ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Free Online Home Inspector Examination - 01/19/04 10:24 PM
Heavy on electrical questions!
http://www.nachi.org/aboutexam.htm

I took this test last night and PASSED!
Posted By: Wirenuttt Re: Free Online Home Inspector Examination - 01/20/04 01:23 AM
Hey Joe;

I just took the test and passed myself. Does this test have any significance to it? Or is it more for evaluation?

~Andy
Andy:

A passing grade is required to be able to join their association. I found some of the questions much too easy, and others not well written.

I liked the format and time limit and will look into it for my own use. We could have some fun seeing who could get the highest score.

On another note, I prefer not to criticize others behind their backs, as someone already did!

If anyone has any negative comments about this test they should be directed to the source!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Free Online Home Inspector Examination - 01/20/04 03:33 AM
I got a 90
Posted By: Redsy Re: Free Online Home Inspector Examination - 01/20/04 12:31 PM
Uh-oh...

Although I did well on the test, it seems that 10% of my wrong answers were "electrical related"
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Free Online Home Inspector Examination - 01/20/04 03:26 PM
Redsy: same here. shocked As Joe said though, some of the questions are poorly written.
Posted By: Thom Re: Free Online Home Inspector Examination - 01/20/04 06:04 PM
I got a 90 also. Wonder about that. You are right, some questions are pretty vague.
Posted By: Fred Re: Free Online Home Inspector Examination - 01/21/04 03:58 PM
Quote from Joe:
"On another note, I prefer not to criticize others behind their backs, as someone already did!"

Who criticized someone behind their back? I don't see such a post in this thread.
Posted By: Mean Gene Re: Free Online Home Inspector Examination - 01/21/04 04:57 PM
One of the moderators took it out.
Posted By: txsparky Re: Free Online Home Inspector Examination - 01/21/04 05:37 PM
I got an 84. They said that I was weak on the exterior portion. [Linked Image]
Maybe I should have taken more time ( I had 34 minutes left on test)

Thanks for the link Joe.
Donnie
Posted By: Admin Re: Free Online Home Inspector Examination - 01/21/04 05:37 PM
One of the moderators took it out.
Gene,

To the best of my knowledge nothing was removed here.
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Free Online Home Inspector Examination - 01/21/04 05:58 PM
The innapropriate remark was made on another site. It was rightly deleted.
i failed twice,what the hell i,m an electrician not a jack oif all trades.
96%

And my weakness in "interior" whatever that means.

For only $300.00 I can be a "certified" home inspector.
Posted By: walrus Re: Free Online Home Inspector Examination - 01/21/04 11:46 PM
Took me 22 minutes and I got an 84, what a joke. Guess I don't need a home inspector [Linked Image]
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: Free Online Home Inspector Examination - 01/22/04 12:12 AM
Same results as txsparky. 84%, and weak on "exterior".
Posted By: kyme Re: Free Online Home Inspector Examination - 01/22/04 01:23 AM
It took me 20 minutes, got mid 80's. Seems
i am dumb when it comes to exterior.
Posted By: RickG Re: Free Online Home Inspector Examination - 01/22/04 03:32 AM
Well, I got a 92 in 39 minutes. I guess I am GENERALly weak, (20%).

OK Ryan, how did you do?

Rick
Posted By: wolfdog Re: Free Online Home Inspector Examination - 01/22/04 04:00 AM
Whooeeeee!

I scored an 89 in 25 minutes.

Man I'm moving into the big bucks world of home inspection.

Exterior was my weak point.

[This message has been edited by wolfdog (edited 01-21-2004).]
If anybody knows of an on-line test for "Nuclear Engineer", we could all move into the big bucks.
Posted By: electure Re: Free Online Home Inspector Examination - 01/22/04 12:55 PM
88 in 18 minutes.
I'd put this test in the same categorie as a "do your own brain surgery/lobotomy" test..S
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Free Online Home Inspector Examination - 01/22/04 02:27 PM
OK Ryan, how did you do?

I got mid eighties in 18 minutes.

[This message has been edited by Ryan_J (edited 01-22-2004).]
Posted By: Mean Gene Re: Free Online Home Inspector Examination - 01/22/04 05:11 PM
I got a 90 in 33 minutes, and I'm not in any of the trades! [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
This was taken from http://www.nachi.org/aboutexam.htm

I heard that NACHI's Online Inspector Examination is too easy. Is this true?
No. The exam is difficult for some and easy for others. Only about 1/2 the people who take the exam for the first time pass. The average grade is failing. You need a score of 75 to pass. NACHI gathers national statistics about each question on the exam. These statistics are automatically updated every time someone takes the exam. Statistics concerning level of difficulty are displayed for each question as you take the exam. Some of the national statistics about the exam, including pass/fail rates, are available on our web site. Critics must recognize that this exam is NACHI's entrance exam. Passing the exam is required to join NACHI. Other associations have no entrance requirements. Pets and blind men can and have joined other national associations.

I heard that NACHI's Online Inspector Examination is too difficult. Is this true?

No. The exam is difficult for some and easy for others. A general understanding of residential construction and components is helpful. Most exam takers who have a background in construction are able to pass on the first attempt even though they have no inspection experience. Remember, if you fail we can use your exam results to help determine what you need to study. NACHI gathers national statistics about each question on the exam. These statistics are automatically updated every time someone takes the exam. Statistics concerning level of difficulty are displayed for each question as you take the exam. Some of the national statistics about the exam, including pass/fail rates, are available on our web site.

I understand that the exam contains too many questions about wiring and electricity. Why?

It is true that the exam contains extra questions about wiring and electricity. Although wiring and electricity is only a small part of a home inspection, it is one of the more important parts. This is because electrical problems, unlike plumbing for example, can destroy property and kill people.

Also, passing this exam does not get you a membership: http://www.nachi.org/membership.htm
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Free Online Home Inspector Examination - 01/23/04 07:59 AM
Joe,
Thanks for the link, mate!. [Linked Image]
I have to be honest and say that on my one attempt at it, I got 66.
Will go back and try again though.
I must agree that the questions could be a bit more precise as to what they are asking.
All in all though, I really enjoyed taking the test. [Linked Image]
Posted By: DUBLIN Re: Free Online Home Inspector Examination - 01/28/04 03:01 AM
16 minutes 81 percent, guess I could have done better but that would have made me think about each answer too long.
Posted By: aninspect Re: Free Online Home Inspector Examination - 01/30/04 01:01 PM
I am impressed with many of the grades that many here have managed to achieve taking our entrance exam.

Maybe I could clarify the test a little further. Our exam is only a test of basic konwledge in our field. The test is not meant to be so difficult that you would have to spend the next year of your life studying just in order to get a passing grade.

Recently, a code enforcement official took our test and failed. He studied for a few weeks then came back and passed.

While many that know the material consider the test easy, there are many that don't know the material. The test is only easy if you know the answers, many don't. If you took the test, you probably noticed at the end it told you how well you did in each area, giving your score as a percentage which is simply meant to let the "taker" know which area(s) that they should study in order to improve.

As an association we are always discussing ways to improve the exam, so if you have any comments please pass them along, we would be more than happy to hear your thoughts.

Our thanks goes out to Joe T and the rest of you for your help.
Posted By: Jim M Re: Free Online Home Inspector Examination - 01/31/04 01:04 AM
Just took this for fun, 93% in 25 minutes. Weakest areas were general and exterior.

By the way, were a lot of the correct answers already highlighted when you took this test?
© ECN Electrical Forums