ECN Forum
Posted By: big guy torque on lugs - 02/06/04 01:18 AM
hi nice forum you got here.
Just wondering how many here use a torque wrench on lugs? the reason i ask is because i started a new job and i was cutting in the main switchgear and the foreman of this job asked why i use a torque wrench for.I replied don't you? He said no. I was also asked why i use antishorts and twisted my wires.
go figure
Posted By: jeffrose Re: torque on lugs - 02/06/04 02:10 AM
I do use a torque wrench on large switch gear and gangable meter sockets, I thought that is why the terminals have torque specifications.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: torque on lugs - 02/06/04 03:22 AM
Gidday there guys,
Welcome to the Board!. [Linked Image]
I've always used a Torque Wrench, and especially where the manufacturer states that one should be used.
Not doing so can do nasty things, like void the warranty on the equipment!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Albert Jones Re: torque on lugs - 02/06/04 06:31 AM
I always use a torque wrench when I have a
torque spec.
Posted By: electure Re: torque on lugs - 02/06/04 12:19 PM
I want to second Trumpy's welcome!

I have 3 different torque wrenches, and use all of them, afterwards making a slash mark with a sharpy (felt pen) so I make sure not to miss any. You'll find torque specs on nearly all terminations, from big switchgear down to the little branch breakers.
To not torque these termination is, I believe, a violation of NEC 110.3(B) "Installation and Use Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling"
Torque specs are also available from the manufacturers of mechanical lugs (Ilsco, Burndy, etc)...S
Posted By: Scott35 Re: torque on lugs - 02/06/04 09:54 PM
Use Torque Wrench often. Use it for setting Lugs to torque specs.

Also pretwist my splices before applying the wirenut, and have never considered landing MC cable without an Anti-Short bushing (AKA Red Devil).

This must make me a wierd-o?!?!?! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Scott35
Posted By: big guy Re: torque on lugs - 02/06/04 10:46 PM
That makes two of us scott! maybe he is afraid that i will make him look bad i guess.
On my jobs i do things by the N.E.C and twisting wires and using anti-shorts are just commen sence.
Posted By: seattleman Re: torque on lugs - 02/08/04 08:31 PM
ihave a related question on this thread.

When torqing down on a lug. (whether a disco lug, ground lug or any old lug). I've seen charts which show torque setting based on the size allen and other charts based on the wire size terminating to the lug. Which do you use?

For example 3/8 allen = 32 ft lbs
or 500kcmil = 24 ft lbs
Posted By: big guy Re: torque on lugs - 02/09/04 12:14 AM
i have never seen both for the same lug.
but i have seen it this way,one for the main lugs and a seperate for the grounded and gounding lugs like you said
© ECN Electrical Forums