ECN Forum
Posted By: Attic Rat Ok, now I'm GROSSED OUT!! - 12/17/03 10:41 PM
...Today we were working in the kitchen of a pizzeria, and in executing our task...{to bring up 2 20amp feeds for some quad receptacles}..(GFI protected of coz),..I moved a plug-in xfrmr that was on the floor to get it outta my way, and a LEGION of big,fat roaches scattered in 10,000 directions...{They must have been nesting there,cause of the heat of the x-frmr},I jumped out of the way,grabbing my tool bag,as I did the "cockroach dance" and made a bee-line for the door....yukkkkkkk!! and to think my wife and I USED to eat there...never again tho'........ [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Attic Rat (edited 12-17-2003).]
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Ok, now I'm GROSSED OUT!! - 12/17/03 11:42 PM
AR:

That's a real gross-out, though not very uncommon, unfortunately.

If you visit NYC, you can check here before you eat [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by ThinkGood (edited 12-17-2003).]
Posted By: walrus Re: Ok, now I'm GROSSED OUT!! - 12/17/03 11:47 PM
Hey,
Roaches like good pizza too [Linked Image]
Posted By: golf junkie Re: Ok, now I'm GROSSED OUT!! - 12/17/03 11:51 PM
Restaurants are the worst!

The local cafe called one day, the chicken fryer was down. When I removed the cover the control box was 100% full of lard.....and yes I cleaned it out and repaired the problem.

The cleanest restuarants are the fast food chains. No one else comes close.

GJ
Posted By: qopanel Re: Ok, now I'm GROSSED OUT!! - 12/18/03 03:33 AM
We used to have the service contract at all the local KFC's. I saw my little friends in everyone of the them. Needless to say I have never eaten at KFC since.
Posted By: amp-man Re: Ok, now I'm GROSSED OUT!! - 12/18/03 04:15 AM
The public health inspectors I know don't eat out much...

Cliff
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Ok, now I'm GROSSED OUT!! - 12/18/03 04:20 AM
What is it about roaches and electrical appliances and components? They love hanging around that stuff.

Then again...what is it about NEW YORK CITY and roaches in general? ACK....

Hmm...qopanel, I wonder if you just discovered one of Kentucky Fried Chicken's secret "spices"..... [Linked Image]
Posted By: smokumchevy Re: Ok, now I'm GROSSED OUT!! - 12/18/03 09:23 AM
Up here in Canada is no hunny either, especially in the China Towns.... I dread the calls the most.

Ok, the quick in/out jobs are tollerable (kinda) but a new service in a Vietnamese restaurant leaves me retching with the aging fish, fresh slautered (various) animals and guts all over the floor, not to mention critters of unknown origins.

Gimme an attic over this anyday, lol..

-Greg
Posted By: sparked Re: Ok, now I'm GROSSED OUT!! - 12/18/03 07:52 PM
sven i would guess the heat would attract them. Are you sven weil from rec.antiques.radio+phono? Roaches and other insects like old tube radios i think because of the heat available there.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Ok, now I'm GROSSED OUT!! - 12/18/03 09:11 PM
Sparked:

Yep. One and the same. Funny how the roach topic also has shown up here....I'm still reeling from my aunt's roach-filled ghetto-blaster that she had asked me to look at last week.
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: Ok, now I'm GROSSED OUT!! - 12/19/03 02:13 AM
I'm still reeling from my aunt's roach-filled ghetto-blaster that she had asked me to look at last week.
..I hear you man,...you would think they would fry or something..climbin' over live wires like that...must be that high impedance,exo-skeleton that they sport...I think I'll get me a suit made of that stuff, and throw caution to the wind...then I'll call myself...Attic Roach [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Attic Rat (edited 12-18-2003).]
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Ok, now I'm GROSSED OUT!! - 12/19/03 02:20 AM
Mmmm....roaches

[Linked Image from synergizedsolutions.com]
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: Ok, now I'm GROSSED OUT!! - 12/19/03 03:47 AM
I cut into a wall in an apartment to fish a new feeder to a panel one time, and cut into a motherlode of roaches. Literally HUNDREDS of the damned things, dead and alive, pouring out of the hole!

Had to dump out all the toolboxes on the sidewalk to make sure i didn't infest my truck! Showered 3 times before I felt clean.

And the tenant actually got ticked off that I refused to finish my work till the place was fumigated! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: Ok, now I'm GROSSED OUT!! - 12/19/03 03:55 AM
And the tenant actually got ticked off that I refused to finish my work till the place was fumigated!
...UGGGHHH!!! they probably didn't mind that you hit the "motherlode"...as they're probably accustomed to them...I don't blame ya for leavin'...
Posted By: pauluk Re: Ok, now I'm GROSSED OUT!! - 12/19/03 11:45 AM
I guess you'll all be pleased to hear that these beasties are pretty rare in England!
Posted By: Thomas Burton Illig Re: Ok, now I'm GROSSED OUT!! - 12/19/03 02:11 PM
I got a call one Thanksgiving Eve, by a landlord who had a rental that half the lights and the furnace were out. Got there and immediately went to the basement to check out the problem. The place seemed clean,(first mistake), pointed my flashlight around to find the panel and starting walking towards it,as I took the first step,(second mistake) I heard a crunch and thought not much of it til the second and third, pointed the light to the floor and there were cockroaches everywhere... Scurry, scurry . Now comes the fight or flight instinct, what do I do run like h*ll, or fix the problem, it was 23 degrees outside and these people had no heat.
The problem was not that big a deal just the working conditions, and having to share the work space with another tennant.

Those insects, by far, have got to be the most disgusting bugs in the entire world.
The whole problem when "Forced" to work around them is you have to check you clothes and feet so as to be sure not to take one of them with you, it only takes one.
The landlord had to have 3 anti-bug treatments before they were gone, or so he says, I have not gone back there since.

Tom ( I hate roaches) Illig
Posted By: wolfdog Re: Ok, now I'm GROSSED OUT!! - 12/19/03 03:47 PM
I went to check out a vacant building that had been a culinary school. (Cooking school)

Opened the door and turned on the light in one room and a HERD of cockroaches headed for the door....where I was standing.
They were so big you could hear them running.
They must have ate well to get that big.

It was kind of fun......the big ones pop when you step on them.
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Ok, now I'm GROSSED OUT!! - 12/21/03 02:11 AM
It was kind of fun......the big ones pop when you step on them.

I'll stick to popping plastic bubbles, thank you.
© ECN Electrical Forums