ECN Forum
Posted By: techgod Yellow Page Rate Ad - 04/14/04 02:26 AM
I just received the new yellow pages for the XXXXXXXX area of XXXXXXX. I've never seen an ad list flat rate pricing before, has anybody else come across this, or get $499 to install a motion light or ceiling fan ($30 light or fan included of course [Linked Image] )?

[Linked Image from techgodaudio.com]
(ad photo edited and reposted)
(location removed)

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 04-14-2004).]
Posted By: hbiss Re: Yellow Page Rate Ad - 04/14/04 04:16 AM
How else would they make enough money to pay for that ad?

-Hal
Posted By: Admin Re: Yellow Page Rate Ad - 04/14/04 04:38 AM
techgod,

No Names Please.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Yellow Page Rate Ad - 04/14/04 09:04 PM
One word. Capitalism!
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Yellow Page Rate Ad - 04/14/04 09:19 PM
deleted

[This message has been edited by CTwireman (edited 04-14-2004).]
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Yellow Page Rate Ad - 04/14/04 09:36 PM
Hey, maybe this means electricians are finally starting to *gasp* raise their prices and actually get paid what they deserve. Plumbers charge a premium rate for their work, so why shouldn't electricians?

It's time this trade started protecting its own like many plumbers do. But, I don't want this to get too heated so I'll leave it at that.

Peter
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Yellow Page Rate Ad - 04/14/04 09:54 PM
"Free nite light with any job"
Posted By: LK Re: Yellow Page Rate Ad - 04/14/04 10:05 PM
It's about time, finally someone asking living wages.
Electrical contracting is not a hobby!

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 04-14-2004).]
Posted By: Electric Ian Re: Yellow Page Rate Ad - 04/15/04 12:05 AM
What do you folks normally charge for installing a ceiling fan with wall switch? (excluding cost of fan)
Posted By: fla sparkey Re: Yellow Page Rate Ad - 04/15/04 12:29 AM
Electric Ian:
Our company charges $60.00 an hour plus material on most of these jobs. The customer is free to furnish the fans, lights, etc...

BTW as far as installing motion lights goes-I hate those things. I would rather put the flood bulb holders on a photoeye than play around and adjust those sensors. Then have to go back when it doesn't work the way the customer wants it to.
Posted By: LK Re: Yellow Page Rate Ad - 04/15/04 12:34 AM
A fan installation is not a rubber stamp price, How high is the ceiling, will it need special support, is additional circuit wiring needed, how long is the assembly time for the fan or fan light, are we moving anything to get access, is the switch circuit existing or are we running a switch.
Our actuals show the average fan install not including the fan, is 280 to 350, so this ad is close, if you include the fan with markup.
If you are in business, and have overhead expenses, the prices in the add may even be a little on the low side for my area.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 04-14-2004).]
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Yellow Page Rate Ad - 04/15/04 04:50 AM
Ahhhh I know these guys! [Linked Image]
I had a partial kitchen power call where "someone" didn't tighten a neutral screw on a counter recept, The connections melted, as did the "nightlight" plugged in the same recept.

As far as prices for my company
Motion sensors (existing wiring) $229.49
Add'l wiring & box $236.89 up to 25'
ceiling fans were the same pretty much unless the ceiling is cathedral style or over 10'.
Then add $60.00 for wiremold (on cathedral beams) &/or pulling that pain in the *^$# 12' ladder off the truck & not dinging up any walls!

-Randy
Posted By: pauluk Re: Yellow Page Rate Ad - 04/15/04 07:55 AM
BTW as far as installing motion lights goes-I hate those things.

Second that. They've become all the rage in England in recent years as well, and I'm not that keen on them.

People are frustrated when they find out that the advertised 30 ft. detection range over a 110-degree angle actually becomes more like 15 ft. over 30 degrees and 10 ft. over 30 degrees either side of that if they're lucky.
Posted By: maintenanceguy Re: Yellow Page Rate Ad - 04/15/04 11:17 AM
I think it's brilliant advertising.

The consumer has no idea what it costs to do work on their homes. Putting the price in print makes it "The Price" firm and believable. No haggeling because they know this contracotr's price up front. And they worry what the other guys might charge (even if it's really going to be less).

And probably most importantly it keeps the price shoppers away that can't afford it or won't part with the money. Less wasted time with people who never buy.
Posted By: Jps1006 Re: Yellow Page Rate Ad - 04/16/04 03:31 AM
Good point maintenanceguy.

With those motion sensors, always let the customer know right away that the price includes installing and wiring only. NO adjusting.

It gets a little more complicated though when you have the wealthy customer that hires out EVERYTHING (even walking the dog) and you need a 24' extension ladder to adjust.

Then make sure the sensor light being installed is of a reputable brand (I like the Journeyman from HD) and that the price to install has enough figured in.
© ECN Electrical Forums