ECN Forum
Posted By: master66 Inventions - 02/07/04 01:11 AM
I have an idea for something that could be easily added to an existing product that would make it more useful to all of us.

Does anyone know where I should go with it? Or, who I could contact?
Posted By: cpalm1 Re: Inventions - 02/08/04 06:43 AM
DO NOT call one of those "invention companies" that advertise on TV. they will take all your money and your invention will NEVER be made. if it is produced they wil take all of that money too.

for starters go here:
http://www.techtv.com/inventthis/inventingguide/story/0,24330,3515256,00.html
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Inventions - 02/08/04 03:08 PM
Or, you can just tell me [Linked Image]
Posted By: LK Re: Inventions - 02/08/04 07:36 PM
master66,

For now, make a dwg. and in detail describe how it works. Sign and date this paper. Put it in an envelope, seal it, and address it to yourself. Take this to the post office and have the postal date seal stamped on the envelope seal. Then pay the postage, mail it to yourself. Do not open this envelope, you may need to present this to your patent attorney, if you proceed with a patent.

You now have a postal patent.
Posted By: master66 Re: Inventions - 02/08/04 10:15 PM
Thanks guys.

I went to the TechTV link. Very informative.

And, I think I will mail something to myself.

Good suggestions! Thanks again.
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Inventions - 02/09/04 03:19 AM
www.uspto.gov
Posted By: Edward Re: Inventions - 02/14/04 05:44 AM
Mailing somehting to your self is not a sufficient information when it comes to the courts.
Go to www.inventorfraud.com you will find good information.
Do not fall for the T.V advertisings. That promise to take your idea and give a patent # and many dollars.

Investigate the patent attorney very thoroughly. Don't tell anybody about your idea before Documenting it as detailed as possible in a hard bound notebook not a loose leaf.

Good Luck
Posted By: pauluk Re: Inventions - 02/14/04 10:17 AM
DO NOT call one of those "invention companies" that advertise on TV.
On a related note, for anyone who has ideas about writing a book, don't go to those places that advertise they'll publish your book for an upfront set-up fee, all to be refunded out of future sales.

These "vanity publishers" may be fine for someone who just wants a few dozen copies of a book for friends and family with no financial gain in mind, but that's about it.

If no regular publisher will take on your book and pay a reasonable advance, it's because they know the book won't sell enough to cover the costs.
Posted By: LK Re: Inventions - 02/14/04 09:23 PM
Edward,
"Mailing somehting to your self is not a sufficient information when it comes to the courts."
This holds up very well in the courts, post search, and file date, however, you still must proceed with search, and any pending material. As you noted the selection of a
qualified attorney is important, best if you can find one that is expert in the area of your invention.
I have four inventions to my credit, three are in the construction market, one in tooling. The first one was an education all by itself.
One of the products went to UL for testing, and that is a project by itself.
Posted By: master66 Re: Inventions - 02/16/04 12:35 AM
LK,

what was your inventions?

How did you market them or did you just sell the ideas?

Are you making any money from them?
Posted By: wa2ise Re: Inventions - 02/16/04 02:08 AM
Be aware that there are different kinds of patents. What most people think of when say the invention of the light bulb, or the transistor are known as "Utility" patents. There are also "Design" patents, which are about the same as that of a company logo (shape of the Coke bottle). Easy to get, but not worth anything. What you want is the utility patent, hard to get though. And all a patent really does is allow you to sue infringers and get royalty payments.

I have a bunch of patents, but the rights and any royalties belong to the companies I worked for (inventing them was part of my job at those companies). I do get bragging rights though [Linked Image]
Posted By: LK Re: Inventions - 02/16/04 02:35 AM
master66,
My first device was a holding and insertion tool for a solid state comp. By employment agreement the company held all rights. My total reward was $150.00 value to company aprox. $35,000 They had all the money and all the Legal staff.
The second device was a cutting tool, My out of pocket expense was aprox. $3,000 After one year, I received a certified letter stating I had to show the ability to manufacture and market the product or loose the rights. I tried to raise money for the project and failed to get any investors.
The third was an opening device, which costs $1,200 out of pocket expense, and after completed, Had no money left to market. Since that time five other companies are making the product, because they had the ability to produce and market.
The fourth was a core hole fire seal device, again pre employment contract, however this company treated me very well.
Stay with it, inventors are not instant winners.
Posted By: LK Re: Inventions - 02/16/04 02:55 AM
wa2ise,
I guess you know, all the things that can happen while the design is in process, we had an existing product which we improved, so we started the search, well it returned over 200 other like designs. When you think you found that something great, your not alone.
© ECN Electrical Forums