ECN Forum
Posted By: mostwanted other interests - 01/30/04 02:17 AM
Just wondering what other interest we have out there. I have an expensive diesel hotrodding hobby. I also like cooking, football, and home improvement.

I frequent these other forums too:

www.dieseltruckresource.com
www.doityourself.com

[This message has been edited by mostwanted (edited 01-29-2004).]
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: other interests - 01/30/04 02:31 AM
Spring, summer and fall, I like spending as much time on my boat as possible. Works out to Sat/Sun usually, and whatever extended weekends I can squeeze.

NHL Hockey, relaxing, and the computer join the list.

Also, I enjoy the time I spend teaching at the County Vo-Tech School, usually 1 night a week, for 2-1/2 hrs.

John
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: other interests - 01/30/04 02:36 AM
I enjoy the martial arts, and I still try to brew a few gallons of beer once in a while. I like hockey (rangers) and football (broncos and Utah Utes) as well.
Posted By: Jugum Re: other interests - 01/30/04 02:42 AM
Metal detecting,Crappie fishing,Razorback Football.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: other interests - 01/30/04 02:54 AM
Ryan:
If you like "hockey".....why did you type 'rangers'?????? You can't mean the NY Rangers. You must mean the Utah Rangers???

I have tickets for Devils/Rangers 2/11/2004

John
Posted By: Anonymous Re: other interests - 01/30/04 03:52 AM
Hey MW I have diesel in my blood too! Navistar and MB tho, sorry no Dodge, altho I like the Cummins I'm not too fond of the rest of the truck. Try these sites: www.thedieselstop.com & www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/index.php3

[This message has been edited by Brian Winkle (edited 01-29-2004).]
Posted By: George Corron Re: other interests - 01/30/04 04:49 AM
OK, this has turned UGLY. www.turbodieselregister.com

Yup, another one. Got hooked on coal oil working on gensets, and real excited when I first saw the specs on that hussy. My brother - a real bow tie fan - bought a 97 2500 4wd. I knew that one day he would get tired of it...... to my benefit.

See, I'm too damned cheap to spend a lot on transportation - another hobby [Linked Image]

He sold it to me 2 years ago. SUPER easy to BOMB, but I have avoided the temptation. Luvs my diesels.

Ham Radio - AF4JH - that's extra heavy thank you, I'm also a VE doing the code portion of the exam monthly.

Been teaching 4th year apprentices, Code, and Grounding and bonding for over 20 years.

I also live in a 75 year old house, you could say it's a hobby...... now if I just knew someone who could rewire it. [Linked Image]

Sorry, for those of you who are not diesel aficianados - That's a Dodge 12 valve (last of the mechanicals) Cummins diesel (guess which gensets are my favorite) 3/4 ton - in my case all black..... Good Lord what the snow has done to my truck lately. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by George Corron (edited 01-29-2004).]
Posted By: pauluk Re: other interests - 01/30/04 11:56 AM
Apart from everything related to electrics and electronics, I'm also an avid record collector, and have boxes full of LPs, 45s, and 78s, mostly 1940s/50s/60s.

In fact I'm really a fan of all things of that era, including old TV shows and movies, vintage cars, etc. (By the way, maybe I should point out that I wasn't born until 1966 [Linked Image])

I love spending time with kids and teaching them about things, especially if it involves any of the above, though I'm still single and don't have any children of my own yet.

My regular contacts will also know that I love cats, and I've almost a;ways had them around since I was very young. (My cat is draped on a shelf over the monitor as I type, getting all the warm air rising onto him! [Linked Image])
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: other interests - 01/30/04 02:27 PM
John: Yeah...I mean the NY Rangers...You know, the place all-stars go when they want their career to come to a screeching halt!

The Devils/Rangers game would be fun...I keep thinking of the Sienfeld episode when they go that game and the guy has his face painted like a devil, taunting Mark Messier!
Posted By: C-H Re: other interests - 01/30/04 05:14 PM
SUPER easy to BOMB

George, now the FBI will have to read through all ECN messages this year... [Linked Image]
Posted By: mostwanted Re: other interests - 02/01/04 04:25 AM
it's good to see some fellow diesel bombers around here. What are you guys running? I have a 97 12valve. Plate slid forward, strait pipes, 3k Governor spring kit, and a custom built auto transmission. I have thought taking some diesel mechanics classes and learn to work on generators
Posted By: walrus Re: other interests - 02/01/04 01:39 PM
Wow
A bunch of hockey fans, me I like D1 college hockey, have season tickets to UMaine and freguent www.USCHO.com. If you guys ever get a chance to see a good D1 team, you'll find it hard to watch the NHL.

