ECN Forum
Posted By: ThinkGood Snow, What's New? - 01/27/04 05:56 PM
Bill, are you under the blob somewhere?

[Linked Image from s91748743.onlinehome.us]

This is the coldest winter I've experienced in a while. We got a big snow last year towards the end of the season, but so far we're getting significant storms regularly.

(I'm in Northern NJ)

P. S. I was visiting relatives in Milwaukee, WI, last week. COLD!!! Wind chills were well into the negatives. It did "warm up" to about 5 degrees F, at one point...

[This message has been edited by ThinkGood (edited 01-27-2004).]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Snow, What's New? - 01/27/04 06:22 PM
TG,

I'm right in the middle of the Island.

Not a flake here yet though.

Bill
Posted By: George Corron Re: Snow, What's New? - 01/27/04 06:58 PM
NICE......... ya bums!!!!

It hasn't been above 27 here for a over a week, we got 7" of snow, and then the real surprise, 1/4" of glaze ice over it today.... oh yeah, were supposed to get 1-3" of more snow tonight over the ice........ HOW'S your commute??????
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Snow, What's New? - 01/27/04 08:05 PM
Well...considering that I live on the northern tip of of Manhattan and work at the southern tip, my commute is an underground train ride all the way (IND 8-th Ave. line) down the length of the island...it's pretty easy.

I walk two blocks up hill to get to the train from home and two and a-half blocks from the train to my job.

So...the snow is no excuse for me not showing up at work. DARNN!! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 01-27-2004).]
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: Snow, What's New? - 01/27/04 09:10 PM
I love the snow, could do without temps below 25. I have 4 wheel drive, but that has not stopped any of those terrible drivers from crashing into me [Linked Image]
I am sick, because I love to shovel snow, my neighbors love it though!

Pierre
Posted By: Jps1006 Re: Snow, What's New? - 01/27/04 09:22 PM
"I walk two blocks up hill to get to the train from home and two and a-half blocks from the train to my job."

Is that uphill both ways?
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Snow, What's New? - 01/27/04 10:46 PM
Salt Lake hasn't seen a day above freezing for over a month now. [Linked Image]
Posted By: golf junkie Re: Snow, What's New? - 01/27/04 11:40 PM
10" here in central Nebraska.
The wind blew all nite so we have some real nice drifts out in the country.

Closest thing we've had to a real blizzard in quite a few years.

GJ
Posted By: earlydean Re: Snow, What's New? - 01/28/04 12:50 AM
Ryan,
I remember those long cold winters. Week after week of frozen fog/smog in the valley. No sunshine. Hoarfrost on all the buildings and tree limbs. Soooooo depressing. Glad I moved East. So what if we're expecting 16 inches tomorrow.

Earl
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Snow, What's New? - 01/28/04 02:32 AM
Earl: Your recollection of Salt Lake/Draper city is a very good one.

Beyond not having temperatures above freezing, the fog/smog has been worse this year than anyone I know can remember it. I took pictures from Draper (remember Corner Canyon?) at about 5000', and looking down you couldn't tell if was clouds or ocean or what...it snowed the other the other day to warm things up, and we literally saw the sun for the first time in over a month [Linked Image]

Its been a bad one here.
Posted By: nesparky Re: Snow, What's New? - 01/28/04 05:22 AM
Just got done shovelling out the drive again. We got 14.5" of snow in Omaha Ne. Anybody that wants this stuff can have it.

Oh yea just as I got done along comes the city's snowplow and fills in drive again. [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Snow, What's New? - 01/28/04 12:05 PM
10" here in central Nebraska.
The wind blew all nite so we have some real nice drifts out in the country.
I have images of the Platte River frozen over etched into my mind, along with plenty of icy pictures of Kearney and Minden to remind me of the Nebraska winter!

The forecasters here in England predicted cold arctic winds and heavy snowfall moving in by today. It was dull, windy, and a light sleety snow yesterday for a while, but here on the east coast it's actually blue skies and sunshine at the moment (midday), temperature only about the mid-30s though.

Looks like the Met. Office got it wrong again, at least for this area. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image from weather.yahoo.com]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 01-28-2004).]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Snow, What's New? - 01/28/04 04:51 PM
We got about 10 inches last nite.

Luckily it was cold out so this snow isn't too heavy, but it is getting heavier as the day warms up (27F right now)

Bill
Posted By: earlydean Re: Snow, What's New? - 01/28/04 04:55 PM
The predicted 16 inches turned out to be only 10 at my house. We were allowed to start at 10 AM today, got to work (58 miles) and there was only 3 inches. I got rooked! Oh, well back to the daily grind. (regular or de-cafe?)

Earl

PS Ryan, One of the reasons I left Utah was the god-awful winters. I would have to hang out at the ski resorts for a little sunshine (not to mention the snow bunnies).
Posted By: Roger Re: Snow, What's New? - 01/28/04 04:56 PM
Bill, just got back from going to get lunch, it's 22 downtown Asheville.

Roger
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: Snow, What's New? - 01/29/04 04:11 AM
..We got a good 10-12" in Bergen Co. NJ,last nite....I HATE SNOW!!!!! The only part I like about it is looking at it..from a nice warm room in my house...
AR
Posted By: pauluk Re: Snow, What's New? - 01/29/04 08:51 AM
I take back my previous comment! The snow started about 2 p.m. yesterday and has continued overnight.

Compared to the typical U.S. snow it's nothing, but as usual a couple of inches here and the country has ground to a halt.
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Snow, What's New? - 01/29/04 11:45 AM
Pauluk
[A] couple of inches here and the country has ground to a halt.

The city in which I reside (Passaic) has snow-removal and salting pretty much down to a science.

I saw something yesterday when I was in CLifton that caught my eye. There were 5 trucks in a "plow train" clearing snow. A few of them looked like cement trucks with plows mounted on them. Were they really salt trucks? The company name was "Simone" and there was nothing on them about cement. Some of these rigs looked like they could clear cars out of the way, let alone snow.
Posted By: earlydean Re: Snow, What's New? - 01/29/04 01:45 PM
You should try breaking down on the Tappan-Zee in NYC. They will push you and your car (not tow) off the bridge into a break down area. Where your totally wrecked car can be hauled away in pieces.

They play rough in NYC

Earl
Posted By: bill woods Re: Snow, What's New? - 01/29/04 03:09 PM
Well guys there are some great stories of snow and cold here but...... I was loading up my manlift onto my trailer. My hold down pins snapped off. Luckily I was doing a service call at a welding shop. They have a weather station on site.
-35c. Windchill of -47c. Then there was the gusts of wind to deal with. I love the outdoors!!! Sorry I don't know the farenheit numbers. Pretty cold boys, pretty cold. Going home for a hot chocolate.
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Snow, What's New? - 01/29/04 03:51 PM
-31F and -53F!!!!

That sounds deadly...

[This message has been edited by ThinkGood (edited 01-29-2004).]
© ECN Electrical Forums