ECN Forum
Posted By: Sandro Isolated ground runs. - 06/09/04 02:11 AM
Do I need to run a separate ground from the panel to EACH isolated ground receptacle, or can I run a single insulated ground conductor from the panel and stop off at each junction box and pick up each IGR at each station JB? Is there a limit to how many IG I can pick off of a single line?
Posted By: twh Re: Isolated ground runs. - 06/09/04 03:14 AM
In Canada, see rule 10-906(9)
Posted By: iwire Re: Isolated ground runs. - 06/09/04 07:26 AM
It is up to you and the job specifications.
Posted By: Radar Re: Isolated ground runs. - 06/09/04 09:10 PM
IG doesn't mean dedicated ground for each outlet. As Iwire says, check your specifications. Generally it means a separate isolated and insulated grounding wire besides the equipment grounding conductor.

So, for a 120V outlet, one would end up with a hot, a neutral, an equipment ground (for the conduit & outlet box), and an isolated ground (for the ground prong of a receptacle).

You can usually string several IG outlets together without a problem, depending on specifications. However, some engineers and/or specifiers have different ideas about what IG means.

Lastly, if the breaker panel feeding your circuit does not have an IG bus with an upstream isolated ground conductor back to the main, are you really getting an isloated ground?

Radar
© ECN Electrical Forums