ECN Forum
Posted By: Spark Master Flash Testing for Journeyman, Master - 03/24/04 04:23 PM
How do I get tested for a Journeyman license? Where would I go to do this? How does one go about testing for Master? Is there just one Master's license, or does it break down between residential, commerical, industrial etc.? Is it controlled by the unions, or is it a city, county, state or federal test? In Nevada, the company works under one person's license from what I've heard. What is the AHJ for licensing?

I've heard that you only have to study the NEC, certain chapters. Any tips on which chapters to focus on?

I figure I'll get a better cross-section of information here than just asking the guys I've worked with. Thanks for your help.
Posted By: Roger Re: Testing for Journeyman, Master - 03/24/04 07:35 PM
SMF, try this page for some help.

Roger
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Testing for Journeyman, Master - 03/24/04 07:35 PM
Spark:
If you were here in NJ I could help you, but from your profile, you're in Nevada.

Best guess would be to contact your State Gov; whoever issues the documents, and get an application package. That should answer your questions.

Here in NJ it's NEC and business law (State Regs), and theory for an EC Lic.

Must be a member that's from your state around, how about it??

John
Posted By: DougW Re: Testing for Journeyman, Master - 03/24/04 09:08 PM
Here in IL, we don't have a "state" license. All licenses are issued by AHJ's, usually municipalities.

I don't remember hearing of a county issued license, but there might be one around.

Most municipalities DO offer reciprocity, so that's a plus. Test in North Chicago was 160 questions / 3 hours based on adopted (reference) code ('96 NEC), and city electrical code (local modifications, like restrictions on use of BX, and size of conductors in commercial occupancies)
© ECN Electrical Forums