ECN Forum
Posted By: cviehland $49.95 receptacle! - 05/15/04 11:04 AM
Check out this link:
http://store.yahoo.com/rav/psaudpowpor.html

I'm 100% for using high quality electrical supplies, but I think this is ridiculous. There are some wild claims and complete false statements on the site. $nake oil!

Charley
Posted By: Trumpy Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 05/15/04 11:34 AM
Hi there CV!.
Welcome to ECN!. [Linked Image]
Yes, this site sounds like the proverbial Snake oil.
Just makes you wonder though, what sort of an idiot would buy into that?.
Hehe, a receptacle makes your stereo sound better!.
Next they'll be saying that Oxygen free cable works better than normal Copper wire! [Linked Image]
Posted By: iwire Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 05/15/04 11:58 AM
Welcome cviehland

Yeah we all want some of those outlets and the price is dropping. [Linked Image]

They started at over $150, if you follow this link you can see how much the price is comming down.

https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002999.html

Bob
Posted By: :andy: Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 05/15/04 02:09 PM
now you got to decice what to do.

laugh at the people that buy it, or be sorry for their stupidity and the money that could have been invested in 15 nice CDs instead...
Posted By: hbiss Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 05/15/04 03:34 PM
These guys are laughing all the way to the bank with sucker audiophile money.

I remember those $150 ones, they were gold plated, these are nickel. What the heck do they do, buy Hubbell receptacles and take them apart?
-Hal
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 05/15/04 04:13 PM
Anyone really read that ad?
This is a custom built, hospital grade, isolated ground, 15 to 20 amp receptacle that is easy to install either in your home's wall socket or in your Power Plant.
These people should get some emails about this.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 05/15/04 05:01 PM
Bill beat me to the punch! Since when has running an isolated ground ever been easy!?!! Especially in a house full of romex! [Linked Image] So now there expensive & misleading!

-Randy
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 05/15/04 05:16 PM
Randy,

Yes, this is touted like a simple replacement for the typical wall receptacle. How does the isolated ground get hooked up?

The other issue I see is that this is a 20A receptacle, they don't have a 15A model available there.

I think installing this thing would be a code violation more times than not.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hbiss Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 05/15/04 05:35 PM
...The Power Ports also have an isolated ground. This means that the ground connections of your AC plugs are not common to the strap that affixes the outlet to the wall housing. In many homes the boxes that contain the receptacles are grounded through the house wiring or the metal pipes that contain the wiring, and leaves you little to no control over grounding... They are incredibly easy to install... remove the cover plate. Remove the two screws affixing the existing receptacle and pull the receptacle out from the box. Using a Phillips screwdriver, simply disconnect the wires from the existing plug and place them on the Power Port.

So in most cases the receptacle will be ungrounded.

You can even run a 15 amp circuit on the bottom plug and a 20 amp on the top plug or vice versa.

This is a 20 amp receptacle.

This isn't just misleading it's wrong! Can't something be done about these guys?

-Hal
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 05/15/04 08:09 PM
I'm just curious how long its going to be before these guys pack up & disappear when people start losing equiptment, & possibly lives due to inaccurate instructions & misleading statements! This is horrid! [Linked Image]
99% of the people who fall for this won't know that having a metal box to screw this into won't do any good with the yoke isolated.. If their lucky, these guys haven't removed the Hubbell applied label stating that a ground wire is necessary for grounding. [Linked Image]

At least they could've used GFCI's for their scam... at least the ground issue would be kinda dealt with from a safety standpoint when there isnt a ground! [Linked Image]

-Randy

[This message has been edited by Lostazhell (edited 05-15-2004).]
Posted By: Roger Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 05/15/04 09:11 PM
Cviehland, welcome to the forum. It's truly amazing what some people will do and what some will fall for.

Now, on the up and up, I have three 55 gallon drums of "fish net holes" for a reasonable price if anyone is looking. [Linked Image]

Roger
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 05/15/04 11:43 PM
Getting better... Here's the touted "Designer Line" Isolated ground outlet... But something just doesn't seem right on the "isolated" front now...

[Linked Image from psaudio.com]

I wonder if Hubbell would have any recourse on this... If I came & saw this outlet in a house, with the Hubbell name on it, I'd think it'd be a Hubbell design..
I just dropped an email to Hubbell.. I want to see what they think! [Linked Image]

-Randy

[This message has been edited by Lostazhell (edited 05-15-2004).]
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 05/16/04 12:16 AM
Is that an IG receptacle? The green dot means hospital grade, but I don't see the triangle marking for Isolated Ground.

