ECN Forum
Posted By: sparkync Hand Dryers - 12/22/03 08:16 PM
I'm bidding a job where I have to install hand dryers in bathrooms. All the bathrooms where I've been, I've never seen a service disconnect. Looks like one would be required, especially in a setting where the breaker may be in a far remote panel, such as the one I'm doing in a large clinic where there is several thousand square feet of space. Maybe it's not required?????? Thanks Steve.....
Posted By: iwire Re: Hand Dryers - 12/22/03 08:24 PM
422.31(B) Appliances Rated Over 300 Volt-Amperes or 1/8 Horsepower.
For permanently connected appliances rated over 300 volt-amperes or 1/8 hp, the branch-circuit switch or circuit breaker shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means where the switch or circuit breaker is within sight from the appliance or is capable of being locked in the open position.

Just make sure you provide a lock out kit on the breakers feeding the dryers.

Talk to the breaker suppler you can get a lockout kit made for the breaker that stays mounted to it.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Hand Dryers - 12/22/03 09:29 PM
A Burger King restaurant I freuqent has the hand dryer connected to an adjacent GFCI receptacle by a short (1-foot) piece of extension cord.

With the ground pin chopped off the molded-on (and scorched) cord-cap. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 12-22-2003).]
Posted By: sparkync Re: Hand Dryers - 12/22/03 09:33 PM
iwire, Thanks for the response, I went and got my trusty code book out. I think mine will fall under the one above the article you gave me. Mine will be under 300 volt/amperes or 1/8 Horsepower, so the disconnecting means can be the branch circuit overcurrent device... Thanks for the help. Steve [Linked Image]
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Hand Dryers - 12/22/03 09:35 PM
Sparky: The ones I remember installing where like 1500VA+
Posted By: sparkync Re: Hand Dryers - 12/22/03 09:37 PM
SvenNYC, Thanks for the reply, I was sorta thinking on a little more "upgrade quality" than that way though [Linked Image]
Posted By: iwire Re: Hand Dryers - 12/22/03 09:40 PM
Your welcome Steve.

But I do agree with Ryan a hand dryer less than 300VA seems unlikely.

16 amp 120 or 10 amp 240 are both ratings I normally see.
Posted By: sparkync Re: Hand Dryers - 12/22/03 09:47 PM
Ryan, iwire, I'm sure you're probably right, I think I done some wrong figuring here. Thanks for keeping me straight [Linked Image] Steve..
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: Hand Dryers - 12/23/03 12:29 AM
A Burger King restaurant I frequent ...
..Sven I'm surprised at you...don't ya know that crap'll kill you..?? [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: ComputerWizKid Re: Hand Dryers - 12/23/03 01:47 PM
The hand dryer or the food [Linked Image]
Posted By: sparkync Re: Hand Dryers - 12/23/03 03:40 PM
How is it I never see a disconnect in bathrooms with hand dryers. I'm talking new buildings like Burger King etc./ with the exception of Sven's cord and plug [Linked Image] It's obvious they had to be inspected??? All I see is the hand dryer itself???? Steve..
Posted By: sparkync Re: Hand Dryers - 12/23/03 07:22 PM
Never mind the reply on that last question. I overlooked the code that says, " it has to be in site of "OR" be able to be locked in the open position" .. Thanks anyway.... Steve...
© ECN Electrical Forums