ECN Forum
Posted By: rowdyrudy Changes - 05/03/04 10:17 AM
An attorney friend has requested a sworn deposition from NFPA code committees as to the make-up of those submitting proposed changes and those approved. Prelim, unsworn, info seems to indicate 93% are by mfrs. The info is to be used in a civil suit.
Rowdy
Posted By: Ron Re: Changes - 05/03/04 12:23 PM
Interesting question, but I can't imagine how the NFPA or anyone else might categorize the proposer. Many folks that propose changes wear many different hat in the industry.
Posted By: CharlieE Re: Changes - 05/03/04 02:59 PM
Interesting, the NEC has 19 technical committees, the technical correlating committee, and all the support staff. The only thing required is the person's name and address on the proposal. If I were to use my home address and did not put my company name, how would they have a clue as to whom I represented (BTW, I represent EEI)? [Linked Image]
Posted By: DougW Re: Changes - 05/03/04 07:17 PM
There was a stink a few years ago about the "use and destroy" standard for ropes used during rescue being due to rope manufacturers wanting more sales.

Then the International City Managers Association complained that the IAFF membership (FF Union) had "sandbagged" the minimum staffing manpower requirement in NFPA 1710. Talk about BS... the ICMA has articles in their magazaine about cutting project funding and re-directing money to make sure that the managers get paid health care, and how to screw the unions and blue-collar employees in the process.
Posted By: rowdyrudy Re: Changes - 05/03/04 09:39 PM
Reviewed a sampling from the past 10 years. Mfrs ran at about 80%, municipals 10%, remainder varied sources. Could get interesting when the monetary support of NFPA is considered.
Rowdy
© ECN Electrical Forums