AFAIK, IG recepts are supposed to be orange, as well.
Posted By: hbiss Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 05/16/04 01:11 AM
I'd think it'd be a Hubbell design..

What the heck do they do, buy Hubbell receptacles and take them apart?
-Hal

After reading their sales pitch further, apparently these are custom manufactured by Hubbell for these guys. I can't see how Hubbell would have any responsibility for what their "customer" does or how they promote the product, although I wouldn't want my name attached to it.

And, no, IG receptacles do not have to be orange. The just have to have the orange triangle on the front.

-Hal

[This message has been edited by hbiss (edited 05-15-2004).]
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 05/16/04 02:58 AM
Bob, The "designers" aren't isolated ground as seen in the above pic... but they're saying they are! [Linked Image]
http://www.psaudio.com/cart/ProductDisplay.asp?productID=8
Posted By: nesparky Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 05/16/04 03:48 AM
As PT Barnum was reputed to say "There a sucker born every minute". There is also a crook willing to take the suckers' money at every chance. [Linked Image]
Posted By: FWL_Engineer Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 05/16/04 11:45 AM
If these people are so stupid, I think I could make a fortune importing some real FILTERED sockets into the US..not those mickey mouse ones [Linked Image]

[Linked Image from mkelectric.co.uk]

BTW..Hi everyone.
Posted By: electure Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 05/16/04 01:32 PM
I explored the manufacturer's site some.
This is so chock full of bull-onee that I'm furious.
They know just exactly what they're doing...Lying.

Bill, count me in on the e-mailer's list
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]...S
Oh and yes. Welcome to you, FWL_Engineer!!

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 05-16-2004).]
Posted By: pauluk Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 05/16/04 01:42 PM
Oh boy, not another one of these "Audio grade" rip-offs. What bugs me is that people who fall for this nonsense don't seem to have the sense to think it through any further.

Put in an "audio grade" receptacle. O.K., so what about the "audio grade" Romex, wirenuts, and circuit breakers to go with it?

Are they going to convince the PoCo to install an "audio grade" transformer on the pole? How about "audio grade" generators back at the power station? [Linked Image]

FWL,
Not enough profit trying to sell an MK outlet to the P.T. Barnum crowd at vastly inflated prices. Better to start off with something cheap, like Powerlectric!

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 05-16-2004).]
Posted By: FWL_Engineer Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 05/16/04 02:05 PM
Powerlectric!

Oi..Language..ladies present!!! [Linked Image]

In case your wondering..no I am not one of them!!
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 05/16/04 02:43 PM
... Maybe it's just an "oversight"...but did anyone see a UL listed stamp,or CSA,or anything written in text to verify this..??
Sounds pretty fishy to me..
Russ

[This message has been edited by Attic Rat (edited 05-16-2004).]
Posted By: hbiss Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 05/16/04 10:26 PM
Was it in this forum awhile back that a contractor told us of a homeowner who wanted his UG service changed from aluminum to copper because it would make his A/V system sound better and the video clearer? [Linked Image]

-Hal
Posted By: Bjarney Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 05/16/04 10:28 PM
It’s difficult to tell whether ‘staggering idiocy’ applies more to the sellers or buyers of this stuff.
Posted By: FWL_Engineer Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 05/16/04 10:56 PM
I would point out that Copper does actually suffer less transmission generated noise than Aluminium Conductors, so there is some truth in the idea behind the request..even if it is about as practical as wiring a wendy house with security lighting!! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by FWL_Engineer (edited 05-16-2004).]
Posted By: sparked Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 05/16/04 10:56 PM
Hbiss:
Look closely at the pictures.. you can see "Hubbell" stamped into the face in an oval. This proves to me that this isnt "custome milled nickel" but somebidy spray painting a Spec grade Hubbell grey and selling it for a HUGE profit.
edited... grey..green..its all good

[This message has been edited by sparked (edited 05-16-2004).]
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 05/17/04 06:19 PM
How does the isolated ground get hooked up?

Well, you just take the bare wire and tape it, then it's isolated, right? [Linked Image]
Posted By: hbiss Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 05/17/04 09:49 PM
Look closely at the pictures.. you can see "Hubbell" stamped into the face in an oval. This proves to me that this isnt "custome milled nickel" but somebidy spray painting a Spec grade Hubbell grey and selling it for a HUGE profit.

