ECN Forum
Posted By: JOAN "Hinged" light poles - 05/11/04 04:22 AM
Looking for manufacturer/distributor of "folding" light poles approx. 20-25 ft. Poles "break" for re-lamping. I'm especially looking for one that hinges higher than the base. Any help would be appreciated.
Posted By: Mean Gene Re: "Hinged" light poles - 05/11/04 03:36 PM
Joan,

Is this what you are looking for . . .

http://www.novapole.com/test/products/noh/noh.htm
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: "Hinged" light poles - 05/11/04 06:15 PM
Interesting concept. However to use this in a major city you'd have to put in some anti-vandalism features in order to ward against light-bulb theft or tampering with the fixture.
Posted By: Big Jim Re: "Hinged" light poles - 05/12/04 05:01 AM
On the ones I've seen similar to these, the winch is removable, you only have one for a bunch of poles, and the the securing method is a large stud and nut. If there were addiional problems, I'm sure they could be padlocked or a security fastener used.
Posted By: JOAN Re: "Hinged" light poles - 05/17/04 08:59 PM
Mean Gene & Big Jim Don't worry..best kind of security available...M-16's
Posted By: FWL_Engineer Re: "Hinged" light poles - 05/17/04 11:15 PM
Interesting concept. However to use this in a major city you'd have to put in some anti-vandalism features in order to ward against light-bulb theft or tampering with the fixture.

Simple solution, you put a 4ft fence around each unit with a warning sign on. Then you use the body of the pole as the it's own protection by electrifying it.

They will only mess with it once [Linked Image]
Posted By: iwire Re: "Hinged" light poles - 05/17/04 11:21 PM
In this area you will find hinged light poles in use on the interstate highways.

These poles are 125' to 150' steel poles, when it is time to bring them down you install a couple of hydraulic cylinders on the pole base and use a hydraulic pump to bring them down.

I have never done this but I did pull over and watch them do this. [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums