ECN Forum
Posted By: ComputerWizKid Flourescent Socket - 01/30/04 09:50 AM
I making a custom fixture and I have a 13W PL bulb and a ballast for it. I went to home depot and they did not know what I was talking about where can I get a socket for this lamp?

Image of lamp it has those bumps on both sides

[Linked Image from upload.joako.com]

Pic of ballast took from a broken car service lamp (Lense and plastic case was broken)

My custom fixture is to retro fit my Hood of my Fresh water fish tank (don't worry it will be covered with glass) with 2 of these ballasts and bulbs as I have 2. and for a brighter and better colorerd light. The old bulb is a F15T8
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Flourescent Socket - 01/30/04 12:23 PM
Big Orange + other DIY organizations will never stock these Lamp Sockets - nor will the Staff know what they are (due to infamiliarity with these fixtures).

All CFLs I have seen at these places are Lamp/Ballast incorporated Assemblages with Medium Base sockets - intended to be used in lieu of an Incandescent Lamp -type A, R or PAR.

Look for these items at Commercial Lighting suppliers and Wholesale Houses.
They come in the Luminaires intended for use with the type of CFL shown (normally recessed cans).
Ballast is separate, and usually is an F-Can configuration.

What are you planning to do with this Lamp? Would another type Lamp be easier and safer?

Scott35
Posted By: ComputerWizKid Re: Flourescent Socket - 01/30/04 12:50 PM
For my fish tank
My custom fixture is to retro fit my Hood of my Fresh water fish tank (don't worry it will be covered with glass) with 2 of these ballasts and bulbs. and for a brighter and better colorerd light. The old bulb is a F15T8
Posted By: fla sparkey Re: Flourescent Socket - 01/31/04 12:55 AM
Wizkid:
I have two sockets, complete with xformer and 9 watt CFL lamps sitting on the shelf in my garage. The lamp you have will fit in the same socket. Drop me an email and I'll send them to you. I don't have any use for them anyway.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Flourescent Socket - 01/31/04 04:35 AM
Since FLA-Sparky is offering one of these things to you, my statement is moot but if you needed one you could always scrap one out of a cheap lamp.

I had one of those sockets....took it out of a lamp that used that type of bulb but I believe I pitched it when I was cleaning out my desk drawers...

I also think lighting supply stores (there's a bunch of them in Manhattan if you're able to easily take the Metro-North to New York) have them. I know these stores sell the lampholders for those quartz halogen lamps.....
© ECN Electrical Forums