ECN Forum
Posted By: electure Linemen on TV - 03/04/04 12:35 PM
Last night on "Modern Marvels" - History Channel there was a program about linemen.
It focused mainly on the history of linemen's safety.

Did any of you see it?...S
Posted By: wolfdog Re: Linemen on TV - 03/04/04 02:04 PM
I saw it a couple of weeks ago. Very interesting.
That high voltage work is spooky stuff.
Posted By: BuggabooBren Re: Linemen on TV - 03/04/04 06:13 PM
I watched that last night on the History Channel, too. WOW-eee Kazowee... you wouldn't get me to 'bond on' for love nor money!!! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Linemen on TV - 03/04/04 11:22 PM
Get the jump on your competition with the right PPE… www.hubbellpowersystems.com/powertest/catalog_sections/PDF_hotline/2550_LinemanAccess.pdf [~150kB]
Posted By: electure Re: Linemen on TV - 03/06/04 01:20 PM
Bjarney,
No thanks, amigo.
I'll stick with my deenergized 480, and leave the "bonding on" to you guys with the steel nerves. I'd probably have a nervous fit before I even got close to the conductor.
The program was very interesting.
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Linemen on TV - 03/06/04 04:08 PM
electure—

A buddy of mine, an electrician in NorCal, received a membership card to the “500 Club” when he donned conductive EHV clothing and went up in a bucket with a couple of linemen to clip into a 500kV span. He said it was quite an experience. While they were clipped to the line, on cue the linemen ducked into the bucket, so the corona on him was suddenly very much greater, until they stood up and could ‘share’ the corona discharge. [Even 500kV barehanders have a sense of humor.]

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 03-06-2004).]
© ECN Electrical Forums