ECN Forum
Posted By: Attic Rat ...And then there was one.... - 02/09/04 02:00 PM
.. Well,for those of you who may remember a topic I brought up a few weeks back..titled.."When is enough,..enough?" You may recall I'd been having labor problems,...(and no, I'm not talking about morning sickness... [Linked Image]..but problems with an unruly employee...I've since had a "chat" with him, and things have been better,but now,the "good" employee,that I raved about is in the hospital with a compact fracture to his T5 vertabrae..the unfortunate passenger in a horrific car crash that he and a buddy of his were in...They were "horse-a**ing" around, and the driver,lost control of the car...Now, he's gonna be laid up for at least 2 months...and I'm stuck with "lazy-boy" once again...I felt badly about all this and told the "good" guy that once he's well enough, there'd be a job waiting for him...but in the interim,do I hire someone else to substitute for him, only to sack him when the other guy gets back??? What to do????
AR
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: ...And then there was one.... - 02/09/04 03:16 PM
AR:

Good help is hard to come by......
Keeping an opening for a 'good guy' is an individual decission, as only you know the merits of your men.

I have a 15+ year guy, he was 'out' in the hospital for seven weeks, he came back "a-ok"

If I run into a bind help wise, I have borrowed help from other EC's that were 'quiet', and it worked out for both of us. If the bind gets real tight, I pass work onto those who can handle it to keep the client happy.

As to the 'problem' guy, you may have to bite the bullet with him now, if he can't handle what you expect from him

Good Luck

John
Posted By: SteveMc Re: ...And then there was one.... - 02/09/04 09:11 PM
Why not hire a new guy while good guy is laid up and if he works out keep him and get rid of lazy boy when good guy comes back to work? This will give you a chance to see how new guy works and if the talk with lazy boy worked.
Posted By: jdevlin Re: ...And then there was one.... - 02/09/04 11:47 PM
If you are up front and tell the new guy this is a temp job I see no problem. You may have trouble get someone on temp assignment.
Posted By: Jps1006 Re: ...And then there was one.... - 02/10/04 02:18 AM
I agree with SteveMc. Make it a merit-based decision. If the "temp" guy is no better than "lazy-boy", then don't consider getting rid of him because the temp position is ending, but because he didn't earn his keep. If he works out better than "lazy-boy" then keep the "temp" guy. And if they all work out, pick a leader, leave them on the job by themselves, and go sell more work. (if only it was that easy)
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: ...And then there was one.... - 02/10/04 03:22 AM
..Once again, Thanx to all who replied..as JPS1006 said..It ain't easy... I'll find someone, and as SteveMc,said,..I'll see if the temp works out,..if not no big deal,I'll start over..Maybe I can "clone" the good guy,and have my own crew of automotons, and take over the world.. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
I'll call them "Mini-MikeI,II,III,etc.."
Seriously tho',somethings gotta give...
AR
© ECN Electrical Forums