ECN Forum
Posted By: Merlin fuel pump confusion - 01/29/04 02:25 AM
I was recently called to the home of a friend/customer. He has a (farm fuel) tank w/ an electric pump. Every time he touches the hose while pumping fuel it shocks him. Only while fuel is running through the hose. The unit is properly grounded and wired correctly. He also replaced the pump, still no resolution. Is this static or what? That is my only answer.
Posted By: golf junkie Re: fuel pump confusion - 01/29/04 04:37 AM
Hi Merlin,

The only time I've seen this it was a bad ground. I know that's not much help to you, but hope you can solve this. Sparks and gasoline just don't go well together.

It does sound like static charge to me. Is it a proper fuel hose?

GJ
Posted By: stamcon Re: fuel pump confusion - 01/29/04 05:01 AM
Merlin, the hose should have a static drain wire in it.

steve
Posted By: chi spark Re: fuel pump confusion - 01/29/04 10:36 PM
Steve is correct,it is static from fluid flow. If it is a listed fuel delivery hose, there should be a drain for grounding. We used to have this problem when people would use co2 cans from soda fountain to blow out coils and drains. They would get a mighty shock, but still keep working-Ouch!-10 seconds later-Ouch! like a hot potato game
Posted By: Merlin Re: fuel pump confusion - 02/12/04 01:22 AM
Thanks to all that responded. We found it to be static. He replaced the fuel delivery hose with a static wire hose and has had no problems since.

© ECN Electrical Forums