Anyone going to see Miracle?? , the movie on the 1980 US gold medal hockey team. Greatest sporting event in my lifetime [Linked Image]
Posted By: Tom Re: other interests - 02/01/04 02:04 PM
My main hobby is Bullseye Pistol competition, followed by shooting pool (9 ball & 1 pocket), shooting the bull, woodworking & the appreciation of fine imported beers (such as anything brewed on this planet).

I didn't realize that there were so many hockey fans on this board. I grew up in Detroit, so I always have a place in my heart for the Red Wings. Currently, the team nearest to where I live is the Penguins & even though they aren't very good, I still watch them since I can get all their games on cable.

Keep your sticks on the ice.

Tom
Posted By: Speedy Petey Re: other interests - 02/01/04 02:40 PM
Drag racing and fishing mainly.
I have a '70 Nova I race in the non-electronics class. Electronics are too expensive and take the much of the driver out of the equation.
I love to fish! I live a minute from the upper Hudson River and the fishing is terrific. Me and my little boat are a terror!
I also like to work on and around the house. Like most of us I have much experience in many fields and love to "fix" stuff. I built a screened in porch with the provision to enclose it in a few years. Fully insulated floor and knee walls. Windows will be around $8000 so they will have to wait.
Aside from the several other things I am into like camping/hiking & model trains, there is always this stupid computer I am semi-addicted to!

Oh, and I also still play ice hockey.

[This message has been edited by Speedy Petey (edited 02-01-2004).]
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: other interests - 02/01/04 03:44 PM
... I love playing darts..I used to throw in tournaments,..now its just for fun..
Bowling is another fun past time..Playstation 2, is my escape nowadays..
One day I'll own a Harley again...had to get rid of the old one..at my ex-wifes request.. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
... I'm also a musician,and was in a number of area rock bands..I play keyboards and sing...No time for that anymore either...
Oh well....
AR
Posted By: mvpmaintman Re: other interests - 02/02/04 02:59 AM
Being from the Land of Oz, I like fishing, golf and oddly enough Hockey. I have been to a couple of Topeka Scarecrows games and in the NHL I like the BlackHawks, used to listen to the game on WSL.

I have a 1972 VW Super Beetle that is one of my favorite projects as is my 40 year old house.
Posted By: elektrikguy Re: other interests - 02/02/04 04:18 AM
Born and raised in Winnipeg, I have hockey in my blood. I now live in Atlanta and play hockey 1-2 times a week. I am a Thrashers fan but will switch back to being a Jets fan when they get a team back in the next few years.
Posted By: mbhydro Re: other interests - 02/02/04 07:39 PM
Hey elektrikguy, given the choice I would rather go watch the CFL (Blue Bombers) or baseball (Winnipeg Goldyeys) than to see hockey. Just don't like getting into a cold car after a game.

Seeing your not in Winnipeg you may be interested in seeing the new arena going up.

There is a 24 hour web cam showing the view from the top floor of the building I work out of, http://mpi.mb.ca/cam/cam.html

Not a whole lot of outside work last week with it being -40 plus a wind chill.

To see the inside plans and a web cam from another view go to the new arena web page: http://www.truenorthproject.mb.ca/
Posted By: classicsat Re: other interests - 02/03/04 08:38 PM
Satellite TV and Computers.
Posted By: swedejr Re: other interests - 02/03/04 11:18 PM
I love hunting, fishing and golf for outdoor activities, and woodworking keeps me busy in the winter.
Posted By: aninspect Re: other interests - 02/04/04 12:15 AM
In this job, the only hobby you need is a good sense of humor! [Linked Image]

I also like hunting, camping, hiking, water skiing, automechanics, computers, zoos, woodworking, PS2 games, movies (action, adventure, sci fi, drama), the beach (the boardwalk included), swimming, snowmobiles adn remodeling.

Sometimes I find it difficult to keep up with all those likes! [Linked Image]
Posted By: jeffrose Re: other interests - 02/07/04 11:00 PM
Patriots football yeah baby!

also cabinet making, furniture building, I love wood. Not to mention talking to you folks.
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: other interests - 02/07/04 11:18 PM
Hiking/camping/backpacking, ham radio, restoring antique electronics, collector of vacuum tubes.
© ECN Electrical Forums