ECN Forum
Posted By: rmiell Wind Farm link with photos - 01/30/04 10:34 PM
Visit this site to look at photos of an ongoing wind farm project close to Lamar, Colorado (about 60 miles east of my town, La Junta)

http://www.ci.lamar.co.us/lightpower/index.html

Rick Miell
Posted By: sparky Re: Wind Farm link with photos - 01/30/04 11:28 PM
Our new Govenor is supposively hot on wind farming here. We just need to get over the NIMBY thing, as well as those nuke plant workers whinning about thier jobs being 'strewn into the wind' ...

~S~
Posted By: Mean Gene Re: Wind Farm link with photos - 01/30/04 11:44 PM
That was truly fascinating!

I never realized they were that big.
Posted By: electure Re: Wind Farm link with photos - 01/31/04 03:28 AM
Rick, Thanks. that's really neat.

I never realized they were that big

We've got a couple of windfarms out here in our CA desert.
The one at Whitewater always looked big, until I drove past and saw a guy in a bucket truck working on one of the props. Man, they aren't just big, they're enormous! He looked like an ant, and I think the one's in Rick's link are even bigger.
They offer tours, and I'd sure love to take one, but am always in such a big hurry that I never have had a chance...someday.

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 01-30-2004).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Wind Farm link with photos - 01/31/04 09:01 AM
Hi Rick!. [Linked Image]
Thanks for the pics mate!.
Just going on the comments with the photo's.
The HV lines where buried at 5 foot depth in 5 inch Conduit, what sort of conduit would have been used for this type of installation, Rick?.
Would there have been Signal strip (Cable Marker Tape) at half trench depth?.
Sorry just toying with you mate!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Dallas Re: Wind Farm link with photos - 02/20/04 06:08 AM
Rick;

I tried e-mailing you a couple of weeks back, but got no reply. I have a friend near you who you might have run across.

Would you be willing to e-mail me to answer a question or two?

Dallas
Posted By: pauluk Re: Wind Farm link with photos - 02/20/04 10:50 AM
Wind power has been taking off over here in recent years as well. There are already turbines at Somerton/Winterton, about 10 miles down the coast from me, and there are plans afoot to construct an offshore wind farm.

Here's a link to some brief info about wind turbines in my county (Norfolk):
http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/~mikes/norfolk/wind/
Posted By: u2slow Re: Wind Farm link with photos - 02/21/04 05:34 AM
I noticed there was a link to Vestas on that page as well. Here's link to their project on the Horn's Reef project on the North Sea (with video clips).
http://www.vestas.com/offshore/offshore_uk.htm
Posted By: classicsat Re: Wind Farm link with photos - 02/21/04 09:00 PM
Wind is growing here too (off the eastern shore of Lake Huron). I know of at least three proposed or existing wind farms in the area.
And, AFAIK, the Nuke unions aren't complaining.
As a matter of fact, I think one of the is ran by the same company managing the Nuke site, or at least owned by the power generating authority.
© ECN Electrical Forums