ECN Forum
Posted By: skingusmc Gas or Diesel - 06/19/04 06:56 PM
Not to open a can of worms, but what are your opinions as to having a gas or diesel engine for a work truck?

12000 - 14000 GVWR

Steve
Posted By: cs409 Re: Gas or Diesel - 06/19/04 07:12 PM
am assuming for work? if so, no need for diesel.....unless you haul a lot of materials which r heavy! difference in cost of gas and diesel verses mileage should not play in...cost of upkeep on diesel will cost u a lot when repairs etc do occure......... and last,,,,the front end of a diesel truck is REAL HEAVY, so u may want to think about that, esp on wet/muddy work area....aka, somebody help me get out LOL....my 2 cents
Posted By: e57 Re: Gas or Diesel - 06/19/04 07:26 PM
For that wieght... diesel! If the truck is loaded.

Stable fuel prices, longer engine life, more power.

My last diesel van drew snearing looks from the neighbors, and customers knew when I had arrived, from the noise though. Man, it was loud! I'm thinking of going back, just for the fuel prices next time. Gas prices hit $2.65 recently! One draw back is that not all gas stations carry diesel.
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Gas or Diesel - 06/19/04 09:48 PM
Diesel, hands down. And if you ever own a 4wd work truck,you'll never want anything else. Unless you're never off the pavement that is.

Russell
Posted By: Edward Re: Gas or Diesel - 06/20/04 02:30 AM
Same size engine in diesel will give you 7-9 miles more per gallon, will last longer, is more stronger. However, diesel is about 4-5 thousand more expensive. If you drive 15k kiles or more per year it is recommended to get a diesel.

Edward
Posted By: Active 1 Re: Gas or Diesel - 06/20/04 04:11 AM
Diesel!

Pros:
1. Less parts for emmisions, spark, computer, and fuel control means less to go wrong, less repairs, and more reliable. Try to compair the manufactures maintence scedules. The sprinter van is 10K miles between oil changes.

2. Engines have much more metal with bigger rods, fordged cranks, heavyer blocks and heads. Less chances of cracking, warping, or other failures.

3. Other parts on a diesel truck are stronger to match the low end torque and because manufactures figure that truck is going to be worked harder & longer. You get a oil cooler, better radiator, trans, differential, charging system, etc.. Look at the detailed truck specs change when you choose a diesel.

3. The engines tend to make the power and drive in much lower RPMs so the engine lasts longer. Say a diesel drives 60 mph at 1400 RPM and a gas engine drives 60 MPH at 2800 RPM. If they both drove this speed for 100K miles the diesel would have turned half as much RPMs as the gas one and would have 1/2 the wear.

4. Not to start a dispute but in my oppion you should expect 200K miles of GOOD engine life from a diesel but 100K from a Gas.

5. Diesel engines tend to come with a much better warrenty. Some come with a 100K mile engine warrenty.

6. Way more stable fuel prices. Most staitions never went up more than $0.10 in the last year. Not long ago 87 oct. unleaded was $ 2.29 and diesel was $ 1.79. Thats $ 15.00 differance in 30 gallons.

7. Fuel econimy. I drive all stop and go as fast as I can. last I checked I was at 13.5 MPG in a 12,000 GVR step van. My 1/2 ton Econoline with a gas 6 cylinder gets only 13 mpg. Both are have near 200k miles on them. The Econoline is on the 2nd engine the 6.2 diesel is orignal. Most manufactures don't publish EPA MPG rattings on heavy trucks. To compare you can try looking up a lighter truck with the same engine a figure it will only be worse. I think the sprinter diesel truck lists it in the high 20's mpg.

8. I think there is a $ 5,000 tax credit for buying a new diesel.

9. Something about a rattling of a diesel means to people that you are a profesional and you mean business.

10. With a manual trans the diesel has more engine breaking (using the engine to slow down) because of the high compression.

11. Diesel fuel stores and the truck stores well. Gasoline turns to a varnish gunk over a time.

Cons:
1. They do cost $4 or 5,000 more. Then add taxes and maybe financing to that.
2. Going out of your way to get diesel fuel.
3. Problems restarting if it was run out of fuel after addind fuel.
4. Need to plug in at night when it is about 32 F or colder. It will start hard if not. The batteries wear down fast starting an ice cold engine.
5. Hard to jump start.
6. Neibors or customers may not like the smoke when cold or the noise.
7. My diesel has torque but it is not as peppy a gas. It is listed at 185 HP and I think over 400 ftlbs torque. I wish I had and would recomend a turbo.

Tom
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: Gas or Diesel - 06/20/04 06:10 AM
i have diesel service truck and i have over 570,000 miles [ 12,000 hours running time] and i dont have much troble with this engine expect reguar manatince shedule i do change oil every 6,500 miles due alot of idleing time , fuel mpg average about 18 or so the truck weight in near 10,000 lbs with full fuel.

my truck is allready payoff more than once due the engine life and this engine is med-hevey duty btw it is international truck aka navistar and i do pull very hevey load with the diesel, try that with gas motor the gas engine will run very hot and keep pretty high rpm to keep up and one very big plus with diesel my is turbocharged and in the montains or steep hill i have constant power up to 10,000 feet altuide with natual asprated gas motor you will lose much as 30% or maybe little more . you will get the idea with high altuide areas [Linked Image]

btw the dodge sprinter van do get about 22 mpg average but if drive empty it can go much as near 30 mpg with rather large fuel tank in there

merci,marc
Posted By: enrique Re: Gas or Diesel - 06/20/04 03:29 PM
MAYBE YOU CAN USE IT AND $AVE!!!! www.realgoods.com/renew/shop/product.cfm?dp=3704&ts=4000001&kw=BIODIESEL
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Gas or Diesel - 06/21/04 09:14 PM
Who says you can't get alot of miles on a gas engine?

