ECN Forum
Posted By: DougW taps and splices - 05/22/04 12:10 AM
Just got done perusing this thread:

And I'm wondering - we've all seen ads for the "solderless" (crimp) connectors, and the "squeeze-splice" devices for 10-22AWG.

(No, I'm not talking about the "big" T&B/Burndy taps/spices/crimps, just the "little" plastic ones.)

The only place I could think of is connecting line cords inside lighting fixtures or small appliances - and that's for the "butt" connectors.

Despite a UL listing, how many of us actually use them on 110? And where?

Just curious...

Posted By: NJwirenut Re: taps and splices - 05/22/04 01:08 AM
Do you mean the standard red/blue/yellow "Stakon" type terminals?

I use lots of them when wiring control panels and similar equipment using stranded MTW type wire.

I also use them (spade lugs) when attaching stranded THHN conductors to device terminals. Even if it isn't strictly required according to UL, it makes for a neater job, IMO.

The buttsplices are occasionally useful for automotive wiring, such as replacing a stereo or tying in an alarm system. The insulation-piercing tap connectors are generally pretty lousy, though.

The most important trick to using these terminals reliably is a proper crimping tool. The only tools that work consistently well are the full-cycle ratcheting type, with a crimp die that completely encloses the terminal while crimping. The standard plier-type crimpers can either damage the plastic insulation or undercrimp the terminal.
Posted By: DougW Re: taps and splices - 05/23/04 08:51 PM
Wondering (in particular) about these - "Insulation Displacement Connectors", that 3M says can be used for automotive or branch wiring. Anyone you know of ever used these in wiring a house - other than for phone/data/sound?

Sorry - URL seems to be too long to fit.

(long url removed - see below for working link)

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 05-23-2004).]
Posted By: Ever Ready Re: taps and splices - 05/23/04 10:31 PM
Tried the link with no joy

[This message has been edited by Ever Ready (edited 05-23-2004).]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: taps and splices - 05/23/04 11:03 PM
Lemme try: >> Insulation Displacement Connectors

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 05-23-2004).]
Posted By: Active 1 Re: taps and splices - 05/24/04 12:17 AM
I don't think they are all that great for cars and would not use it outside of it. They are great for under a dash when you don't have any room or slack on the wires. Just get your pliers up there and pinch it on. They are used for a lot of auto accesories for this reason. Not a good enough connection for anything that matters on a car.

I have herd some swear by them for large ballest change out jobs.

Posted By: Ever Ready Re: taps and splices - 05/24/04 09:32 AM
Thanks for the link Bill, I have used a lot of these in the past but only on low voltage equipment, I wouldn't like to use them on mains voltage.
Posted By: DougW Re: taps and splices - 05/24/04 07:54 PM
Thanks Bill!

I've used them in cars myself, but was surprised to see the "UL Listed" for "house current" use, and suggested for branch circuit wiring.

I don't know if many of the AHJ's I've worked in would be too happy seeing those tucked into a 1900 in lieu of the traditional wire nut/pigtail combo!

Thanks to all,

© ECN Electrical Forums