ECN Forum
Posted By: caselec Expanding Foam Insulation? - 05/02/04 01:50 AM
Soon we are going to be wiring a new 6000 sq. ft. home and today the owner told me he was going to use expanding foam insulation for the walls and ceilings. I have seen this used on This Old House but have never seen it used in my area other than to fill small holes and cracks. If any of the members here are experienced with this I would like know if there is any thing we need to watch out for when installing the rough. There are approximately 150-200 IC rated recessed lights but I guess since they are IC rated it is ok to completely encapsulate them with the foam. We normally use single gang switch rings for the voice/data/tv but I guess we will need to use 4sq or 4 11/16 boxes or it will be pretty hard stuffing the wires in the wall. [Linked Image] Any advice would be appreciated.

Curt
Posted By: DougW Re: Expanding Foam Insulation? - 05/02/04 04:02 AM
Are your conductors Romex or in raceways? If they're the former, ya better have everything in there prior to the foam-in, and if it's raceways, you might want to "pre plan" any expansion for future potential (ceiling fans and the like), cause there ain't no fishin' in a foamed wall.

(BTW, I'm not sure if you'd have to derate for a complete encapsulation... somebody call Joe Tedesco!)
© ECN Electrical Forums