ECN Forum
Posted By: BarBeQue Load Center Location - 01/31/04 04:41 AM
Howdy folks. I have a friend that wants me to upgrade his 60 amp service to a norman 200 amp. His current box is located on the side of his house. I said this is a problem, so he asks me if I can put it in his screened in back porch. ummmmm???? I told him i'd have to find out.
Posted By: sparky Re: Load Center Location - 01/31/04 01:49 PM
it's cheaper to install a panel close to the original location , simply in terms of junction boxes.

but if you need to turn the location inside out (assuming it's in a noncompliant 110.26 place now) go with a nema 3R setup...

~S~
Posted By: BarBeQue Re: Load Center Location - 01/31/04 11:42 PM
What is a Nema 3R setup? Directly on the other side of the wall is his living room and he doesnt want it placed in there. Other than on his screened in back porch, he would like to have it on in his closet. But the back porch would be an easier move. Is it legal?
Posted By: earlydean Re: Load Center Location - 02/01/04 01:36 AM
NEMA 3R is raintight
It would be OK in the screened porch, so long as nothing would be stored in front of the panel. In the closet is usually not OK, unless the closet is dedicated electrical, or huge. There must be a 36" deep x 30" wide area in front of the panel, kept clear at all times for access. 110.26
Best option, IMHO is to buy the raintight panel.
Earl
Posted By: electure Re: Load Center Location - 02/01/04 02:49 AM
If it's a clothes closet, it's never OK to put a panel in it: 240.24(D)
"Not in Vicinity of Easily Ignitible Material
Overcurrent device shall not be located in the vicinity of easily ignitible material, such as in clothes closets"
(Why is it a problem on the side of the house?)...S

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 01-31-2004).]
Posted By: wewire2 Re: Load Center Location - 02/01/04 07:42 AM
If it is a meter panel, the location has to be approved by the serving utility.
© ECN Electrical Forums