ECN Forum
Posted By: straightedge lineman vs. electrician - 05/25/04 02:37 AM
Is there a difference between a lineman apprenticeship program and a electrician apprenticeship program?

If so, how do you get into the lineman apprenticeship program?
Posted By: Fred Re: lineman vs. electrician - 05/25/04 02:59 AM
There is a BIG difference. The two jobs deal with two different species of the electrical animal family.
Posted By: DougW Re: lineman vs. electrician - 05/25/04 04:38 AM
In a simple description?

Lineman Deals with power distribution from the generating plant or inter-utility distribution point to the customer's POP (Point Of Purchase) - what we call the "service point", where the service drop is connected to the customer.

Electrician Deals with the distribution of power inside the premises (note - not necessarily the building), including using approved wiring methods to meet Code (and customer needs), the installation and maintenance of power - served appliances such as motors, and the installation and maintenance of other electricity utilizing devices on the premises.

There are several Lineman websites out there - I will try to find the ones I have visited before, and post them here.

<Update> Check out these sites:
www.powerlineman.com
www.lineman.com
www.lineworker.com
www.elineman.com
www.njatc.org/apprentice/outside.htm

That should be a good start for ya!

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 05-25-2004).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: lineman vs. electrician - 05/26/04 10:05 AM
Straight-edge,
As anyone, that has come from a Lines background, will tell you, the work of Lines workers, is very hard yakka!.
Pole and Ladder work is the norm, as well as using a Bucket Truck add to the experience you have to have, to be a Qualified Linesman. [Linked Image]
With Live-Glove and Barrier work increasingly seeping into our work and also Live Hotstick 33 and 66kV, the chances of accidents increase all the time!.
Cover-up gear is the norm, these days. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: lineman vs. electrician - 05/26/04 10:08 AM
Another thing is,
Ever seen the size of a 33kV insulator when it is on the ground?
And the bolts which connect the wires?.
Posted By: straightedge Re: lineman vs. electrician - 05/27/04 12:39 AM
Trumpy,

No, I have not seen the size of 33KV insulator on the ground.

All I know is that APS, (Arizona Public Service), is hiring new journeyman Linemen for 35.49 per hour with awsome benifits.

I think perhaps the risk is worth it. Just don't know how to get in the door.

I was hoping that my apprenticeship would be honored with them. As I have now learned that the linesmen and electrician trades are very different.

I would still be willing to learn if they pay for my schooling.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: lineman vs. electrician - 05/28/04 08:55 AM
Straightedge,
If you want to head down the Linemans track, all power to you I say (no pun intended. [Linked Image]).
Having done a New Zealand Line Mechanics Apprenticeship after doing an Electrician's Apprenticeship, I would say that, you should be welcomed by a PoCo, or so forth, because you already have the basics of Electricity practice under your belt, in your area.
The great majority of Lines work is knowing how things are wired, within your area of work, with respect to the orientation of lines on poles and Transformer ratios.
Hey, all the best, I say!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: lineman vs. electrician - 05/31/04 10:53 AM
People at ECN like Bjarney and myself can give you all the help you need, with respect to the cross-over to HV work, just tell us what you need to know?
That is not to disparage a good grounding in HV principles though, through practice!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Lunatic Lineman Re: lineman vs. electrician - 06/17/04 03:45 AM
I just wanted to mention that a website was left out on the list above that caters to Linemen.
http://www.Line-Man.com

It's a little less than a year old now and focuses on Power, CATV, Telco and Fiber Workers.

Lots of good content and industry news.

[This message has been edited by Lunatic Lineman (edited 06-16-2004).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: lineman vs. electrician - 06/17/04 10:34 AM
End of the argument, I would say having done both Trades, in New Zealand here.
Is this, an Electricians ticket is a hard thing to get.
A Line Mechanics ticket is twice as hard to get, mainly because of the size of the wires and the equipment that you are working with.
You need large hands and fingers to be able to use the gear that us Lineys have to use.
Also if you are going to go into HV work, you can more or less put money on being called out during nasty weather, rain, snow and all the rest.
While everyone else is reasonably warm inside thier houses, you won't be!.
Posted By: Lunatic Lineman Re: lineman vs. electrician - 06/17/04 05:01 PM
<quote>Also if you are going to go into HV work, you can more or less put money on being called out during nasty weather, rain, snow and all the rest.
While everyone else is reasonably warm inside thier houses, you won't be!.</qoute>.

That's a big 10/4 on the elements. Depending on your job description you most likely will be called out into the elements. But that does have it's rewards in the long run. The money's great, yet the hours can be long and hard up top of a 60' pole in the middle of a storm.

In addition, Construction specialitst are called up to work on storm repairs and it's not unusual to see 70-80 hours/week for 2-3 week periods.

Hope that helps answer a few questions

Luni
Posted By: Trumpy Re: lineman vs. electrician - 06/17/04 05:53 PM
Wow Luni!,
Welcome bud!. [Linked Image].
Posted By: Lunatic Lineman Re: lineman vs. electrician - 07/08/04 05:08 AM
Sorry fella's, had to take a little break from the WWW thing. Running a website and trying to keep up with everyday life can take a toll on ya.

Just getting back into things and doing some checking in. Looks like things have been kickin over here, just when I thought the world stopped spinning cause I stepped off.

Hope everyone had a great 4th.

Luni
Posted By: rizer Re: lineman vs. electrician - 07/09/04 08:22 PM
hey straight edge you might want to consider why they get paid so much, the voltage is absolutly unforgiving you get hit once and its over. your body cooks inside out and you may get lucky and only lose a limb or two.
Posted By: straightedge Re: lineman vs. electrician - 07/10/04 05:13 AM
Thanks rizer,

I have checked out some of the linesman websites and noticed that just about every one of them has a dedicated page to the fallen brothers.

That does get me to re-consider the money.

I would have been killed many times by now if the voltage was any higher than 480V.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: lineman vs. electrician - 07/10/04 06:44 AM
Hang on a moment!.
I've been a Line Mechanic for a few years now and just like Residential work, Line work can be as safe or as dangerous as YOU make it!.
One thing that I have noticed in the Safety Area, is the fact that some Lineys don't wear Gloves on HV lines.
I mean, you wouldn't put your hand in a Crocodiles mouth would you?.
And rizer, the reason us guys are paid at the level we are, is because it is really hard work!.
And another thing is, most of our Lines workers here hold Advanced Trade in Live Glove and Barrier work and some also hold licences in 110kV Hot-Stick work.
So we are in no way dumb people, our knowledge and experience keeps us alive!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: rizer Re: lineman vs. electrician - 07/10/04 08:45 PM
trumpy, don't recall calling linemen "dumb people". the work has a much higher risk of immediate death when the slightest mistake or as you put it lack of safety is involved. a recent documentary on linemen presented by the history channel showed what happen to one unfortunate linemen who had just topped out and didn't use his gloves he now uses prostetic arms to spray paint markings on under ground hv lines. i believe linemen are just as smart as the rest of us sparkys and have a whole lot more balls to do that kind of work. the trade has come a long ways since the days of henry miller when they used felt hats to warn them there heads were getting to close to the lines.
© ECN Electrical Forums