ECN Forum
Posted By: Edward CAT 5 voltage rating? - 01/27/04 02:55 PM
I would like to use CAT 5 cable for lowvoltage (24) volt control wiring.
I am planning to control 3Amp contact rating relays to operate window shutters. And am planning on using small N/O switches to control the relays.

Is the rating of the CAT 5 cable higher than 24 Volts?

Any other suggestions?

Edward
Posted By: C-H Re: CAT 5 voltage rating? - 01/27/04 04:44 PM
Check the cable. I had a look at some of the patchcords in the office: 300V (sic!)

The other rating I commonly find on computer cables is 30V. I think it would be technically impossible to manufacture a cable that could not handle this.
Posted By: hbiss Re: CAT 5 voltage rating? - 01/27/04 10:47 PM
CAT5 as well as any of the other CAT cables are CL2 listed and as such are 150V. You will be fine.
Posted By: BrianSparky Re: CAT 5 voltage rating? - 01/28/04 02:18 AM
Just as a suggestion...
try using 18 gauge control wire.
phone wire is only about 22 gauge.
Posted By: golf junkie Re: CAT 5 voltage rating? - 01/28/04 02:42 AM
I second Brian's suggestion for 18awg. Volt drop becomes an issue very quickly when you are starting with low voltage.

GJ
Posted By: hbiss Re: CAT 5 voltage rating? - 01/28/04 05:15 AM
That was my first thought also but after rereading the question I think I understood that the 24ga wire will operate the coils of the relays through the switches. Not much current there so voltage drop shouldn't be a problem. The 3A current rating is for the relay contacts, not the current through the control wire.
Posted By: Edward Re: CAT 5 voltage rating? - 01/28/04 06:46 AM
Thanks for the reply.

The contact rating is 3 amps.

The voltage problem should not be a problem. I just need to verify that using a CAT 5 cable is an acceptable method in this application which sounds like it is. And i am not violating NEC.

Edward
Posted By: ComputerWizKid Re: CAT 5 voltage rating? - 01/29/04 04:18 AM
Last time I checked 5 mins ago cat 5E is 26 Guage Might want to get 20 or 18 Guage wire
Posted By: Edward Re: CAT 5 voltage rating? - 01/29/04 04:32 AM
It is 24AWG. I think i will use thermostat wire 18AWG.

Edward
Posted By: ComputerWizKid Re: CAT 5 voltage rating? - 01/29/04 04:52 AM
The stuff I have is 26 AWG it came with my cable modem. but the newer stuff is 24 Guage
Posted By: hbiss Re: CAT 5 voltage rating? - 01/29/04 05:09 AM
Might wanna check that again ComputerWizKid.

Probably not too many of you would know or remember back before "electronic" telephone systems when all multiline systems were electro- mechanical. A typical 1A2 system (still around today) used relays, pushbuttons and 10 volt incandescent lamps to illuminate the line buttons on each extension. All this was interconnected with sometimes hundreds of feet of the same old 24ga paired wiring we use today. CAT 5 is no different, just twisted tighter.

Edward, if you want to use CAT 5 for your installation go ahead. CAT 5 is used for a lot of stuff today besides network wiring so you wouldn't be the first to use it for something else.
Posted By: electure Re: CAT 5 voltage rating? - 01/29/04 12:16 PM
You might be surprised to find out how "old" many of us are.
I'm working on a remodel now that has 25 (min) pair cables installed from the old phone board to each and every office, complete with the 66 blocks and amphenol plugs in each office. Installed in the mid '70s. Real pain to remove.
I've still got an original phone cable here at the house that's 18AWG.

Computerwiz, Are you perhaps looking at a patch cord?? All the 5E cable I see is 24 AWG.
© ECN Electrical Forums