ECN Forum
Posted By: bfdpoc221 Outlets in new construction - 01/06/04 12:12 AM
I was asked by a mechanic in the shop how high to place outlets off the floor in his new house he is building. I tried to find something in my code book but can't seem to locate it. I'm an industrial sparky so I don't do much in the resi field. So if some of you resi guys could help, it would be great. This guy is trying to build this house himself and I am just trying to help a friend.
Posted By: fla sparkey Re: Outlets in new construction - 01/06/04 12:43 AM
I usually check the plans and if no height is specified the outlets go about hammer handle high or 16" oc. Swithces are 44" oc. Above the counters in the kitchen 48" oc. Hope this helps.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Outlets in new construction - 01/06/04 01:36 AM
There is no code for standard residential. Most receptacles are 16 to 18 inches to the center of the box. Whatever the customer desires. Switches around here seem to always be 48 inches to center.
Posted By: electricman2 Re: Outlets in new construction - 01/06/04 02:50 AM
Dont do much new construction, but I have heared it is best to keep switch boxes above or below 48". This keeps the rockers from filling the box with mud. Makes sense.
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Outlets in new construction - 01/06/04 03:00 AM
You might want to have a chat with the AHJ. That might save some work later on.
Posted By: rizer Re: Outlets in new construction - 01/06/04 09:09 AM
i think that building codes only cover handicap access in commercial locations for receptacles and switches. i usually pay close attention to the switch height and ask one very important question " are you going to use tile and if so what is the thickness, finished height, and starting line from the floor.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Outlets in new construction - 01/06/04 10:25 PM
Thinkgood, what does the AHJ have to do with this? Unless it is his house. This is a design issue more associated with aesthetics. If we have to consult the AHJ for plug and switch heights we are doomed! As for the box not getting filled with mud you would have to be below 42" or above 54". The mud guys use a 12" broadknife so anywhere within that span you are getting mud in the box. Really no big deal anyway.
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Outlets in new construction - 01/06/04 10:54 PM
Rizer: FYI, the clearances you speak of are from 15" to 48", measured AFF.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Outlets in new construction - 01/07/04 01:53 AM
As for hieght of receptacles, I don't believe that there any set height. Other than they have to be below the 5-1/2' as per 210.52. Unless you count a manufacture's instruction for say a type of refrigerator. The AHJ wouldn't have any say it that. I also thought in years past there was a section in the code book that prevented a receptacle from going below 2 feet in a garage. Maybe it was just a rule of thumb for good installation.
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Outlets in new construction - 01/07/04 01:58 AM
Harold: The garage height is a popular topic with me. Many belive that the mechanical code does not allow them less than 18", but I disagree, as per some of the definitions in the mechanical code.
Posted By: DougW Re: Outlets in new construction - 01/07/04 03:04 PM
I'll echo the 'consult the AHJ' advice. Our local BC requires 48"/GFCI in unfinished basements & garages ('finished' or not), but the outlet height in finished areas is usually left to builder discretion.

We usually install 12" AFF, and 42"AFF for switches.
Posted By: sparky Re: Outlets in new construction - 01/07/04 10:31 PM
about the only time i've heard of hieght restraints would be per ADA requirements, applicablity may differ from state to state, for instance i understand that here , every sixth apartment would need comply...

~S~
Posted By: harold endean Re: Outlets in new construction - 01/08/04 01:44 AM
Ryan,

That garage recptacle, has been in my mine for many years too. When I worked for my old boss (1975-1984) We were always told to keep those receptacles above 24". When I was in my own business ( 1984-1998 ) I almost always did it the same way. ( Force of habit.) I have been looking for a code section ( NEC, BOCA, IMC, NFPA, Etc.) maybe I am missing something.
© ECN Electrical Forums