[Linked Image from pstr-m03.ygpweb.aol.com]

It's all in the maintenance [Linked Image] My personal preference is gas for 2 reasons... 1) getting onto California freeways at any speed under 80 mph is taking your life into your own hands.... Diesel has the torque to move most anything... but I prefer to have it moving at least 65 mph within 15 secs....
2) Diesel is HARD to find around here for some reason.... Our company uses ARCO gas cards & Ive only come across 3 ARCO's that have diesel.. 2 of them were in San Diego county (60 miles away)...

-Randy
Posted By: skingusmc Re: Gas or Diesel - 06/21/04 10:17 PM
Thanks to everyone for your response. I think I am leaning towards a diesel, as it seems that it will last me a lot longer and will be able to haul the loads I may need to carry.

Steve
Posted By: Joey D Re: Gas or Diesel - 06/22/04 02:49 AM
What truck are you looking at?
Posted By: e57 Re: Gas or Diesel - 06/22/04 04:38 AM
"any speed under 80 mph is taking your life into your own hands"

I also assume taking a picture of the speedometer at 90 is not?
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Gas or Diesel - 06/22/04 07:08 AM
Mark... I wasn't driving this time....
Posted By: e57 Re: Gas or Diesel - 06/22/04 08:04 AM
OK! I'm not sure what to make of that...
---------------------
It was clean enough to be an episode of CHiP's, right?

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 06-22-2004).]
Posted By: Delectric Re: Gas or Diesel - 06/22/04 10:06 PM
I have a couple of diesels, both Dodge Ram 3500's. One is a single rear wheel and one a dually. I have personally whipped a few youngens in their little tuner cars. My trucks are '03's with the lower HP engines. The new ones now pump out 325HP and 600FT LBS of torque. Buy one with a set of 4:10's and beleive me, getting on the freeway won't be any problem. Oh, by the way, my last tank on my SRW I got 20MPG (twenty)thats with 3:73's and on the freeway. My dually has 4:10's and is more like 15mpg but isn't broken in yet.Once broken in it should be around 18mpg or so, and it will pull a house.
Posted By: skingusmc Re: Gas or Diesel - 06/23/04 01:17 AM
Joey D (and all others);

I'm just in the "checking things out" phase right now, so I have just been on line looking at:

Isuzu - N Series - NPR HD Diesel, 14500 GVWR

Hino - Model 145 Diesel, 14050 GVWR

Both of these are the "cab forward/titl cab" type cab, so it wouldn't take up as much curb space.

Also looking at:

GMC - Sierra Chassis Cab Diesel, 11400 GVWR
GMC - C4500 Diesel, 16000 GVWR

I don't "intend" to go over 12000 GVWR, but a friend of mine has a Ford with 12000 GVWR, and he is maxed out and so he is at the limits of everything, and putting max wear on engine, trans, brakes, etc.

I think (if I can actually afford it) I would like to go up some and not max everything out.

Steve
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Gas or Diesel - 06/23/04 03:15 AM
Our company has a few Union Diesel cubes & they were hard pressed to get into the freeways.. Also they were only 3 speed auto transmissions which didn't help matters at all...

One of my friends has his own beheamoth service cube on an International platform which I think is the same as this
International

This thing IS a very nice rig! comfortable & decently roomy cab are major pluses, & as typical with diesel, he can pull just about anything short of a Wal-Mart trailer... He loves it [Linked Image] Next time I see him, I'll take some shots...

-Randy

[This message has been edited by Lostazhell (edited 06-22-2004).]
Posted By: Active 1 Re: Gas or Diesel - 06/23/04 04:37 AM
Keep in mind too high of a GVW may limit the streets you should drive on. Weight limits can be based on actual total, actual axle, liciance plate rating, or listed GVW. Every area here is different. A number of residential streets here have a 12,000 max GVW limit.

It's my understanding that if your listed GVW is 14,000 and you drive on a 12,000 max GVW road even if you weigh less than 12,000 you in trouble.

Those Dodge Cummings diesels are great but they never came in any van set up.

Diesels also have a better resale value.

In Illinois you don't need to do emmision testing/repairs if you have a diesel. I think med duty trucks are exempt too.

Try looking at step vans too. http://www.freightlinerchassis.com/wv_default.asp?page=wv_mt45fab&nav=mt45

Tom
Posted By: Freqdrive Re: Gas or Diesel - 06/23/04 06:48 PM
Cummings Turbo Diesel ! The only way to fly!
Posted By: Desmo Re: Gas or Diesel - 06/25/04 01:08 AM
i wish ford sold the transit in the usa. i had several. gas and diesel. the diesel was definitely better all around. the only real advantage that the gas engined ones had was that they tended to accelerate better. but i think they have improved on that now.my main gripe with the diesel was that you allways smelt of it , it seems to permeate your clothes etc. plus they were a bit noiseier. but as in an earlier post, the diesel does sound like you mean business.
Posted By: Delectric Re: Gas or Diesel - 06/25/04 03:08 PM
The Hino (not manufactured by but affiliated with Toyota), Isuzu's, UD (Nissan) etc. are all good trucks but you better have patience and a fat wallet when you need parts. The Dodge dually has a 12,000lbs gvwr but many are way overloaded and they can pull 16,000 lbs. (Dodge specs.)I have seen a couple guys run what they call "Hot Shots" and pull 36,000lbs and have their rigs classified as med. duty trucks (I don't know the specifics). The cummins 5.9l can be ordered in a Ford F700 as well as other med. duty trucks and industrial equip. The first overhaul in the owners manual is recomended at 340,000 miles. Its got 4 wheel disc brakes which are the largest of the big 3.Besides that, those japanese rigs are uugggly.
© ECN Electrical Forums