ECN Forum
Posted By: ds247 voltage sensors - 12/17/03 03:07 AM
I am in the hvac field and would like a recommendation for non-contact voltage sensor or wandmeter as I have heard it called (the kind that looks like a fat pen). I currently have one that I bought for about 12 dollars at Home Depot but it is unreliable. Can anyone suggest a brand and model that will work reliably, widely available and is reasonably priced? Thanks.
Posted By: Jim M Re: voltage sensors - 12/17/03 03:13 AM
I like the Fluke model. About $17 or so.
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: voltage sensors - 12/17/03 03:36 AM
I've got a greenlee that works pretty good. Several of my guys use one made by Ideal that I like a little better.

All of them will give you false positives from time to time and won't register a positive if the wire is wet or humidity is just right. After a while you learn when to trust it and when not to trust it. They come in handy, but if you're not carefull they'll get you hurt.
Posted By: Sandro Re: voltage sensors - 12/17/03 03:50 AM
I just picked up a GB version of the 'sniffer'. This one has a sensitivity adjustment which I have found useful. The other one (non adjustable) GB makes had far more false readings. Anybody else have good sucess with this unit?
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: voltage sensors - 12/17/03 01:47 PM
My guys have the "Fluke" pen model...I still have my "Greenlee" pen, but I don't put all my trust into it...if I'm leery, I drag out my "Etcon" solenoid-type tester...there've been quite a few times that I've gotten false readings, and then I recheck with the solenoid, and there's no voltage present....
© ECN Electrical Forums