Yes, I saw the Hubbell logo. I assumed (and to assume anything from these crooks would make me an idiot) from what the say that these are custom made for them by Hubbell who nickel plates everything before assembly. BUT you have a good point. I'm not a plating guy but I wonder if the assembled receptacle could be dipped in a plating solution, with all the metallic parts electrically connected together to the plating voltage, to nickel plate the parts. If you look at the screws they are plated too. This would leave Hubbell out of this.

-Hal
Posted By: ProCircuit Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 05/18/04 12:35 AM
Typical contact materials found in 99% of all home electrical systems are brass which can and does lose connectivity over just a few months.

Power Port installation
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 05/18/04 12:52 AM
I'm glad you guys posted this....I'm sending the 8 of them that I bought back RIGHT NOW!!!!!

LOL
Posted By: electure Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 05/18/04 12:52 AM
They don't have to bother with nickel plating them.
They buy 'em, brand 'em, and sell 'em.

Hubbell Hospital Grade Receps are already nickel plated at the factory

...S

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 05-17-2004).]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 05/18/04 01:00 AM
They make no mention that they cannot be put on a 15A circuit or that in most cases they will not function as isolated ground or be a code violation.

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 05/18/04 01:51 AM
I'm glad you guys posted this....I'm sending the 8 of them that I bought back RIGHT NOW!!!!!
LOL

...Ryan,you're a trip!!!! ROFLMAO!!!

Russ
Posted By: pauluk Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 05/18/04 09:26 AM
I had a quick look at some of the other pages on this site.

Considering the mumbo-jumbo over receptacles, it's no surprise that other sections contain similar amounts of baloney. The Stereo explained page is a good example.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 05-18-2004).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 05/18/04 06:21 PM
From the PS website:
Knowledge is the key to understanding.
More like, Knowledge is the key to saving a heap of cash. [Linked Image]
Posted By: PEdoubleNIZZLE Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 06/17/04 06:40 AM
Someone might have said it and I skipped it, But if it's such a "high quality outlet," why does it have the "Push and Pray" connections on the back?
Stereo System $500.00
New Fangled Outlet $49.99
Pretending you hear the difference in sound quality as not to look like a fool: Priceless
-Josh
Posted By: Big Jim Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 06/17/04 08:08 AM
Those have special berrilium copper springs to make proper contact with your oxygen-free copper conductors (12-2, $2.50 a foot)
Posted By: SteveMc Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 06/17/04 08:04 PM
Oxygen-free for $2.50 a foot? That almost as cheap as regular Romex!
Posted By: e57 Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 06/18/04 01:15 AM
Imagine saying this!
"And, for this next change order...."
At $50, plus mark-up! Then imagine yourself in court, deffending this item!

Or, "And, for this next change order, we suggest an isolated feeder for the A/V Panel, and 50 Amp True-sine isolation UPS. And, due to connectivity problems, we'll have to have all of your equipment re-listed for hard wiring. This way we can eliminate recepticals all together. You'll really hear the differance!"
Posted By: DougW Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 06/18/04 02:13 AM
And for our next item, the HiFi Transmogrifier... guaranteed to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow... a common cause of static and poor tuning... only $399.95 (shipping extra)
Posted By: wa2ise Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 06/18/04 02:52 AM
Looking at the pictures at http://www.psaudio.com/articles/powerportinstallation.asp isn't it kinda pointless to use an isolated ground outlet with a plastic box?

Looking at the pictures a bit closer, that looks like a metal box. Duh..... :-)

[This message has been edited by wa2ise (edited 06-17-2004).]
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 06/18/04 03:04 AM
Wa2ise.... You're still right on the pointless - point! The ground wire is (or should be) bonded to the metal box.... In fact, I'd be willing to bet the box is bonded via conduit & the green wire only attached to the box! [Linked Image] Oh the humanity! [Linked Image]

-Randy
Posted By: Sir Arcsalot Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 06/18/04 04:56 AM
Of course, these audio-grade outlets cannot be mounted in just any old handy box; they require the special audio-grade beryllium-copper-dipped PVC handy boxes at $649.95 each!!!!!

Prob'ly the same folks who sell oceanfront property in Arizona. What people will believe...
Posted By: pauluk Re: $49.95 receptacle! - 06/18/04 10:24 AM
And don't forget that it will never sound right unless you install it with a special audio-grade screwdriver at $129.95.

Better use the $249.95 audio-grade wire-strippers on the cable as well, otherwise you might contaminate the electrons in the copper. [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums