups

[This message has been edited by sparkystudent (edited 07-06-2004).]
Posted By: elektrikguy Re: Clamping push and pray connectors - 07/06/04 08:54 PM
Active 1.....Have you used these on the site yet?? What is the price compared to commercial spec grade receptacles? I like these for 2 reasons...

1. Would deter theft due to receptacle needing pigtail as well as receptacle. Most would not take the time to figure this out.

2. I could see the time savings when making joints and pigtails and overall installation of receptacles.
© ECN Electrical Forums